• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I'm thinking about getting a table at the Greenfield show late July or late September. I've been doing a lot of cleaning and I've got four large boxes of guns, ammo, accessories, military items, outdoor gear, etc. to sell off. Seeing as to the items I have to sell a gun show seems to be the logical venue.

So has anyone ever set up? I would like to know your experiences, and would especially like advice as to how to run a successful table. This would be my first foray into anything like this. I'd hate to show up and nobody buy anything.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I have never had a table (didn't have that much to sell). I just attached a "For Sale" sign to the firearm and then walked around looking at stuff until someone asked "How much?"

There should be someone along shortly with some actual helpful experience. :)

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I have never had a table (didn't have that much to sell). I just attached a "For Sale" sign to the firearm and then walked around looking at stuff until someone asked "How much?"

Me too. They show me a drivers license and LTCH and that's good enough for me.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    As long as you price reasonably, you should have no problem. You do have to consider the cost to rent the table(s) and your expenses and time.
    Better yet, price reasonably and put it all up here on INGO and let us have a shot (pun intended) at it.

jh1978

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Valparaiso, IN
    I thought about doing this too, but I don't think I could handle sitting behind a table all weekend and suffer constant crop dusting and BO, especially in the summer.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville

Heh. Ditto. (...and that sign usually works!)

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    Bogwalker, I set up a table at some of the Tr-State shows. Let me warn you first, that if you rent a table at a show for the first time, the regular vendors are gonna swarm on you before the show opens, and some will low-ball you on your stuff. They like to check out the new guy and see if he has made a mistake and priced something too low.

Do plenty of research on prices. I try to price my stuff a fair market value, and leave a little room to dicker on the price.

When selling ammo, I try to walk around the show before it opens, see what the other guys' prices are, and price mine below that. I don't want to haul ammo back out of the place on Sunday.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Remember too, if you are new, you're not going to get the best table... but considering the size of the Greenfield show, it probably won't be an issue.
    Be ready to answer any and all stupid questions.
    Be nice, but not pushy. Treat people right and don't act like your stuff is the most awesome stuff ever created, and you'll do fine.
    Keep an eye on your stuff. it can grow legs...

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    The Army retired me in "09. I had a bunch of "left overs" and some stuff I didn't need at the time so I got a table at the gun show in Crown Point. Sold a couple guns, a bunch of knives... Made quite a bit of money. Wife spent it on non-gun stuff. Should have kept my stuff.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    If you have a lot of patience ,especially with rude people and carny type gun show regulars, then getting a table might work for you. I'd probably rather walk on broken glass, than sit behind a table answering stupid questions and trying to make sure that my stuff doesn't get stolen or broken. I don't want to paint with too broad a brush, there are good vendors, like mkgr22 and some nice folks who walk in the door, but the idiots (the minority) sure do take you down quicker than a submarine in a crash dive.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom