• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    My son has a basketball tournament in Lafayette this weekend. While we were there we were thinking of taking in a Purdue basketball game on Sat.

Never been there and don't know what kind of security they have. I don't really know their policy on campus carry but going to assume they don't allow it. Anybody know if I would have any issues getting through the gate?

dangar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    New Castle, IN
    I was going to make a comment about attending a Purdue basketball game, but given the collapse of my Hoosiers last night I will pass.

I've not been to Mackey, but I don't recall being wanded or otherwise checked the last time I was in Bloomington or Muncie (BSU). If you try, I would go deep CC. At Pacers game last week, they were having everyone lift their coats and turn around. Wands were also present, but not used (on me, at least). I was not carrying.

downlinx

Expert
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    i have never carried on purdue and i have lived here my whole life. but purdue from my understanding is not a gun free zone to citizens, only to students.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I know this topic is a bit old, but it's always relevant since folks head to the Purdue campuses frequently, for a variety of reasons.

As a Purdue guy (NWI), I'm not here to tell anyone WHAT to do, just what is and isn't allowable.

Currently, there are no provisions to allow carrying a weapon on to campus grounds, regardless if you have a LTCH.

Up to the individual what they choose to do, but IF you're caught and arrested for it, you WILL lose your license, permanently.

Just something to consider.

MY opinion, please do all you can to promote, support, and demand that law-abiding LTCH holders be allowed campus carry. There is a growing movement in this direction, but as MOST colleges and universities are manned by rabid anti-gunners are far-left whackos, it will require a concerned and concerted effort to change the applicable laws.

Also understand that in order to enact such a change, we'll likely need to change the requirements for obtaining a LTCH, including (most likely) mandatory class training (which is WHY we don't have reciprocity with Ohio, and some others), and (also possible) bi-annual or annual (at least) range qualification.

I have no issue with this myself, as I don't feel anyone should be carrying a weapon (2nd Amendment rights, which I strongly support) without comprehensive training & knowledge, and a repeated qualification to demonstrate their proficiency.

As those who choose to carry a gun, the onerousness is upon us to show that we not only have the right, but fully comprehend and accept the responsibility, and have the ability to demonstrate the proficiency, that goes with carrying a gun in the modern world.

Just my own thoughts.

Be safe out there, friends. :yesway:

buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    I know this topic is a bit old, but it's always relevant since folks head to the Purdue campuses frequently, for a variety of reasons.

As a Purdue guy (NWI), I'm not here to tell anyone WHAT to do, just what is and isn't allowable.

Currently, there are no provisions to allow carrying a weapon on to campus grounds, regardless if you have a LTCH.

Up to the individual what they choose to do, but IF you're caught and arrested for it, you WILL lose your license, permanently.

MY opinion, please do all you can to promote, support, and demand that law-abiding LTCH holders be allowed campus carry. There is a growing movement in this direction, but as MOST colleges and universities are manned by rabid anti-gunners are far-left whackos, it will require a concerned and concerted effort to change the applicable laws.

Also understand that in order to enact such a change, we'll likely need to change the requirements for obtaining a LTCH, including (most likely) mandatory class training (which is WHY we don't have reciprocity with Ohio, and some others), and (also possible) bi-annual or annual (at least) range qualification.

I have no issue with this myself, as I don't feel anyone should be carrying a weapon (2nd Amendment rights, which I strongly support) without comprehensive training & knowledge, and a repeated qualification to demonstrate their proficiency.

As those who choose to carry a gun, the onerousness is upon us to show that we not only have the right, but fully comprehend and accept the responsibility, and have the ability to demonstrate the proficiency, that goes with carrying a gun in the modern world.

Just my own thoughts.

I am a little confused. I thought it was not against the law to carry on their property but against their policies. So if I was caught but did not break any laws who is arresting me? Why would I lose my LTCH? Not trying to be a wiseguy just trying to understand it as I don't normally go on any campuses.

infiremedic07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Lapel/Noblesville

Show me in the IC where it states that you will lose your license or even be arrested?

BTW welcome to INGO and just remember than when you state absolutes please quote the IC (indiana code)

Last edited:

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    False information...
    If you are caught and they get in a tiff about it, the MOST they can do is ask you to leave the campus.
    It's not even illegal for students to carry on campus.
    HOWEVER, Purdue can kick them out of school for it and that is why there is a campus carry group.
    They can't kick me out of school because I have already graduated.
    I go to the Purdue campus every year for continuing education at the CEPDS.
    It's a great day and always an awesome lunch in the Union Ballroom.
    I always carry.
    Never had a problem.
    I don't know about security at the games though.
    Haven't been to a game in over 25 years.

buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    False information...
    If you are caught and they get in a tiff about it, the MOST they can do is ask you to leave the campus.
    It's not even illegal for students to carry on campus.
    HOWEVER, Purdue can kick them out of school for it and that is why there is a campus carry group.
    They can't kick me out of school because I have already graduated.
    I go to the Purdue campus every year for continuing education at the CEPDS.
    It's a great day and always an awesome lunch in the Union Ballroom.
    I always carry.
    Never had a problem.
    I don't know about security at the games though.
    Haven't been to a game in over 25 years.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I won't be going to a game after all. My son has a 3pt and free throw contests in the evening.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Just my own thoughts.

Not to thread jack, but what other limitations should we place on my rights?
    Maybe the woman that is beaten by her husband should have to wait for training and range time to defend herself and her child?

