• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Degtyaryov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    My folks are both ex-hippies who work in academia, so guns were always frowned upon (they're good people, just misinformed on this issue). I didn't shoot a gun until I was 18 and bought my own, which they were very unhappy about. They still don't like having guns in their house, but at least they mostly ignore it these days. I would have no idea how or when to introduce my kids to guns if/when I have them, because I was never taught about it. I'm always jealous of my friends from pro-gun families, where dad gives them guns and takes shooting classes together. Wish my old man wanted to do that with me, but pigs will fly before that happens.

So, does anyone else share my pain? If so, how did you first get into guns?

WawaseeHoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Fishers and Wawasee
    Offer to take them shooting and promise them that if they don't come away from it with a different attitude on firearms, you'll never talk about guns in front of them again. If they are unwilling to try it out, you'll highlight how utterly hypocritical their precious liberal "tolerance" is.

I was raised much like you, no guns in the home (chicago). We would skeet shoot every now and again but that was it. Bought my first firearm at 26 and saw the light.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I can't say that I share in your pain in the expected sense. I teach introductory classes and try to research the psychology behind the "anti-gun" mindset and what creates it. I've grown an interest in this over the years by coming across so many anti-gunners or people new to firearms and gradually converting them over time. My sister has always been anti-gun, but not my parents which is odd. I got started shooting at a VERY early age however.

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    My Father owned several guns. He hunted with friends early in his life. He died when I was just four years old (1946).

Mother had to sell the guns, with lots of other stuff to stay afloat as she began a new life in those tough post-war years. She only told me about them when we would talk about the details of Dad's life for my family history records that I began in the 1980's.
    Mom was not anti-gun, but she wasn't into the shooting sports at all.

rlett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    I am trying to get my Grandson out to shoot. My daughter is a no go on the idea so far. He will be out of diapers soon:): Just kiddin he is 11.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Offer to take them shooting and promise them that if they don't come away from it with a different attitude on firearms, you'll never talk about guns in front of them again. If they are unwilling to try it out, you'll highlight how utterly hypocritical their precious liberal "tolerance" is.

I was raised much like you, no guns in the home (chicago). We would skeet shoot every now and again but that was it. Bought my first firearm at 26 and saw the light.
    When seriously trying to convert someone on guns.....

avoid labeling as highlighted above AT ALL COSTS. It will set you back in the path to enlightenment, not forward.

The majority of people with such a mindset on firearms are more emotionally driven in their thought processes and using labels such as this invokes an emotional, retaliatory response psychologically where they perceive it as an attack on them. This just quickly degrades the conversation to gain no ground, and their ears are essentially closed off to any sort of intelligent reason which comes out of your mouth.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    ...I would have no idea how or when to introduce my kids to guns if/when I have them, because I was never taught about it....

So, does anyone else share my pain? If so, how did you first get into guns?

I introduced them, to the safety rules, as soon as they could understand spoken language. They went target shooting with me as soon as they were big enough to safely hold the gun.

I bought the kids and grandkids their first rifle and/or pistol as soon as I thought they were responsible enough to own one. Some were ready around 4 or 5 years; another has just turned 20 and I still won't gift him one. Depends on the individual.

I, personally, got into guns the same way as described above.

Degtyaryov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Well I don't have any kids now so it's more for future referance. My folks let me have a red Ryder when I was 10 or 11 so I figure that'd be a good way to start. Probably younger than 10 though. Ironically one of my grandpas worked for colt, so in a way my dad owes much of his success to guns.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    No, my folks are pro-gun. I started with a Daisy BB gun when I was a wee lad. Before I touched it though, they taught me the rules.

I feel sorry for you though. Shooting is a fun family activity. Just another reason I love my parents.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    :yesway:

Doesn't hurt to start talking about safety rules as early as they can understand you.

QFT

I have a picture of my 18 month old son sitting on the floor next to me as I disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled several guns after a range day. He went with me when I did some plinking at a local farm at age 3 (he didn't shoot....but he picked out the targets/cans/bottles he wanted me to shoot ) He is 6 1/2 now and has his own Red Ryder in the gun safe between my M1 carbine and one of the 10/22s

Remove everything mysterious about firearms. Teach them the safety fundamentals. Let them be curious and look/touch and ask questions when you are safely handling cleared weapons (after triple checking it obviously).

I too think you cannot start too early when done in a safe and sensible manner.

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    My parents are pro gun! I bought both of them several guns .38, .380 and a .45! My daughter who is now 9 has as hers a Glock 17, Sig .22, .17 cal rifle and a model 60 .22. I started with gun safety before she started school! never too early and we discuss it weekly to keep her safe.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I was told in all seriousness "Firearms are nothing more than a constitutionally protected hobby." By my father (a lawyer) none the less. These people are scared of things they do not understand, they would rather never face their fear (Read: Ignorance)

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Much before 7 or 8 years old won't have the attention span to learn and to be safe.

:twocents: :ar15:
    Explain that to my nephew who knew the safety rules at 2, could recite them word for word by 3, and started shooting his first .22 by 4.

I started around 4 or 5 with a .22 and a 12 ga. It knocked me on my but and I had to have help holding it up, but guess which one I wanted to continue to shoot over and over....

I've taught or helped teach MANY others in similar manners as described in this thread and as long as the kids aren't "pushed" into something they're not interested in, it's effective.

Individual results will vary based on each child's intellect, maturity, physical size, and discipline but there is CERTAINLY no random, arbitrary age which determines a kids level of preparedness to learn about firearms safety.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    Much before 7 or 8 years old won't have the attention span to learn and to be safe.

I dont remember shooting my first gun, It was just something I grew up with and became a part of my life.

According to my dad "Once they can wipe their ass they can start learning" It also depends on the child but I think it is very important to teach safety very very early. Skills can come later.

Constructionist

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011

Mine have never not known firearm safety. They've known the 4 rules for years (they're 6 and 8 now). They practiced muzzle discipline with their nerf/wii guns while still in diapers. Their attention span is better than most adults. Like others have posted before - its a part of their upbringing. Just like covering your mouth when you cough, or washing your hands after using the toilet, or saying please and thank you.

Top Bottom