• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeremy032

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2014
    La Porte
    So I got a wicked 403IC hunting light last week to take out coyotes. The light was shipped with the green light installed but with the kit I got the red and white LED's also. Tonight I could hear the coyotes hollowing out back. Went out on the deck and shined it out in the field and seen 6 eyeballs or 3 coyotes staring my way. Unfortunately one took off and the other two were frozen for a minute or so and then took off. The census I gather is either red or green will work but green is better with hogs and red for coyotes but neither can see that light spectrum. I would imagine they ran due to the brightness but not really sure. Regardless I was shocked when they took off on a green light beam. Tomorrow night I will try the red. Originally, I got the light to hunt them at my in laws cow farm and plan on using an AR. I would like to try to take out the ones behind my house first, but having close neighbors they probably would freak out with a gunshot at 2am. So I guess my question is has anyone or does anyone hunt coyotes with a crossbow in Indiana? Over the summer I bought a Tenpoint Nitro RDX that is a tack driver out of the box and I love it, it's just a well built machine. My only concern is If I am able to take out a coyote I want to get a full mount done with it, will a broad head ruin the fur making the mount impossible? Thank you in advance for any input or advice anyone has.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Try not to light them up with the center of the beam. Use the halo and they won't spook as easily. If they are in crosbow range they are in shotgun range. One shot at night would go unnoticed in my area. Well, except for one guy.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    As others have stated use red filter and not the beam right at them. Point the light up and use the spill to search around. I had great success with a decoy and an electronic caller. Takes all the attention off of you and your movement.

I wouldn't waste time with a bow of any kind. Blast away. If you must you could step it down to a 22 mag or something with a little less pop.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    a 17HMR might be just the thing. Still loud but not like an AR or center fire.

You might try talking with the neighbors. They might want you to take the population down in your area.

Top Bottom