Anyone else had a heck of a time finding local 9mm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    It's not really a problem as I always just order bulk online, but whenever I'm out and about, I always stop by WM to check if I can pick up a box or two of my various Cal's. I haven't seen 9mm in aboutt forever! .45 .40, as well as rimmed wheel gun cal's are abundant. Anyone else notice this?

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Not sure where "local" is to you. I saw a bunch of it yesterday around the north side of Indy. I stopped at Gander looking for some rain gear to try on before buying it online cheaper :D and they had 9.

goldtrigger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Morgan county
    Martinsville walmart usually has it in stock. They probably had 20 boxes of Perfecta when I was in last week. Not sure what they might have now. Martinsville Rural King had some as well.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    I've been in my local Cabelas (Hammond), Bass Pro (Portage) and Gander Mtn. (Hobart) combined over a dozen times in the six weeks or so and each time you could have bought all the 9mm you wanted, as a matter of fact save for .22lr you could have bought as much of common caliber ammo, 9mm, 40 S&W, 45ACP, 357/38 .223/556, 7.62x51/308, 30/06, 7.62x39 and just about any other HP rifle ammo you can name. Just for every ones benefit Cabelas had the best prices of the 3 I listed.

Cabelas IIRC had standard 50 count boxes of cheaper priced 9mm made by PMC, Herters, Fiocci, and 1 or 2 others I cant recall right now pluss the higher dollar stuff by the big name ammo companies.

My advice is buy as much as you can for as long as you can unless like me you reload. Then buy as much as you can as long as you can of primers, powder and bullets.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Walmart on US31 has varying stock of 9mm. Some days I go there and they have dozens of boxes of 9mm and other times it's completely bare and stays that way for a couple of weeks. It's very hit or miss. Really glad you can usually find a good online deal for less, or it would be hard to shoot as often as I'd like.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    For the last 6 months or more, it's been easier to find factory 9mm than powder to reload for it.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    In the last 3 or 4 months, 9 MM is everywhere out here. All at good prices with no limits. .22 LR is coming back in good abundance and prices as well.

Hawkwind2112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2014
    Evansville
    9mm ammo has again become quite common to find here in Southern Indiana. Gander Mtn has a ton of it and it can also be found in stock at most Walmart stores.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Well hell! I live in beech grove (southside indy) and its literally always cleaned out at this WM. There are a ton of gunowners here in BG though, so that could explain. I usually never buy from gander. I try not to support their high prices.
    Only time I ever go in there is to coonfinger their "mall of guns."

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I haven't seen any 9mm at any big box stores, other than GM, since January 2012. I frequent Walmart and Meijer every two weeks and I check sporting goods if I have time. Ordering online or getting cartridges from a dedicated sporting goods store seem to be the only reliable way to get some... unless you reload.

I wonder how many reloaders have been born since this ammo shortage started.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Yeah, this weekend Cabela's had PCM battle pack, Federal ammo cans, and all the other 9mm. They even had .22 winchester, but they were the 222 packs.

Hawkwind2112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2014
    Evansville
    You can use one of the websites that track Walmart ammo inventory to check when a particular ammo is available in your area. BrassBadger.com works well for me. You will need to set it to your zip code and then checkmark the Walmart stores that you want it to display. Then if you are looking for 9mm click on 9mm Luger. The results for the stores you have checkmarked will then be displayed. You might need to find out when your local stores set their new ammo out on the shelf in order to maximize your chance of getting any, especially if you are looking for .22 ammo as most of the time it sells out here right out of the shipping box before it ever gets put on the shelf.

rjthebassman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2014
    5 miles from nowhere
    Martinsville walmart usually has it in stock. They probably had 20 boxes of Perfecta when I was in last week. Not sure what they might have now. Martinsville Rural King had some as well.

Not sure what other WM there is in martintucky but I've had a heck of a time finding anything other than a box or two or federals overly priced self defense ammo (blue box) not much of anything else. All I want is a box of PDX1! but they sure have a stock of .40 and .45..

Top Bottom