• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Old convention was that you were supposed to split the #/sq ft and apply it in perpendicular directions to avoid lines.

So, if the package says to use setting 4.0, today, are you doing a single application at 4.0, a double application at 4.0 (perpendicular directions) or a double application at 2.0?

RugerRog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indy
    I use Scotts. I dont do the 4 step program. I use the Yellow bag of weed and feed 2 or 3x per year because we are fighting dandelions, thistle, and clover. I do the Winterizer in November. It works pretty well.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    When I first read that, I thought it said urine.

Well, technically it is. Urea is typically chicken manure, and birds dont pee per se; its mixed in with their poop. So its basically chicken pee. Urea is REALLY good at accelerating the breakdown of organics. I apply it in the fall to my garden on top of the mulched leaves and grass to help break them down quicker while adding nitrogen to the soil.

I also know someone with a privacy fenced backyard that accelerates his composter with his son in law's leftover homebrew beer (the flat remnants that cant be dispensed as well as pour offs). Also, during pool parties that involve copious amounts of beer, it becomes a urinal. (its hidden between the fence and the minibarn so revelers cant see it from the pool/deck, nor can the neighbors)

You rang?

No, I think this call is for me. :):

I have used triple 12 for years and it helps. I also mix it with some epsom salts and sugar immediately before spreading. Just dont let it sit around. The sugar absorbs moisture and it clumps BAD, ruining its ability to spread enough to not burn spots in your lawn. Haven found that out the hard way when he took my excess mix for his lawn. Even overnight can be too long apparently.

Ive also heard that around here you can swap two of the steps for better results but I dont recall which two. Spring and summer? Dick Crum famed Purdue Ag guy on 93.1FM suggests it. I just emailed the show to find out what they suggest. I'll chime in when I hear back.

I think Timmy was familiar with fertilizer.

But the problem is if you use his recipe and spread it, it is much more akin to this:
    http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/i/spin/image/spin_prod_1029090412

Just dont smoke while applying it. Trust me. :):

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Urea fertilizer is not chicken pee! It is processed carbon dioxide reacted with anhydrous ammonia.

Scotts products are very high in N for a spring app. They appeal to your senses by making the grass green which we think means healthy. In reality very little N is needed now. All it really does is make you mow sooner and more often.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Urea fertilizer is not chicken pee! It is processed carbon dioxide reacted with anhydrous ammonia.

That. As a mass produced chemical compound you are correct.

But chicken manure is very high in urea if you are the organic type. And studies have shown that chicken manure is more effective than urea alone.

And Pat Sullivan from the Home and Garden Show is quick to respond with the alternate 4 step application:

Step1-*
    Step 3-August
    Step 2-mid-September
    Step-4-late October
    You'll need some liquid weed killer in the spring to knock down weeds before the complete kill in sept

*he appears to have skipped that application date, so assume the regular time

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    All this effort to grow a weed :scratch:

The each his own, I suppose. I would rather look at dandelions and let the clover turn into steaks and honey.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    That. As a mass produced chemical compound you are correct.

But chicken manure is very high in urea if you are the organic type. And studies have shown that chicken manure is more effective than urea alone.

And Pat Sullivan from the Home and Garden Show is quick to respond with the alternate 4 step application:

*he appears to have skipped that application date, so assume the regular time

You do NOT want to spread chicken poop on your yard, you have no idea the parasites/diseases/bacteria that is in it.

Urea comes in a liquid or granular form, nitrogen is not needed in spring, the grass/soil is full of it, it will make it green earlier which will really set it back if you get a hard frost.

When I said urea was needed I was not joking, this is what is spread on commercial hay fields, it will pump/plump your yard up like you have never seen. Use the nitrogen fertilizer in the summer when the grass starts to wear down and again in the fall.

The absolute best time to fertilize is at the very end of fall when the ground is frozen, you want zero nitrogen and all winter for the soil pH to build. I have spread fertilizer in snow before, great results.

Great lawns take years to build, it takes around 6 months for sulphur to show in the pH, lime can take a year, you can see how this would add up to take a long time to get the soil where it needs to be as you cannot apply a full dose in one setting, even one year for that matter.

Don't forget lime neutralizes nitrogen, they cannot be applied at the same time.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    All this effort to grow a weed :scratch:

The each his own, I suppose. I would rather look at dandelions and let the clover turn into steaks and honey.

I grew up with a yard full of dandelions and liked them. "the field" part of our property was an acre of field that Grandma used to lease out. By the time I came about it was returned to residential lawn use. But it was by my estimation 50% dandelion. So it was a gorgeous yellow many times of the year.

Today my wife fights the dandelion, but we let the other things like clover and the little white orb flowers the size of a marble alone. We dont apply anything but 12-12-12 and then spot treat the dandelions. Heck, we have a 15'x15' patch of weird ground cover that is very dense. Its not grass, but it is green so we are OK with it.

At the end of the day, as long as its green and doesnt hurt when you step on it with bare feet (like bull thistle) I'm cool with it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You do NOT want to spread chicken poop on your yard, you have no idea the parasites/diseases/bacteria that is in it.

What do you know, are you are farmer or something? :):

My bad. I muddied the water with mentioning my fall garden ritual, as well as not being clear on what I use. I use composted chicken manure (kills the bad stuff), or urea if I cant find that. But that only goes on the garden, never the lawn. (cheap) petrochemicals for the win there. :):

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I grew up with a yard full of dandelions and liked them. "the field" part of our property was an acre of field that Grandma used to lease out. By the time I came about it was returned to residential lawn use. But it was by my estimation 50% dandelion. So it was a gorgeous yellow many times of the year.

Today my wife fights the dandelion, but we let the other things like clover and the little white orb flowers the size of a marble alone. We dont apply anything but 12-12-12 and then spot treat the dandelions. Heck, we have a 15'x15' patch of weird ground cover that is very dense. Its not grass, but it is green so we are OK with it.

At the end of the day, as long as its green and doesnt hurt when you step on it with bare feet (like bull thistle) I'm cool with it.

I just like to poke fun, really. What another person does with their ground is none of my business. Pave it for all I care. :D

But if your wife is into health food at all, there isn't much better than dandelion. It's fairly bitter, but very good for you.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Now I know the bodily waste habits of chickens. I've gone all these decades and been oblivious. How in the world did I survive with so much ignorance?

corngrower

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    As a farm manager for a large central Indiana crop farm. The best way to have a weed free environment is to have strong crops. In this case you want to select for grass and no broadleaf weeds. Use a broad spectrum broadleaf herbicide that has 2-4-d and a dicamba product in the fall and a crab grass prevent product in the spring. Most of the dandelions and other weeds you fight spring and summer germinate in the cool fall months. These are cheap and easy to buy from farm stores like rural King and orcheln . Get the soil tested as recommended above. You can grow a beautiful lawn without nitrogen if you apply sulfur, Pell lime, and some iron. The goal is a lush thick lawn that is green without the rapid growth that a high nitrogen product causes. Just because a lawn is green and you mow twice a week is a poor indicator of soil and plant health.

Top Bottom