• ...and so much more!
  • Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I've carried Keltec p11, glock 26, 19, 17, a makarov, taurus pt911, 1911's, and for some reason just can't get comfortable for IWB carry. I have only been carrying a couple of years, but it's long enough to grasp a feel. I have considered trying out a PF9/PM9/Slim nine etc, but before I had the chance I ended up buying an LCP carrying in a desantis pocket holster. I've been worry free ever since and comfortable! If I'm wearing loose fitting clothing or a light jacket, I'm always carrying something larger than the LCP OWB concealed, but any time I have a t-shirt or less on, I find myself time and time again packing the LCP when it used to be a g26.

I'll open carry from time to time while... outside 465 is my best description... but I keep putting this thing in my pocket instead of IWB like I used to.

Anyone else run into the same issue? Not really an issue I suppose, a .380 is better than nothing! Just want to be sure I'm not insane for having a sense of physical comfort as well. :dunno:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Not sure I would be comfortable with a .380, but that's just me. I do agree that it's better than nothing, though. I definitely wouldn't say you are insane for wanting to be comfortable. I've carried an XD .40sc pretty comfortably for a while. Recently, I found an old holster that I never used and discovered that my HK .40 fit it. I was surprised to find out that it was more comfortable and printed less than the sc with a Super Tuck. So, I'll be carrying my HK from now on. I guess you just have to find the gun/holster combination that best fits your body.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I've tried blackhawk, galco, supertucks, etc... Don't get me wrong. I carried all day everyday regardless of comfort or print. I am just blown away with tucking something so small into my pocket for the summer!

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I completely gave up on IWB as a carry method. I carry OWB exclusively.
    I open carry frequently. When I do CC I just throw a light button up shirt over it. If I plan on wearing a "t-shirt or less" I'll just open carry.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    Recently I haven't been able to carry my usual rig because the new tattoo I am getting (2 session so far, a few more to go) would be under my holster. *And being as this tattoo costs as much as a couple of used sigs or a new novesky, *I am willing to wear my ankle rig for a bit. **

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    I carry my PK380 in a Crossbreed Supertuck 90% of the time. It's really comfortable, but not quite as comfortable as when I OC my Judge. You just can't beat OWB, comfort wise...in my opinion.

YukYuPhat

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2010
    Greencastle, IN
    ive recently made the switch to a thigh holster. i get some odd looks, but it looks sweet.

I have been thinking about that, a thigh holster off of the belt. Would make it better for handling, but puts a restriction of movement for your pants. I guess is would be something I could do part time. :cheers:

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Pocket pistols are great for what they are, and I'll carry a Keltec P3AT or a J frame from time to time. For me, I've found the biggest factor related to comfort and IWB carry has been the position on my waist. There's a "sweet spot" at around 4:00, behind my hip where the pistol rests in the curve of my lower back, and (dare I say it) gets additional support from my buttock.

I wondered why so many folks said they carried at that position, and not closer to their hip, until I tried it.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    ive recently made the switch to a thigh holster. i get some odd looks, but it looks sweet.

i'm not sure a thigh rig would work. it might slow down my draw time ever so slightly so that i might not be able to draw and shoot on a guy holding his piece to my head.

i'll have to work on some drills and get back to you.

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    I absolutely HATE IWB carrying. Gave it up years age. Don't like carrying .380 or smaller for my main weapon either.

I carry a full sized semi auto with large capacity mag. The most comfortable way I have found is OWB with a paddle holster high on the strong side hip. Had all mine custom made, but fubos sells some inexpensive ones that I hear are good. Around 30 bucks.

Just wear a loose fitting shirt over it, slight bulge but who cares. They are easy on and off. Don't have go through the trouble of trying to take my belt on and off in my car if I have to enter a "gun free zone". Which happens from time to time. Good luck with finding the system that works best for you.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I absolutely HATE IWB carrying. Gave it up years age. Don't like carrying .380 or smaller for my main weapon either.

I carry a full sized semi auto with large capacity mag. The most comfortable way I have found is OWB with a paddle holster high on the strong side hip. Had all mine custom made, but fubos sells some inexpensive ones that I hear are good. Around 30 bucks.