Luke76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    There are no checks when entering. It is also not illegal but they can ask you to leave if they notice. There are a LOT of police there or at least there was at the game I went to. It was Christmas break though so maybe they figured they'd go to the game since it was a slow time. So keep it concealed and no problems.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Not to thread jack, but what other limitations should we place on my rights?
    Maybe the woman that is beaten by her husband should have to wait for training and range time to defend herself and her child?

Well, isn't that question rather superfluous? Does she already own a gun? Is she already carrying a gun legally?

Are you referring to keeping a gun around the house? In that case, the question is irrelevant as my statements were specifically directed toward the subject of carrying a weapon.

If the situation is that she already has a LTCH, then nothing in my statements prevent her from obtaining training and regularly (whatever time frame that is) qualifying with that weapon.

2nd Amendment concerns aside for a moment (I'm not debating she has the 'right' to carry), if YOU are in, say a mall, and the hypothetical women is confronted by her 'wife-beater' husband and she decides to (justifiably, for sake of discussion) pull her weapon and fire, and YOU are somewhere behind / beyond the husband with YOUR wife and little children, would YOU prefer that she - A) she simply has a 'right' to carry, defend herself and fire at will or, B) has been properly and thoroughly trained, qualified, and is able to put those round on their intended target?

If she just bought a gun and carries it with no training (and that happens QUITE frequently), at that moment in time, WHO is the greater threat to YOU and your family, the woman shooting in your direction, or the 'wife-beater' husband?

And, as you raised the issue of limitations of your (or our) rights, let's ALSO remember that with ANY right ALSO comes responsibility. Not only with the 2nd Amendment, but with all rights. For example, you (or I) have no free speech 'right' to shout "FIRE!" in a crowded theater (probably the most oft-used example) if there is, in fact, no fire. Therefore, there is a Constitutional right to free speech, but there is also a limit on that right. There is NO Constitutional right to act irresponsibly or recklessly.

I hope you find this an appropriate response (even if you disagree). If someone wants to begin a separate thread on such issues, I'd be happy to discuss. :)

Last edited:

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Getting this thread back on the original topic.

I live in West Lafayette and attend Men's basketball games fairly regularly.

I've never been wanded or patted down while entering Mackey Arena. I have been wanded and patted down, over the years, while entering Ross-Aide stadium. They will do visual inspections of bags and purses. These games are also saturated with law enforcement officers (with quite a few in plain clothes) so be aware of this as well.

Remember at Mackey you will be sitting on bleachers (unless you have John Purdue Club tickets). Plan your method of carry appropriately as the people around you will be sitting closely and probably regularly bumping into your firearm.

I am a huge proponent of carrying my firearm whenever and where ever possible but Mackey is one of those places I usually leave it in the car. The crowds will be so large that you can pretty much forget about any "good shot" on a threat inside the stadium.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, isn't that question rather superfluous? Does she already own a gun? Is she already carrying a gun legally?

Are you referring to keeping a gun around the house? In that case, the question is irrelevant as my statements were specifically directed toward the subject of carrying a weapon.

If the situation is that she already has a LTCH, then nothing in my statements prevent her from obtaining training and regularly (whatever time frame that is) qualifying with that weapon.

2nd Amendment concerns aside for a moment (I'm not debating she has the 'right' to carry), if YOU are in, say a mall, and the hypothetical women is confronted by her 'wife-beater' husband and she decides to (justifiably, for sake of discussion) pull her weapon and fire, and YOU are somewhere behind / beyond the husband with YOUR wife and little children, would YOU prefer that she - A) she simply has a 'right' to carry, defend herself and fire at will or, B) has been properly and thoroughly trained, qualified, and is able to put those round on their intended target?

If she just bought a gun and carries it with no training (and that happens QUITE frequently), at that moment in time, WHO is the greater threat to YOU and your family, the woman shooting in your direction, or the 'wife-beater' husband?

And, as you raised the issue of limitations of your (or our) rights, let's ALSO remember that with ANY right ALSO comes responsibility. Not only with the 2nd Amendment, but with all rights. For example, you (or I) have no free speech 'right' to shout "FIRE!" in a crowded theater (probably the most oft-used example) if there is, in fact, no fire. Therefore, there is a Constitutional right to free speech, but there is also a limit on that right. There is NO Constitutional right to act irresponsibly or recklessly.

I hope you find this an appropriate response (even if you disagree). If someone wants to begin a separate thread on such issues, I'd be happy to discuss. :)

A woman being beaten by her husband/boyfriend needs to defend herself, not only in the home.
    Women have defended themselves, with little official training, and have not caused mass casualties of people around them.
    Training and range time means the government has to approve.
    Do you want Michael Moore to be the person who determines when/if you can carry?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clay County
    I was going to make a comment about attending a Purdue basketball game, but given the collapse of my Hoosiers last night I will pass.

I've not been to Mackey, but I don't recall being wanded or otherwise checked the last time I was in Bloomington or Muncie (BSU). If you try, I would go deep CC. At Pacers game last week, they were having everyone lift their coats and turn around. Wands were also present, but not used (on me, at least). I was not carrying.

Hell even WE beat Illinois! lol :D

Okay, sorry for taking thread off topic....return to debate now......

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana

This is just completely false. The IC applies to K-12 regarding schools. Not colleges. It is not illegal to carry a gun on a college campus in this state as long as no other law applies, courthouse etc. They can ask you to leave, if you don't you can be arrested for trespassing. If your a student, you will likely be removed from that status but that's it. One is breaking no law by doing so.

Top Bottom