• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    My friend told me that Indiana is considering legalizing most rifle calibers for use during the general firearm season. I don't recall his info source, but he said the legislature is only considering it, and it is not yet reached the level of a bill. If passed into law I wonder if our state would be then divided into firearm classification zones like they have in WIS, and MIC, for example. He is usually accurate in his information.

Any one know the particulars of this in detail?

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    This is going to kill the market for .357 and .44 leverguns if it goes through. I'm gonna get me a .308 rifle while they're cheap and useless.

spankys56

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    NWI
    If it does pass I am sure it will be county by county zones. I doubt that those of us in NWI will get to use them.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    ^ Agreed, I can see Perry county where my farm is going to the rifles, but the more populated counties I can see staying the way the current laws are. I will be nice to be able to hunt with my '06 though. I know of more than one big buck that would be on my wall had I had a rifle instead of a shotgun.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    In response to the NW Indiana comment above...

Yah, with the full-stupid stories I've heard of hunters throwing slugs around trying to gun down a deer in the woods...I'd be worried about the same if they used rifles in many areas.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    Here's what i've found ..."Rifles with cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearms and special antlerless seasons. Some cartridges legal for deer hunting include the .357 Magnum, .38-.40 Winchester, .41 Magnum, .41 Special, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .44-.40 Winchester, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, .500 S&W, .460 Smith & Wesson, .450 Bushmaster, and .50 Beowulf."

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    People will be using slide fire stocks on their AR10s if this passes. We have to stop this stupidity. Think of the carnage to the deer. It'll be a massacre. It's bad enough that those hunters go out and kill those defenseless animals when they should be getting their meat from Walmart where no animals are harmed.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I for one am scared as hell that this might go through! A bunch of errant slugs a few days a year are one thing, but every Fudd with 3 rounds of sight in/practice in the last 10 years rolling the countryside with an '.06 or .308? No thanks!

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Life is all about timing. I purchased a Ruger bolt action .44 magnum earlier this year planning on using it for this fall's deer season. Keep in mind I already had a .270 and a .308 in my gun safe. If the approval is given for any caliber .243 or larger I feel certain the market value of the Ruger .44 will undoubtedly diminish.

Unless someone thinks they might really need a gun like that to hunt for hog or other species. :):

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I don't see .44 mag guns suddenly dropping in value very much. Granted a good .308 is an all around rifle for everything from varmints to deer and black bear sized game. But I still don't want to get hit between the ta tas with a .240 grain bullet truckin' along at 1300 ft/sec either. And bullet drop is negligable at most hunting ranges in the south half of the state.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I for one am scared as hell that this might go through! A bunch of errant slugs a few days a year are one thing, but every Fudd with 3 rounds of sight in/practice in the last 10 years rolling the countryside with an '.06 or .308? No thanks!

I have serious doubts the proposed changes would make any difference in safety! Currently you can hunt coyotes with ANY caliber, heck you can hunt Yote's, squirrel, rabbits and other game with a 50BMG if you so desire. Most deer hunting is done from stands and shooting downward. The few idiots that are careless will always be careless. Many liberals state that the LTCH license will / has caused more deaths, But that has been proven untrue. I don't hunt any longer (to darn old) but have son's, grandsons and friends that do, None would be any less safe using one of my .308's, .243, 30-06 or other hi-power rifles than the current crop of allowed firearms. Haven't seen any issues in KY, MI or other states that currently allow Hi-power rifles.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The idea of some idiot hunting near us unloading at a deer with a .30-06 with no thought to what's behind it does make me a little nervous.

Though we're in the country, there are enough houses around that even I'm VERY careful when I shoot, and I know where things are.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm on the fence on this one too. I'm isolated pretty well but not well enough to avoid some misplaced long range rifle calibers.
    My house was hit with 2 slugs a couple of years ago. I'm wondering what is next...

Top Bottom