Anyone collect Vietnam bring back weapons?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    The most valuable weapon, at least to me, was bringing back myself in one piece! I did bring back a Russian Simonov SKS which was found in a cache, along with 74 more in the Ashau Valley. A few years ago, I gave it away to my daughter who was born when I was there.
    Thats what my brother would say also. He served near the DMZ in 1969, nothing but horror stories. He recently sent me info and his story about being sent to help a Special Forces outpost being over run, not a good story, none of them were...wasn't for the grace of God literally he wouldn't be here.....the only thing he brought back were the demons, it never completely stops for him. He has always told me what to say to Nam Vets....."Welcome home brother."

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Thats what my brother would say also. He served near the DMZ in 1969, nothing but horror stories. He recently sent me info and his story about being sent to help a Special Forces outpost being over run, not a good story, none of them were...wasn't for the grace of God literally he wouldn't be here.....the only thing he brought back were the demons, it never completely stops for him. He has always told me what to say to Nam Vets....."Welcome home brother."
    Tell him "Wecome home brother!" from me. I hope he has learned how to live with his demons.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    One thing I did when I gifted some guns to relatives is write down the guns' stories. This not only works for war trophies, but law enforcement guns and others with an interesting history. The value is in the human connection.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    BE MIKE thanks for your service sir!
    I'll start with the VC Pistol: Its a VC crudely made copy of a 1911. It was captured by a Advisor to the 25th Division 2nd Battalion ARVN 49th Infantry regiment on May, 29 1967. No associated paperwork came with it. Looks like some battle damage near the magazine well. I'm not an expert on these but from what I gathered on the net they made multiple copies of these and I think I have a Type 2. I think its a blow-back type action.
    View attachment 170886 View attachment 170887
    Ok that’s really cool! I’ve read about the underground factories making “1911 clones” but seeing one (or actually owning one is really cool!) I’d be scared as hell to shoot one, but it sitting in the safe would be awesome!) and I love the grip screws (1 slotted and one Phillips!)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Very ill older friend gifted me a bring back SKS. It felt wrong having it. I don't know how to describe it, like I had no claim to the title as I did not suffer as some did. Imposter syndrome or somethingrelated.

Donated it instead.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Very ill older friend gifted me a bring back SKS. It felt wrong having it. I don't know how to describe it, like I had no claim to the title as I did not suffer as some did. Imposter syndrome or somethingrelated.

Donated it instead.
    You should have not felt guilty. I tried to donate my SKS to a couple of museums. They didn’t want it because it wasn’t in as new condition.

Vietnam1965

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2021
    South Florida
    1944 Russian Izhevsk Mosin-Nagant M44 brought home from Vietnam by a combat corpsman of the 1st Marine Division. I'm still trying to research the vet who passed in 2013 but so far an impressive military record. His obituary stated; While serving in the military he earned two Purple Hearts, one National Defense Service Medal, one Vietnam Service Medal with/FMF Combat Operations Insignia, one Vietnam Campaign Medal with/Device (1960), one Combat Action Ribbon, and one Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry with Bronze Palm in Gold Frame.

The previous owner took the bring back papers off the stock. Also notice what appears to be blood stains on the sling.
    M44-8.png M44-9.png IMG_0468.jpg M44-14.png M44-15.png M44-16a.png

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    I picked up a double capture Japanese Type 38 carbine earlier this year…taken from the Japanese and then Vietnam. The seller had the capture paperwork for the SKS but was lost for this rifle. With these markings, I don’t think it needs paperwork.

I find the “X” mark interesting. Similar to Russian capture K98 stamp but there is very little information regarding weapons captured by USSR in the closing days of WW2.

5ff87567eb15a88995a6062939eee8fa.jpg

9e26ab5507679f318ad1533e25d69a45.jpg

9a318efb8648c46ada4f4f6d4b68f762.jpg

Vietnam1965

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2021
    South Florida
    Captain Peter Adams brought back this Chinese Type 53 carbine after the end of his 3rd tour in Vietnam. He served in the U.S. Army from 1966-69 in the following units: Troop B 7th Squadron, 1st Air Cav Regiment; C Troop 3rd Squadron, 17th Air Cavalry Regiment; Troop D 6th Squadron 1st Armored Cav Regiment. Thanks to Matt for finding all this interesting information especially that Captain Adams was a direct descendant of Presidents John and John Quincy Adams.
    IMG_3832.jpg IMG_3833.jpg a1(2).jpg a1a.jpg a3(2).jpg a3a(1).jpg a3c.jpg paper.png

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Very cool thread. You sir have been quite the historical asset in the short amount of time that you have been a member here. Your stories and photographs are very much appreciated. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Last edited:

Fallschirmjaeger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    Noblesville
    My dad did three tours, including as an advisor in 1964. He did not bring back any war trophy guns, unfortunately, but he has the next best thing: some personally owned weapons he used to carry for personal protection in combat (including during his last tour in MACV in Saigon when, incredibly, the military had banned such a thing by 1968): a baby Browning .25 brought over to Vietnam for him by an Army general for whom he served as an aide and a Colt Single Action Army .45 with ivory grips he had made by a shop in Saigon. They are priceless family heirlooms and have some interesting stories to go along with them. Unfortunately, an accurized 1911a1 was stolen from his footlocker while he was on leave back to the US, and that one never made it back (at least not with him).

