Anyone ever carry a Sig P229 in a Galco Miami holster?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I wanted to ask if anyone here has first hand knowledge on carrying a Sig P229 in a shoulder holster and if it conceals well or akwardly with it flopping around?

I've been contemplating ordering a Galco miami shoulder rig to free up the weight I feel with the pistol when carrying it iwb.. but I would love to hear all input first. Thanks

vtnewbie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2019
    Vermont
    Yes, I carried a SIG 229 in a Galco Miami Classic for many years. Looking back, I would consider it to have been the most comfortable way that I carried the pistol, comparing it to a Blackhawk Serpa belt holster FBI-style, a Safariland belt holster, and a Galco Ankle Glove. I balanced the pistol's weight on the offside with 2 magazines, a set of cuffs, and I used both belt attachment tabs to hold it all in place with very little movement. Of course it conceals better under a loose-fitting outer garment. Please ask any other questions you may have....

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    A long time ago when I didn't know any better and wanted to be cool like Don Johnson I carried a S&W 4006 in a Galco Miami Classic rig. Like above, mags and cuffs on the other side. Also did it with the issue 226. I would not do it today unless I had some kind of physical impairment that didn't allow me to carry on the belt or I was a full time driver.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Yes, I carried a SIG 229 in a Galco Miami Classic for many years. Looking back, I would consider it to have been the most comfortable way that I carried the pistol, comparing it to a Blackhawk Serpa belt holster FBI-style, a Safariland belt holster, and a Galco Ankle Glove. I balanced the pistol's weight on the offside with 2 magazines, a set of cuffs, and I used both belt attachment tabs to hold it all in place with very little movement. Of course it conceals better under a loose-fitting outer garment. Please ask any other questions you may have....

Thank you for replying, i have usually carried mine in a Galco summer comfort in the 4 o clock position but it likes to shift and be akward when i am sitting down.

How has the holster held up to use? Has it caused any signifigant finish wear from holstering and drawing?

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    A long time ago when I didn't know any better and wanted to be cool like Don Johnson I carried a S&W 4006 in a Galco Miami Classic rig. Like above, mags and cuffs on the other side. Also did it with the issue 226. I would not do it today unless I had some kind of physical impairment that didn't allow me to carry on the belt or I was a full time driver.
    That set up sounds very Sonny Crockett. As someone who has a 4006 in the stash I can see why a shoulder rig would be handy for carry with it.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

Yep. BD, the weight has to go somewhere. Personally, the bone structure and large muscles of the hips and legs support the weight better for me than the shoulders. YMMV. Additionally, there's a tendency to "sweep" things when drawing from a horizontal shoulder rig. Also, since a fair bit of ND/AD incidents occur when reholstering, where's that muzzle pointed in such a rig? If you want to train how you carry, many instructors won't allow a horizontal shoulder holster. All carry methods have strengths and weaknesses. Just a few things to consider.

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The only Miami I have is for a model 66 shortie perfect for it and the sig is just a bit bigger. I use it mainly when the weather is cooler or I am in and out of a car/truck often.

I know the 66 and the 229 are different beasts (but in da/sa they work about the same.) but I would not worry much about the post directly above. In the car seated how will you draw from your rig with a seat belt anyway.

vtnewbie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2019
    Vermont
    Very nice setup. I've been torn between brown or black leather on what to get if i order one.
    I prefer the brown leather myself, but be aware that both colors will stain a light-colored shirt if worn for any length of time.

Being skinny, I found it uncomfortable to wear the regular duty belt with a gun, 2 magazines, cuffs, light, and a baton. Too much weight to stay in place, and cinching up the belt tight enough caused me some low back troubles.

Looking back on it, the MOST comfortable rig was a belt with suspenders. I wound up carrying that way a lot in plain clothes.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Carried a full size 1911A1, Miami Vice style, but 2 mags weren't enough offset. Hooked up the tie down on opposite the holster and was fine. Agree that seated in a car was easy draw.
    I have one for a Glock 19, 2 spare mags, was missing the tie downs in a used box for $35. Wore it a few times, Sonny would have been proud. No pink shirt, white shoes, or white sports car.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    The only Miami I have is for a model 66 shortie perfect for it and the sig is just a bit bigger. I use it mainly when the weather is cooler or I am in and out of a car/truck often.

I know the 66 and the 229 are different beasts (but in da/sa they work about the same.) but I would not worry much about the post directly above. In the car seated how will you draw from your rig with a seat belt anyway.
    First, it is very easy to draw from appendix while strapped in. You may need to prep your concealment garment, not a big deal.

Second, there is no way around the fact that it is not as safe to draw and reholster from a shoulder rig. There is a reason they are not allowed in legitimate training classes. Again, I am not saying the system doesn't have a place, but for regular daily carry use it is not the most efficient method. Most people care less about that than comfort or coolness though.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Thank you all for your replies. I will more than likely order one. I can't help also but think about James Bond to when it comes to shoulder holsters. :D

Although... why did Ian Flemming equip Bond with a Berns Martin tipple draw holster when that is for a revolver and the PPK is an automatic?

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Intrest here please update.
    It came in today and it took me a solid hour or more to figure out how to assemble it.

The fit and finish of the holster and the leather itself is nice....but with my stature the gun hangs low enough that it likes to slap me in the hip if it flip flops around without a jacket.

I have worn it once already under a zipped up hoodie jacket to the Dollar store to try it out and I have to say it carries quite nicely.

I already prefer wearing it this way compared to IWB, epecially when sitting down in the car or in general. Having two extra mags hanging around is nice too.

Last edited:

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    the gun hangs low enough that it likes to slap me in the hip if it flip flops around without a jacket.
    Run those straps in further. The threaded "rivets" don't have to be in the last hole of the straps.

Unless your hips are in your armpits, in which case I'd like to recommend a bidet.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    i carried my 1911 in my Galco Shoulder holster for years and loved it.
    i ordered one in April this year. I was suprised to see plastic Groment/pins to instead of the metal ones. I have changed them out
    Yeah my 2.0 lite came with the polymer pins as well. I'm just rolling with it as is since it's all I got.

I do like it quite a bit though and I have been thinking about carrying a smaller gun now iwb as a bug.

I've really been thinking about finding a S&W J frame 38 airweight for that role with some boone trading co ivory style grips with or without a Tyler grip.

SJR.jpg

Last edited:

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I am about to have my first experience with a Miami Classic holster. Recently acquired a Bren Ten and HAD to order a Miami Classic to go with it. Sonny (and Jeff Cooper) would be proud, I hope.

Top Bottom