Just wear a loose fitting shirt over it, slight bulge but who cares. They are easy on and off. Don't have go through the trouble of trying to take my belt on and off in my car if I have to enter a "gun free zone". Which happens from time to time. Good luck with finding the system that works best for you.

Patton, I never worry about looking "stupid", so I want to point out something that I've never considered. In all the talk about OC/CC I've mostly focused on the fact that OC would be a OWB holster, allowing people to see my gun. I never considered the comfort of the OWB holster, especially with my 1911, and simply wearing a untucked shirt. This would still be CC, which is important to me and get my 1911 out of the safe much more. Now, everyone clap their hands for the slow guy's epiphany. :rockwoot: :laugh:

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    Like it was mentioned before, I had to find that sweet spot for my IWB holster. I had tried in 2-3 different positions then finally found that my M&P40c carries very comfortable at 3:30-4:00 in my 5 degree cant holster. Though I always wear my shirts untucked, I hadn't considered that an OWB holster with the shirt over it is still relatively CC. I've been looking at different OWB options but havn't settled on what I think I like yet.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I generally carry my Fullsize 1911 and G22 around 3-4o'clock IWB. I can't stand the printing of Fobus OWB Paddle holster's except in the dead of winter when I have a long Carhart coat over it.

I have some generic nylon holster with a magazine pouch along the top of the slide that fits quite well IWB but can also be worn OWB without a large footprint as the metal belt clip is able to be swapped in positions and does not provide a lot of additional depth to the overall footprint of the holster.

I tried carrying with a Fobus OWB, several leather IWB's and a kydex IWB *don't remember the brand* and they all felt extremely uncomfortable.

Took me about 4 years of checking out all the holsters at every show/shop I attended to find this little no namer but it works perfectly for what I need.

I'll upload a pic sometime in the next day or two if you like.**Here is a pic I found online of a VERY similar holster to what I carry. Mine has a little more fabric in the Barrel range (the triggerguard edge is almost a straight edge to the end of the barrel, which I feel helps smooth out the lines of the holster when carrying under a Tshirt in the OWB fashion) but this is almost identical to mine.

They are cheap but comfortable and I've carried with mine pretty much every day for the last 3 or 4 years so I'd say it's pretty durable(I caught a lot of slack when I got it from some traditional leather only guys who said nylon won't stand the test of time).

**Also, when I carry IWB I remove the retention strap as it is already nearly impossible to draw without a correct angle and I tuck my shirts around the holster over the Grip of the pistol. It might not be fancy but it's effective.

10191%20front.jpg

Last edited:

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I find IWB to be quite uncomfortable at times...

However, I'm still wearing my XDm in my MTAC IWB holster every day. Until someone comes up with a better method for clandestine carry (such as at the office), I'm stuck with it. I'd greatly prefer OC with a cross-draw shoulder rig or a nice leather OC belt holster...but I'm afraid I'd not be able to pay my bills after losing my job.

Part of the problem is that my comfortable belt no longer fits after losing 20 lbs, so I'm either stuck with a belt buckle which digs into my gut or a belt which doesn't cinch tightly enough... Also, on hot days it just sucks to have to wear an undershirt so that I'm not getting "XDm" grilled onto my love-handle.

Maybe it's time to shop for a new belt...

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Always meant to buy an IWB holster but never got around to it. I just figured I'd hate it.

The only reason I may still consider buying one is to shim out some pants that fit loose on me with another gun. :draw:

Eulogy32

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Carmel, Indiana
    For the last year I've been doing IWB exclusively with either an XDsc or USPc. However, a few weeks ago, I bought a leather OWB rig from Galco for a p226 which also holds a government size 1911 very well. Now, I use that setup with a fullsize pistol because it is MUCH more comfortable and only sligtly less concealed.

I've also had a custom IWB holster for my USPc on order from TTgunleather since January. I called last week and had my order changed to an OWB rig. I should be getting it within the next 2 weeks. I can only imagine how comfortable OWB will be with a gun that doesn't weigh as much as a small child.

Top Bottom