Anyone ever shoot a hole in their house?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I don't on 110 either, anything above that, gets turned off and tested off before being worked on.

110 (or 120 rather), kills more people than high voltages!

It will grab you, rather you grab it as your muscles contract and you can't let go. Higher voltages just blow parts off, as it blows you away from it.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    My Papaw back after the War obliterated mama's end table with a 12 gauge blast from a Winchester Model 1897 when he came in from rabbit hunting....He had forgot to empty it outside and when he realized he had not he pointed it towards the floor by the table and began ejecting the shells from the gun and the hammer slipped on the last shell...1897's were notorious for this and she (Mama)never let him live it down...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Still a ND...your fault or not. In the case you implied, it's a manufacture defect, thus a manufacture ND. If you owned the gun for a while and it goes off, it's your ND for not regularly inspecting and making repairs prior to loading the gun.

Hogwash. Quit trying to pin every bad thing that happens onto someone. When negligence truly occurs then balme should be meted out. But occasionally, things do fail without just cause or blame.

It's talk like this that will get Kirk over here bringing up his Wingmaster at Shootrite. No wants to hear that story again. :rolleyes:

This whole thread bears out the need for every gun owner to have a sand barrel (or 5 gal. bucket) at home. Hearing all this talk about holes in houses makes me sympathetic to banning guns. If people can't be responsible enough to keep from coonfingering guns then take them away. (or at least dope slap them). Unloading / loading / field stripping? USE A SAND BARREL! If you can spend $1500 for safe then you can spend $5 for a sand barrel!

Just once I want to hear, "yeah, I had an ND, but the bullet ended up one foot into the sand and not my waterbed/ceiling/wall/dining room table/neighbor".

:xmad:

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    One guy I work with shot at his house with his .44 magnum. He says it was a night of drunkenness. Brick house, no holes in it. He was careful not to shoot out the windows.

Another guy I know put a .45 acp through the wall in his college apartment. Just patched it up with some mud on the inside and a plug for the outside hole in the siding.

Number9xd

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Ky
    When I was a kid my 2nd cousin (my uncles age) was drunk one night and shot a hole clean through his roof with a 12ga. He immediately walked to my uncles house and gave him the gun and told him to hold it a few days lol. They shot and hunted together a lot back then. You could stand in the living room and see sky.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    When I was a kid my 2nd cousin (my uncles age) was drunk one night and shot a hole clean through his roof with a 12ga. He immediately walked to my uncles house and gave him the gun and told him to hold it a few days lol. They shot and hunted together a lot back then. You could stand in the living room and see sky.

As someone with deep Scots Irish Kentucky roots (Muhlenberg, Ohio, Grayson County area)why did I know your location would be Kentucky???

It's genetically in our DNA after getting likkered up to fire a minimum of one shotgun blast into the air...I think it's in Kentucky's Constitution as well as our genetic make up...It's kind of embarrassing really but it's there....If your 2nd cousin (another Kentucky thing...Actually knowing your 2nd and 3rd cousins) had shot outside the incident would have never even raised an eyebrow.....:):

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    My family (Penrod) is from Muhlengurg County 1790-1950. They were originally German/Scotch (Palentine). Lots of stories from those days that would make INGO look tame. I actually sat down to do some research and wrote a family history. If you PM me, I can send you a link to some PDF's if you are interested. I still own the old family farm in Beech Creek, KY where grandad was a coal miner and lived in the company housing.

Embarrassing maybe, but as the saying goes "You can pick your nose, but you can't pick your family".

Let me put it this way...I'm not the first, or the second, or third in my family to ................!

As someone with deep Scots Irish Kentucky roots (Muhlenberg, Ohio, Grayson County area)why did I know your location would be Kentucky???

It's genetically in our DNA after getting likkered up to fire a minimum of one shotgun blast into the air...I think it's in Kentucky's Constitution as well as our genetic make up...It's kind of embarrassing really but it's there....If your 2nd cousin (another Kentucky thing...Actually knowing your 2nd and 3rd cousins) had shot outside the incident would have never even raised an eyebrow.....:):

barber613

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Kokomo
    Maybe it's already been said, but you are NOT going to be able to repair the exterior wall with caulk and a hammer. That siding, which looks vinyl to me, will need to be replaced anywhere there are holes.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Sounds like the leaf spring was loaded a little light against the sear.

That'll happen with a 1911 real easy when trying to drop the trigger pull weight with a new or tweaked leaf spring without using a lightened trigger.

Need to be careful with that because that condition can cause one to start doubling or go full auto out of the blue.

Yes it can......ask me how I know.

How do ya know?

Prolly the same way I know.;)

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Yes. A family member put a 22LR through an exterior wall, and it sailed off into a corn field.

2" barrel .22 pocket auto went through en exterior wall and kept on going. Lets all repeat that to ourselves, so we have it on hand next time someone poopoos the little 22LR.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Just once I want to hear, "yeah, I had an ND, but the bullet ended up one foot into the sand and not my waterbed/ceiling/wall/dining room table/neighbor".

:xmad:

Can the unintended discharge still be said to be negligent in the event that it had preemptively remedied?

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Someone take away his guns...How can you possibly discharge a firearm while cleaning it? Hi #1 unload it...no sympathy could have taken his own life or that of another.

Number9xd

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Ky
    Forgot about this one.....last year (or year before maybe) my little bro-in-law had been deer hunting. Opened his truck door, slid his 3006 into the case in the passenger seat and when he pulled his hand out of the case his glove caught the trigger and shot a hole through his pass door.

Epic failure on several levels, I know. Gun loaded, safety off, gloves on with finger on the trigger.... I told him he was dang lucky one of his friends wasn't standing by the door waiting for him to unlock it.

macafly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Scary stories. As said again and again, always follow the 4 rules!!! Never had a ND/AD but have had a lot of things happen that never happened before, and they are generally embarassing, if not possibly deadly..
    Plan to stay safe, then follow the plan!!
    Cheers

xHwyLT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Monroe
    When you handle guns a lot. Unfortunately, the sad truth regarding ND/AD is; it's really a matter of when you have a ND/AD, not if you'll have a ND/AD.

The bottom line is to keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, and never at something that you don't intend to destroy. So when it does occur, no one get injured.

The above statement isn't meant as a lecture, just a few words of friendly advice.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    When you handle guns a lot. Unfortunately, the sad truth regarding ND/AD is; it's really a matter of when you have a ND/AD, not if you'll have a ND/AD.

The bottom line is to keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, and never at something that you don't intend to destroy. So when it does occur, no one get injured.

The above statement isn't meant as a lecture, just a few words of friendly advice.

I don't agree. A ND comes from some form of negligence. An AD is just an ND that someone won't step up to responsibility for. If you keep your guns in good working condition, maintain them well, shoot quality ammunition and follow the safety rules, you will not have a ND. Each ND has a failure in it somewhere. You may call it an accident but that's just whitewashed negligence.

Top Bottom