Anyone else have issues getting your wife to do any shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DefenseInsight

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2024
    Greene County
    Not sure on your situation but often times, people have a hard time making the time to go to the range.

If they do go once, that might be a one and done, because they can't enjoy it, because in their heads, they are thinking about all the things they are neglecting to do.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    My wife has no interest whatsoever.
    Her dad forced her to shoot a single shot 12 gauge at 12 years old. Knocked her down literally. Ruined her for life.
    But she supports my hobby totaly.
    It sure would be wonderful if she would participate but......

flint stonez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2024
    S/E Indiana
    I found the best way to get my Argentine bride to start shooting was to holler out, "why are you all so loud when your talking in Mexican to each other???"

Argentine's love...and I mean LOVE...when you call their Spanish Mexican...

View attachment 334640
    I have a friend from Costa Rica. Same applies to him. He “loves it” when anyone refers to him or his Spanish as “Mexican”. Those are fighting words to him.

Grump01

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Madison County
    Very simply the more you push someone to do something they don't want to do the more they are in opposition to it. Women especially.

flint stonez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2024
    S/E Indiana
    Very simply the more you push someone to do something they don't want to do the more they are in opposition to it. Women especially.
    Exactly. Which is why I occasionally ask (in a non-pushy) manner if she’d like to join me on the deck to shoot a 22. Maybe she’ll take me up on it someday. Till then I’ll continue to ask every once in a while. No pushing or coercion.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    We’re at a spot in our marriage that I can pretty much get away with saying just about anything (not sure about BBI’s advice above), but I can’t say what it takes to get her to go shooting.
    To each their own.

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    My wife was firmly anti gun when we married in 1975. After several years she recognized that a firearm is a tool that requires respect and attention to safety. I started bullseye pistol competition 4 years into our marriage. She came to watch a few matches and decided she wanted to try it. I got her a .22 and .45 and she shot for a number of years enjoying it a lot. She even decided to get her carry license and carried. In 2000 she was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. Now her hands are so crippled she cannot operate or shoot anything. Occasionally she remarks how much she misses it.
    Oh, and when people on the news are spouting stupid anti gun stuff she yells at the tv....

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    I think the 2 biggest issues with females and firearms are the bang and the kickback. Get her some good hearing protecting she likes and probably a 22 rifle being it has little to no kickback feeling. I haven't shot a 9mm rifle, but I'm sure there isn't much to it. A handgun would probably only scare her farther away from shooting.
    Much truth in this statement. Start smaller and build on it. Try an air rifle and or .22. Have her buy the gun she wants, it does wonders.

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    SE Indy
    Exactly. Which is why I occasionally ask (in a non-pushy) manner if she’d like to join me on the deck to shoot a 22. Maybe she’ll take me up on it someday. Till then I’ll continue to ask every once in a while. No pushing or coercion.
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that maybe she's heard enough right outside her door on a daily basis that she's already gotten her fill... :dunno:

K9Luvn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2024
    Gas City/ Marion
    Well I don't have that problem... but then again I don't have a wife. I'm the wife that would do it all day. Not that excited about paper .. but things that go plink and spin I really enjoy. If noise is an issue go with earplugs and ear muffs and yes less recoil. Maybe she just needs to go shooting with a woman to enjoy iit. Or it just might not be something she is in to. Now I would love to have one of those huge metal roosters in my backyard!!

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    My wife has no political or moral aversion to firearms. She doesn't mind that I own them (apart from the large financial expenditures I undertake to get new ones, and feed the ones I already have), shoot them, or carry them...she just has no interest in doing it herself. She has shot before, is as good as anyone could be without regular training and practice, and knows how to safely handle a gun...it's just not something that really interests her.

In the past few years the only way I've gotten her to the range was when we were all sitting around bored one night and I took the whole family with a .22 and we had a little 50-foot target competition on the indoor range. She doesn't hate doing it, but she's not going to set aside time from her day to go do it, either.

Ultimately, she has "her" things that she enjoys, I have "my" things that I enjoy, and we also have "our" things that we enjoy together. Shooting is one of "my" things, and that's ok. I've also got a 15 year-old kid who has a decent gun collection of his own, is better with guns than most adults, and costs me hundreds of dollars a year in ammo, so it's not like I get lonely at the range!

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    When my ol lady and I got together, She had just divorced an abusive Ahole. Her dad was a hunter and she grew up around guns but was never really interested much in them. I was touring a lot then and was always gone a lot. I told her that I didn't want to worry about her when I'm 2k miles away. So I bought her a 38 and took her to the range to learn to shoot it. She did very well. We even posted it on FB so her ex who was FB stalking her at the time could see. She had a wonderful conversation with him about that. lol But that was the last time she fired it. She would go to the range when I took the kids but still no interest. She does however keep it loaded in her night stand. She understands it's a tool but has no real interest in training with it. Me and the kids both have fired it more than she has. I haven't pushed the issue at all. And now I'm home a lot and living out in the country, was hoping she would show interest in it, but not yet.

Top Bottom