Anyone else enjoy the Alaska based shows?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I love the Alaska shows. My favorites are "Life Below Zero" and "Ultimate Survival Alaska."

Sarah Palin's show was fun too. Learned some things about her husband's family I Did Not Know.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    My wife and I are in a debate for plumbing issues on our remote property. We built a cabin in October. I am leaning tword a composting toilet. But we are getting ideas from the Alaskan outhouses as well. I enjoy watching those shows. But northern MN is wild enough for me. And almost as beautiful.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    It'd be interesting to see how far they actually are from civilization (grocery store, hardware store, etc) and how often they actually travel to those places. I'm not sure they're as remote as the show portrays but you can live in the middle of civilization and still live an off grid lifestyle.

T/SF34/A

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Any of those shows which take place in Alaska are 100 times better than any "reality" show which takes place in California!

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    It'd be interesting to see how far they actually are from civilization (grocery store, hardware store, etc) and how often they actually travel to those places. I'm not sure they're as remote as the show portrays but you can live in the middle of civilization and still live an off grid lifestyle.

The Kilchers are located across the bay from Homer, AK which is also the home base for the Hillstrand brothers from Deadliest Catch. (Though Andy Hillstrand has a horse farm somewhere in Indiana I've heard) I'd say they are close enough to 'civilization' to be able to have and get all that power equipment, yet far enough away that they can still live fairly unmolested by it.

Homer, Alaska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have an old Army buddy who used to live near there in Kenai. He was a born and raised Southern California kid who used to whine about the cold weather in Germany, but he loved it in AK, go figure. :dunno:

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Anyone know what happened to Eric on "Life Below Zero"? They replaced him this season with the new guy.

From this website: Erik Salitan | National Geographic Channel

"Also, as a prior poster mentioned since he owns and operates Bushwhack Alaska he was busy running his guide business during the summer and is still part of the cast for Life Below Zero and shooting episodes during the off season. We should be seeing new episodes including him after the summer episodes have run their course."

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    One of my sisters best friends has lived in Talkeetna for decades now, she runs a bar there. She was here in town a few years ago in early September, and was telling me how her husband had called her that day to let her know they had gotten 2 feet of snow the day before.:):

I do love the Last Frontier and Deadliest catch, I didn't think that show could go on when Phil Harris died, but the Hillstrand brothers make it a good watch. Used to watch Gold Rush every week, but that stupid fat guy just got on my nerves too bad. I did really enjoy watching the Dakota boys, though.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    From this website: Erik Salitan | National Geographic Channel

"Also, as a prior poster mentioned since he owns and operates Bushwhack Alaska he was busy running his guide business during the summer and is still part of the cast for Life Below Zero and shooting episodes during the off season. We should be seeing new episodes including him after the summer episodes have run their course."

Thank you, sir!

Top Bottom