• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    So the question is in the title, but here is the background. Today I was "rightsized" (new term for downsize). I have never had to file for unemployment, but may have to this time.

I am about 50 with two basic careers. I managed restaurants for others for 15 years and have almost 20 years in Tool&Die/Moldmaking. I owned a small mold shop for 5 years and tried to save a failing restaurant for over a year. I have 15 years CNC programming and Mastercam experience and am pretty fluent in design using UGS NX4 and some Mechanical Desktop.

So if I was the guy let go for downsizing (one out of eight in engineering dept.) then I was considered the weak link. So the next question is; if I sucked then what should I be doing. So I have taken some of the career tests and while the results aren't surprising, they do seem to be geared toward younger people.

I was inspired to start this thread after reading through the "services" thread where many of you folks offer your talents and skills. The amount of skills available through that thread are awesome. I always say you meet the nicest people at the range and in the smoking area, and now I can see also the sharpest people at the range.

So y'all have at it and pass on your opinions!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I went to a career counselor type person when I was a year or so out of college, and took his test. The results didn't tell me anything definitive, and weren't in the least bit surprising. Basically all it was was a glorified personality test, which then suggested several career options where such a personality profile might be useful or appropriate. If you know yourself, you already know the "answers" the test will give you.

And no, the field I'm involved in (and which I have been for the past 10 years) wasn't listed in the test results.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    So the question is in the title, but here is the background. Today I was "rightsized" (new term for downsize). I have never had to file for unemployment, but may have to this time.

I am about 50 with two basic careers. I managed restaurants for others for 15 years and have almost 20 years in Tool&Die/Moldmaking. I owned a small mold shop for 5 years and tried to save a failing restaurant for over a year. I have 15 years CNC programming and Mastercam experience and am pretty fluent in design using UGS NX4 and some Mechanical Desktop.

So if I was the guy let go for downsizing (one out of eight in engineering dept.) then I was considered the weak link. So the next question is; if I sucked then what should I be doing. So I have taken some of the career tests and while the results aren't surprising, they do seem to be geared toward younger people.

I was inspired to start this thread after reading through the "services" thread where many of you folks offer your talents and skills. The amount of skills available through that thread are awesome. I always say you meet the nicest people at the range and in the smoking area, and now I can see also the sharpest people at the range.

So y'all have at it and pass on your opinions!

I feel your pain, brother! I'm "about 50" as well and learned that my temp position will be ending soon. I never realized there was such age bias. But then again, you never really pay attention to that stuff until it hits close to home.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Don't think that you sucked or were the weakest link. Think about how often your boss is/was wrong about your abilities. Somethings things are merely political or tenure related.

I don't know if I would necessary go the route of taking a professional profile test unless it was free. Shooter is generally correct in stating that it often reveals what you already often know.

I hope you find a job soon. Chances are, if you are a member of INGO, you're a pretty solid dude.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Yeah, when I was RIFed from my last job, looking at the other people who were in that group of "layoffs" it was entirely because I had been there for 7 years, and they could get rid of me or 2 JR programmers salary wise. Anyone who'd been there more then 5 years and wasn't "IN" with the VP were on the chopping block.

Do what you know, but don't let what you know stand in the way of new opportunities, or a part time job (if you need it.)

I don't put much in career tests, but psychological, skills, and strength tests I've seen match up pretty well.

A test I just took, which is helping me focus my career was the Strengths 2.0 test. The book is inexpensive, and you take the test online. Strengths Homepage

It really nailed my top 2 strengths, and the other 3 were a surprise, and might lead me to approaching some things differently.

From my experiences (laid off 3 times during recessions,) presenting your skills and experience in the best light, and tailored to the job your seeking is the most important in finding a new job. Do your homework on any company your applying to. Send a cover letter with your resume. And followup with a note thanking them for the opportunity, and with anything you think of after the interview. Also let everyone you know that you're looking for a job.

Also start tightening your fiscal belt now. Be frugal, and keep your head up. This probably wasn't because of anything you did.

One thing to consider might be teaching a continuing education course. Either machining or restaurant management, or some other skill you have.

Last edited:

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    wow man im sorry.

as an HR grad, i can see where the company is coming from saving costs. unfortunately, you were the one to be cut this time. Its getting warm outside. take the unemployment and go to the range. then look for a job in the evenings.

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    Thanks for that advice Slab but you met my wife and you can see how high maintenance she is! LOL I do think I will have to burn some powder as it just always makes me FEEL better!

Thank you all for all the input. I got some more info today and there were 13 whacked total, supposed to be 10% by corporate edict, even though our plant had a great year last year and are doing great right now but other plants are not doing so well. Go figure!

Good idea Keith_indy, a few years back I created and taught a plastic part design class for Tri-State University (now Trine), I will have to give that some consideration.

My head is screwed on a little tighter today and I went through the unemployment filing (first time in 35 years) and updated the resume and made contact with some folks who know me and may have good leads.

Funny 20-25 years ago when it was first possible to actually make a living shooting that was my goal, then divorce came calling. I could still go be passionate about that and I'm probably younger than Jerry Miculek, maybe I'll start practicing!! Of course that doesn't go with the "tightening the belt" advice!

Top Bottom