• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dudelittle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Attica
    i have a 223 bull barrel and i really enjoy it. the trigger is a bit heavy bit it still shoots very well. I also have a 410 youth, not much to say about that one tho

cb46184

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    May 10, 2016
    New Whiteland
    I have one (NEF branded) with the heavy barrel and laminated camo-look stock.
    My bird hunting buddy suggested we try coyote hunting so
    I purchased way back when Gander Mountain was still in business in Greenwood. I put a Weaver V12 scope on it. I sighted it in at 100 yds and the groups were amazing - sub 1/2." Long story short, we never went coyote hunting and the rifle has set in my safe for 25+ years. I've gotten more interested in fishing these days so I am getting ready to sell it and maybe buy a new fishin' pole.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    I didn’t know they went out of production. I bought one in 357 mag for my boys to deer hunt with. It’s a great shooter with very similar geometry to a red Ryder BB gun they are very well practiced with.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have a H&R in .308 with the synthetic camo stock and a 4-12x scope I bought at Dick's years ago for $169. I swapped out the scope for a Cabela's branded scope last year. It will shoot into around 2 minutes with Federal Premium Sierra Game King loads. I also have an NEF .223 NWTF rifle. I have not shot this one much.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I didn’t know they went out of production. I bought one in 357 mag for my boys to deer hunt with. It’s a great shooter with very similar geometry to a red Ryder BB gun they are very well practiced with.

Yeah, unfortunately they did.
    I would hang on to that .357.
    To replace it now would likely cost you more for a used example as the new one cost you.

I have one in .500S&W and another in .45-70.
    I wish I'd known they were to be discontinued. I would have purchased MANY more calibers.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Yeah, unfortunately they did.
    I would hang on to that .357.
    To replace it now would likely cost you more for a used example as the new one cost you.

I have one in .500S&W and another in .45-70.
    I wish I'd known they were to be discontinued. I would have purchased MANY more calibers.

Same story as my Savage 10ml. Discontinued awesome model and price skyrockets. They’re both great tools that will be very difficult to part with at any price!

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    My youngest son's first deer rifle with youth stock. Great youth trainers for youth and adults in the killing stage of hunting. 'one shot, one kill'.

Also have 410, 20, and 12 gauge shotguns.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Almost got a 7-08 many years ago for a .28 caliber small game cast bullet piece.

Wish I had!

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Anyone else like H&R Handi Rifles? They went out of production back in 2014 and are getting harder to find.

Mine is a taper barrel in .223. It has a 1/12 twist barrel and is very accurate with 45-52 grain reloads. Put an older Weaver 4x scope on it. Also has a sling & butt-stock ammo pouch. Used a rubber O-ring around the forearm stud, to free-float the barrel. It's a great little rifle for busting groundhogs.

I have the same rifle but my scope is an old, made in Colorado, Redfield 4x scope. I've killed a bunch of coyotes with it. My longest shot was 300 yards. I haven't needed to adjust the sights on this rifle for years. It's just rock solid reliable every time. I paid $150 new for the rifle and someone gave the old Redfield scope.

I load 50 grain softpoints for mine. The trigger on mine isn't too bad at all. Not a target rig trigger but very acceptable for a hunting rifle.

I'm sure the Henry rifles will be even better than the Handi-Rifles. Henry really makes some nice stuff. But somehow I suspect their price point may be a little higher.

Here's a picture of the most recent coyote downed with Ol' Reliable:

10-27-18 called coyote.jpg

Dinny

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2015
    Trafalgar
    I've had a number of Handi rifles, shotguns, and a Huntsman ML. I like them alot but have found myself replacing them with bolt guns that are still in production.

Thanks, Dinny

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Henry is supposed to be coming out with a single shot centerfire rifle like the Handi-Rifle. It is in their current catalog and the NRA has written a review on it. Have not seen one in the wild.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2017/12/20/tested-henry-single-shot-shotguns-and-rifles/

henry_002_henryssrs_w_rifles_01s.jpg

Wow...that looks pretty nice and definitely holds some promise...and, as a Henry, it'll probably be a nice rifle.
    We have a few Handi-Rifle single-shot shotguns in 20 GA...
    When they were closing out, I picked up 1 each for the wife and kids...
    At the same time, I found an Iver Johnson in 20 GA that looks as if it has barely been fired...
    It was too nice to pass on...and is worth every penny I paid for it!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Henry doesn't have a .41 single shot in their plans.
    Wahhh.

Call them and request one.
    It may take a while, but me and obviously a BUNCH of other people bugged Henry for about 3 years and they finally broke down and made a lever action rifle in .327 Federal magnum.

Henry is one of the very few gun companies that actually consider their customer base desires when designing new models.
    Other companies could learn from Henry's customer service.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Last year Henry said it would eventually be in their line up.
    The response this year is no, its not in their plans.
    So I'm going to have a not-Henry.
    I'd rather have theirs but I will have somebody's.
    Lever guns are too picky on cartridge geometry so to be interchangeable with a six gun, a single shot it's gonna be.
    Got wadcutters, semi-wadcutters, round noses, rounded flat noses, spire point... yeah, gimme a single shot.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I was once told long a go that these guns were not accurate enough. But sounds like a lot of people around here have not had that issue.

The key getting the best accuracy out of an H&R, is developing a specific load for each bullet weight. My 1/12 twist .223 rifle is very accurate with 45 grain Hornady soft point bullets pushed by 25 grains of Win 748.

Top Bottom