It kills me that he had some personally owned subguns, too: M1 Thompson and M2 Carbine that he could have brought back and amnesty registered in 1968! As he tells it, the Army’s policies on personal weapons changed big time from his first tour in 1964.

Vietnam1965

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2021
    South Florida
    Thanks for all the nice comments guys! Just when I think my collection can't get any better!!

I was going to wait until I had the rifle in hand next week but was excited to share this historical piece with everyone. I've been eyeing this rifle for 6 months now and finally decided to get it. I think it belongs in a USMC museum but for now will reside in my collection! I also purchased a few vintage pictures of the General and will post them along with better pictures then what the dealer provided.
    Presentation rifle issued to USMC Brigadier General Fredrick J. Karch for his part in the landing of the Marines at Beach Red, Danang, South Vietnam an March 8, 1965. An event highly publicized in the American press at the time including an article in the March 19th, 1965 issue of Life Magazine. This historically significant United States Marine Corps Vietnam War artifact was sold by his daughter to a shop in the general’s hometown along with other of his items. A letter from General Karch’s daughter was provided with the grouping attesting to the rifles authenticity. The General had a hell of a military career. The following was his obituary in 2009: Born August 9, 1917 in Carmi, Illinois as Frederick Joseph, Fred was the first of three sons and one daughter of Henry J. and Flora C. Karch. His early childhood was spent on the family farm in Southern Illinois, until Henry became Principal of Carmi Township High School, where Fred graduated with an ingrained regard for the critical importance of formal education. After a year at the University of Illinois in preparation, he received an appointment to the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, from which he graduated in June 1940 and was commissioned a Second Lieutenant in the Marine Corps, and attended Basic School at the Philadelphia Navy Yard. Trained as a Basic Artillery Officer 0802, Fred served successively with the 10th Marines, 2nd Marine Division and the 12th Marines, 3rd Marine Division, as World War II broke out. Then Captain Karch joined the 14th Marines, 4th Marine Division, serving a Battery Commander, and Operations Officer through the Pacific Campaigns of Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian, and Iwo Jima. Returning in 1945 as a Lieutenant Colonel, Fred was awarded the Legion of Merit and the Bronze Star, both with combat "V" for meritorious service. After various duties and attendance of artillery and amphibious warfare schools, he attended and served as a staff member of the Canadian Army Staff College in Kingston, Ontario. Transferred to Camp Lejeune, in 1951 he again served with the 10th Marines as Battalion Commander, Regimental Executive Officer and 2nd Marine Division G-1 and Secretary of the Joint Landing Force Board. Transferred to the United Nations/Far East Command in Tokyo, Japan as Chief of the Intelligence Plans Section, he was promoted to Colonel in 1957. On completion of the Senior School at Quantico, Virginia, Colonel Karch returned to Camp Lejeune to command the 10th Marines, and serve as Assistant Chief of Staff (G-3) of the 2nd Marine Division. After completion of the Army War College at Carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania he served at Headquarters Marine Corps in Arlington, Virginia, where he also attained his Masters Degree from George Washington University. He was promoted to Brigadier General on July 1, 1964. Transferred to Okinawa in 1964 he served as Assistant Division Commander of the 3rd Marine Division, and as Commanding General of the 9th Marine Expeditionary Brigade directed the landing of American forces at Beach Red, Danang, South Vietnam an March 8, 1965. He was awarded a second Legion of Merit with combat "V" for his meritorious service. In the few days preceding the landing, Karch commented that the weather was the worst that he had experienced. When inhabitants of the friendly beach greeted the arriving Marines and photographs were taken, Karch was never seen to smile. When this was queried, he replied "... if I had to do it over, that picture would have been the same. When you have a son in Vietnam and he gets killed, you don't want a smiling general with flowers around his neck as leader at that point." He returned to Quantico as Director of the Command and Staff College, from which he retired on June 30, 1967 after devoting 31 years to the military.(Washington Times).

His medals include: Legion of Merit w/ 2 award stars & valor device, Bronze Star w/ valor device, Army Commendation Medal, Navy Presidential Unit Citation, Navy Unit Commendation, American Defense Service Medal, American Campaign Medal, European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal w/ 4 service stars, World War II Victory Medal, National Defense Service Medal w/ 1 service star, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Vietnam Service Medal, Vietnam Gallantry Cross unit citation, and Vietnam Campaign Medal.
    Fred3.png Fred1.png Fred2.png canvas.png p012.jpg
    48767462_1395421265.jpg

Top Bottom