• ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Looking for an all wheel drive dependable car. What's your experience? What kind of mileage do you get? I'm a multi-state outside salesman, so ride comfort and highway mileage is a consideration. If you have one, are you going to buy another?

I like that they are built right here in Indiana and I often have to go way up north in the winter, so I would like an all wheel drive car.

Thanks

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I've got an Outback Sport (Impreza) wagon. I've owned and driven AWD Toyotas, Nissans, Hondas, Fords and 4WD Jeeps, Fords, Chevy, Toyotas. The AWD application in Subarus is better for snowy, icy roads than any other I've driven.

Mileage? With the H4, in the mid / upper twenties on the interstate. H6? I'm not certain. We used to own an Outback (Legacy.) It was great too.

I would still rate Toyota as marginally more dependable and Honda with marginally better build quality. Only marginally though.

I would buy one again.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I don't have one... Nor do I have any close friends who have them.

BUT, you'll be hard pressed to find many bad things said about them.

We tried out the seats on a Forester before we bought our Mini-van, but it was too small for us. We couldn't get our baby seat in the rear while having the front seats comfortable for driving / riding. (We're both a few inches over 6')

Don't be afraid of looking at their other models besides the Outback. The Forester, while slightly smaller, is still a heck of a vehicle. It's classified as an SUV, though, rather than a car. This does affect insurance rates. And then there's the Legacy, which is, essentially, the sedan version of the Outback.

Last: I've also heard lots of good things about the Falcone dealership in Speedway. That's quite a haul from where you are, however. Probably easier to get to a dealership in Cincy.

-J-

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    I have an 07 Outback. I love everything about and if something happens to it, I will get another.

All of my hobbies end up with me having to transport"stuff" all over the place and the Outback does it well, in all weather. The AWD system works beautifully, it never feels any differently, it just goes.

The only ding is that the fuel economy is a little low. ~26 Hwy, but it does do ~24 in town.

If you can, get the foul weather package: Deep floor mats, heated mirrors, windshield wiper defroster.

I bought mine at Duke Gold's (now Falcone). Good people to deal with in my experience.

I had a co-worker comment this week that "rides nice and goes down the road well". :)

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I'm on my 3rd Subaru. I had a Tribeca, and now I'm on my second Forester. I will probably own nothing other than a Subaru for the rest of my life. Up until recently they have been a well kept secret. I see more on the road every day. It is IMO the best AWD system out there bar none. I get an average of 25 mpg. The Outback is a little smaller, so the mileage might be a little better.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    We have two now... Baja and a Forester. Both older and with tons of miles on them. They live forever if you take care of them. Expect 25 mpg - you won't get GREAT mileage out of them. But they will live forever, and on ice, snow and ugly road situations, they are one of the best bets around.

joshuamckee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Franklin
    subaru legacy wagon awd

I have a 1999 subaru legacy wagon awd with a 2.2 and auto trans and I am getting around 25 mpg.One thing to watch out for with the auto trans if it hesitates going into drive it will only get worse its due to worn out o rings letting fluid pass by it will only go into gear if you give it gas and build up pressure.A transmission cost around 2500.00 so be careful.

snowdrifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Next to Atterbury
    The GF has a 2010 Subaru Legacy with the 2.5L and CVT. She averages about 30MPG, which I find impressive for a decent sized sedan with AWD. If I didn't need a truck, I would probably own a Subaru.

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    Looking for an all wheel drive dependable car. What's your experience? What kind of mileage do you get? I'm a multi-state outside salesman, so ride comfort and highway mileage is a consideration. If you have one, are you going to buy another?

I like that they are built right here in Indiana and I often have to go way up north in the winter, so I would like an all wheel drive car.

Thanks

I had a 1996 Subaru Legacy Outback (station wagon) that I drove for a few years and sold 2 years ago. I loved it. It averaged about 22 mpg. It rode nice and handled well. I loved the AWD.

jimmyw86

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Broad Ripple
    Ive been selling subarus the last 4 years and the Outbacks get about 24-25mpg and i've seen customers get anywhere from 31-34mpg on the highway. If you need to know anything about them, let me know and I'll be more than happy to help you out. I'm located at Tom Wood Subaru on 96th and keystone. If anyone has a friend or family and they need a new or used vehicle, I'll give you 100 dollars if I sell them.

jimmyw86

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Broad Ripple
    the 24-25 is city driving. Since 2010 they got in a new CVT transmission which helps with the better gas mileage. Its a great dependable vehicle thats #1 in AWD, safety and re sale value. I drive a 2011 Subaru Wrx and love it.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I should also note: Whenever our kids (only one now...and only 10mos old) are out of the car seat phases of life, I plan on putting Suburu on our "need to seriously consider" list when our Altima gives up the ghost.

Bad thing is: Used Suburus are hard to find AND are more expensive-than-competition due to being such good & in-demand vehicles.

-J-

jimmyw86

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Broad Ripple
    I should also note: Whenever our kids (only one now...and only 10mos old) are out of the car seat phases of life, I plan on putting Suburu on our "need to seriously consider" list when our Altima gives up the ghost.

Bad thing is: Used Suburus are hard to find AND are more expensive-than-competition due to being such good & in-demand vehicles.

-J-

couldn't agree with you more. The average Subaru owner keeps their vehicle for 8-12 years. I tell customers that are looking for a used 09-10 to get a brand new one b/c there isn't a huge difference in cost. Our A,B and C pillars are composed of 8 layers of high intensity steel. They had a fire department do testing on those because they were wondering why it was so hard for the jaws of life to cut through them.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Yes, actually my wife. We purchased a new 2010 Outback a year and a half ago. We love it. There have been several threads about them where I posted about it. Here you go:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/181389-midsize_suv_shopping_requesting_ideas.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/180189-opinions_on_used_suvs.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/111012-big_1_for_falcone_vw_subaru_saab.html

We will always have a Subaru in our fleet. We get around 26mpg city and 29ish on the highway loaded down with 4 adults and tons of gear.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I own a 2010 Outback with the 2.4l i4 and CVT. I've owned it for a bit over 2 years and have roughly 55K miles on it. I drive all over Indy for work as well as Louisville and Cincinnati at times. With summer gas I get around 32mpg on the highway, right now I get around 26. The car is super reliable, I love the color, I only have a few issues with it:

1) It's no speed demon. Granted, I get great MPG so that's to be expected.
    2) Interior colors SUCK. Dark colored Outbacks could only get light colored interiors. I have the light tan interior and my kids have done their worst to it. Invest in seat covers.

A_Brit_In_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Greenwood, Indiana
    Subaru's are a fine car, I repair many of them and it's easy to get high 20's-low 30's if you keep your foot out of the gas.
    I still think the Audi is by far the best AWD system (not 4x4, that would be a Land Rover) followed by the Subaru followed by the Mercedes Benz 4matic, BMW's X-Drive is very good also.
    Several things to remember about the Subaru, a major timing belt repair is due at 105k miles, they have a tendency to have cylinder head gasket leaks (oil & coolant) and because most of the underside is not undersealed you may have to deal with some very rusty suspension/steering components later

Top Bottom