Anyone familiar with failed emissions test and retest procedure?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spudgunr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    NWI - Porter County
    Here is the short of it: MIL was on and the codes turned up to be the O2 sensor. I crawled under to see if I could replace it, but there wasn't enough room on the upstream for me to get to it. I tried, and to try I unplugged the downstream sensor to see if the plug would fit through the hole in my socket. I accidentally left it unplugged. We went to a mechanic to replace the upstream sensor, and he filled out the paperwork for the emissions and checked the box tampered: YES but wrote no comments. I'm honestly not sure if the guy even meant to check the yes box, my wife seems to think maybe he just was out of it.

So, I my check engine light came back on (obviously), go run the codes, see the downstream sensor heating circuit/element, so I figure I'll see what the resistance is. Get under car, see plug unplugged, DOH!

So 2 questions:

1. With paperwork checked as "tampered: yes" will it affect my retesting at all? It seems that maybe it will only affect eligibility for a waiver, but I don't think that will be needed anyhow.
    2. Will the MIL clear itself since I plugged the HO2S back in or do I need to get it cleared? If cleared I want to get it done ASAP so everything will be ready to go on Tuesday for retesting. Plates expire on Friday so I want to finish up as quick as possible.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I believe you will need to clear it manually.

Once you clear a code, it needs to be driven for a while before it will pass. If you take it in too soon, it will show 'pending' when they plug it in. Get it cleared ASAP then drive it between now and Friday. You'll want to get some in-town miles and some highway miles on it, there are various requirements for clearing that 'pending' flag.

I wouldn't even present any paperwork that indicates it has been tampered with. Leave that alone unless it becomes necessary.

Top Bottom