• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Been reading a lot of the press about NATO actually taking control of the operations in Lybia.

I'll be the first to admitt I don't fully understand the complete structure of NATO, and what authority it is given by the member governments. But giving them complete control of the situation in Lybia almost seems to me like letting the cat out of the bag for a "uber alliance" to start picking off territories in situations typically left to be battled amongst soveriegn nations.

I fully appreciate the need for coalition of nations to help in certain crisis situations, but guess I'm getting hung up on the whole "Control" piece of this resting with NATO.

Then again, maybe that is what NATO is for...organizing a multinational coalition in this type of situation, and I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Anyone with more knowlege of the NATO structure and organizatin care to help me better understand what this means?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It means the USA is running the show. No one else has the juice that we do. We are the only ones that can run things.

Politically it means Barry wants a cover story for the Left (plausible deniability) while we whack wogs.

vick1

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   1
    Dec 24, 2010
    Indiana
    The Middle East needs dictators to function. They cannot live with Democracy to many Tribes and Sects..... Someone always feels screwed or ignored or discriminated against.

Last edited:

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    NATO stands for North Atlantic Treaty Organization. Libya isn't bordering on the Atlantic and they aren't very far north.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Why are we complaining if we don't have to do "all" the work. I don't care what your position is on Lybia, we cannot support a third front with the current state of affairs with the military. No ifs, ands or buts, we just cant do it.

Heck even in my circles of Air Force friends ive got buddies who haven't been home for 2 months and there going for another 6 months. The sad thing is that I know the Army and Marine Corps situation is just as bad (if not worse). We have no extra guys to spare right now. And did I mention that were going through force shaping (code word for drastic downsizing) still. Were loosing another 2k officers this year in the AF alone........ Makes no sense to me, no sense what so ever.

So why complain when someone else is willing to field some of the bodies? Makes no sense to me. I think something had to be done, but by golly we are not in a position to do anything by our selves.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Why are we complaining if we don't have to do "all" the work. I don't care what your position is on Lybia, we cannot support a third front with the current state of affairs with the military. No ifs, ands or buts, we just cant do it.

Heck even in my circles of Air Force friends ive got buddies who haven't been home for 2 months and there going for another 6 months. The sad thing is that I know the Army and Marine Corps situation is just as bad (if not worse). We have no extra guys to spare right now. And did I mention that were going through force shaping (code word for drastic downsizing) still. Were loosing another 2k officers this year in the AF alone........ Makes no sense to me, no sense what so ever.

So why complain when someone else is willing to field some of the bodies? Makes no sense to me. I think something had to be done, but by golly we are not in a position to do anything by our selves.
    We gain NOTHING from it, and will only turn over any foreseeable spoils to the French and Italians all funded by the US taxpayers and ran by a UN committee. That's the problem I have with it, turning over control of any part of our military to any organization other than our own sovereign. This will be used in the future as a precedent and must be stopped NOW.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    People in the Middle East have made a routine of stabbing us in the back after we help them. Why we're doing it now I have no f***ing idea. :xmad:

Bond 281

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    People in the Middle East have made a routine of stabbing us in the back after we help them. Why we're doing it now I have no f***ing idea. :xmad:

Or maybe we're not actually helping them, and they're instead fighting off an uninvited foreign invader.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Or maybe we're not actually helping them, and they're instead fighting off an uninvited foreign invader.
    I couldn't agree more. Until we have actual intelligence proving otherwise, we almost have to assume that this is what is happening. The twitter world invasion has begun in the name of "freedom" all the while being conducted by a religious faction....Never a good thing. Old Swinging Saddam said the war would be conducted in ways we had never dreamed of and we would defeat ourselves or something like that.

Top Bottom