• ...and so much more!
  • trillobite

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Muncie
    I would have sworn I posted in a identical thread a few weeks ago?:dunno:
    1998 and 1999 Outbacks here. Bought my wife the 1999, like it so much I got myself a 1998. Pulled both engines, did the timing belt service and replaced the head gaskets (used copper coat on them), cost about $900 in parts on each engine, doing all the recommended stuff on the Subaru forums. Mine is around the 275,000 mile point. Haven't driven my CJ7 nearly as much, my Outback spanks it in the winter.
    2-15-2009%20013.jpg

Did I mention I'm a little rough on my vehicles?
    10-17-10_181.jpg

Despite how it looks, the engine was one of the easiest I've worked on.
    index.php

jimmyw86

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Broad Ripple
    Subaru's are a fine car, I repair many of them and it's easy to get high 20's-low 30's if you keep your foot out of the gas.
    I still think the Audi is by far the best AWD system (not 4x4, that would be a Land Rover) followed by the Subaru followed by the Mercedes Benz 4matic, BMW's X-Drive is very good also.
    Several things to remember about the Subaru, a major timing belt repair is due at 105k miles, they have a tendency to have cylinder head gasket leaks (oil & coolant) and because most of the underside is not undersealed you may have to deal with some very rusty suspension/steering components later

Most Subarus now (except the boxer 4 Legacy and Outback) come with a timing chain. The head gaskets are much better than they were back in the late 90's early 2000's. I love the quattro system but its still a reactive system and it takes about 2 full tire rotations for it to fully engage.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Hey Jimmyw86:

Suggestion to you as a car salesman -

Have you ever thought about buying a second hand car seat to have "on hand" when people are car shopping?

I don't know why more dealerships / salesfolks don't do this. Plenty of people look to change vehicles as kids are born. And it's amazing how much back-seat room those seats, especially the rear-facing ones, take up!

Not that I'd ever use one for actual kid transport, but picking up a used one from a garage sale might be a good investment?

Anyhow, just an unsolicited suggestion. hehe

-J-

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    i loved my outback....perfect for gun owners, pet owners, and anyone that wants the convenience of being able to load a bunch of crap in the back without a big pickup truck....they are even fun to drive

jimmyw86

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Broad Ripple
    Hey Jimmyw86:

Suggestion to you as a car salesman -

Have you ever thought about buying a second hand car seat to have "on hand" when people are car shopping?

I don't know why more dealerships / salesfolks don't do this. Plenty of people look to change vehicles as kids are born. And it's amazing how much back-seat room those seats, especially the rear-facing ones, take up!

Not that I'd ever use one for actual kid transport, but picking up a used one from a garage sale might be a good investment?

Anyhow, just an unsolicited suggestion. hehe

-J-

Thats def not a bad idea. Most people bring theirs when they come in but some do forget. I like how some customers ask me to help them put a car seat in. I wish I could but insurance doesn't let us.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Thats def not a bad idea. Most people bring theirs when they come in but some do forget. I like how some customers ask me to help them put a car seat in. I wish I could but insurance doesn't let us.

We never buy a car without loading up the entire family and making sure we all fit. 2 car seats (one's a booster). I would think that the owners should make sure their own devices fit. I know I wouldn't trust the seats the dealer had "just in case" there's a weird difference.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    My wife got a Legacy wagon new in 2002. It has been fuel efficient and reliable. She gets in the mid-20's mpg on the highway. It handles like a sports car and is great on rain-slicked roads or snowy conditions. She got the standard transmission and I wouldn't recommend it. The clutch is mushy. She doesn't care for the local dealership's service dept., so probably won't get another, but that is the only thing keeping her from another Subaru (probably a Forester).

trillobite

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Muncie
    The Jeep was across town, and it was free firewood....and the Jeep would have took two trips to haul that :( I never drove that slow before, in my life! That was the trip that finally convinced me to buy a trailer.
    eatsnopaste, the new Outbacks look a lot bigger inside, and some have 6 cylinders. I couldn't fit into a Subaru until the started making the Outback, the roof had always been too short, and the car was too low for me to comfortably get into. I think Fieros were higher up than the earlier Legacys.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

Absolutely don't install one for someone! Have them contact their nearest fire department / police department FOR ASSISTANCE. I know that our local FD seat inspector guy HATES it when folks come to him and expect him to install it. He's there to check it, not install it.

We never buy a car without loading up the entire family and making sure we all fit. 2 car seats (one's a booster). I would think that the owners should make sure their own devices fit. I know I wouldn't trust the seats the dealer had "just in case" there's a weird difference.

Well, there are quite a few people who don't go right out and buy car seats right as they find out they're going to have their first child. Myriad things can happen... Also, many folks wait until the baby showers get rolling in the hopes that one will be purchased for them. Lots of folks want to get a car purchased before baby comes.

Like I said above, it's all just a suggestion. Won't bother me if a salesman does that or not, the onus is always on parent or grandparent-to-be.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I dont have kids so I have no idea.......How hard is it to install a car seat? I thought they just kind of buckled in.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

It's not as easy as one would think!

Well, let me modify that. Installing them CORRECTLY isn't as easy as one would think. It can be danged hard to keep 'em level in two different directions and cinch them down tight enough that there's no movement at the back.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    i did get pulled over in my subaru once while driving back from hunting...my buddy told me "hey make sure you tell him off top that you have a shotgun in the back" i said "why, im not required to" my buddy says "youre driving a subaru, hes gonna think your a liberal A$$hat unless you tell him" ........well i dont know if my friend was right or not, but i told him as soon as he came to the window, and all i got was a warning...i dono lol

fyi, i was speeding

Top Bottom