• d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Looking for some good camping spots in central to southern Indiana. I'm up north so looking to check some new places south. Looking to hike and swim. Maybe some boating. Got any suggestions I'd appreciate it. Springs right around the corner:):

Scarecrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Grissom
    We love Mississenewa. But rumor has it they will be working on the dam again this year. So I'm not sure what conditions will be for the beach or boating.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Is that in southern Indiana? Do they have any antique shops or other stuff to do in town? Thanks

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Chain of lakes up north has camping on the islands in the lakes. Would fit your requests.

South is the three lakes in the hoosier national forest.Nice trail around the lakes.

Metamora f you want the small shops and bloomington for artisy fartsy stuff.

Spring mill is a good state park. I like the old deem wilderness at the cave entracne. True old growth forest in Indian just about the only spot in the state the way the forest was before the white man destroyed it all. They have a neat old village if you like that kind of stuff.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Yeah they all sound great other than the artsy fartsy stuff. Thanks for the suggestions

427TriPowered

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    if you dont wanna gett too far off the road you can put up a tent under the tree on this little point... walk into the lake and swim... launch a canoe or rent one... generally there is nobody in the area... camped here many times... usually had it all to ourselves...

yellowwood lake... link here...

Ahuey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2012
    Indy
    I heard there was a camp grounds in Columbus area that has gun ranges. Anyone else know about that?

Mike D.

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Try "sugar creek camp ground" it's west but its a nice mom and pop ran camp ground. Everything is clean and has plenty of hot water in the showers. Try out their tubbing trips.

whackmaster66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Brownsburg
    Starve Hallow just west of Brownstown... Nice 150 acre lake and trails and have clean restrooms/shower houses.. We have gone there every yr for the last 15yrs and love it... You wont be disappointed..

Glock4life

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Elkhart, IN
    Potato Creek is in north-central Indiana about 12 miles southwest of South Bend. The park features a wide array of activities and facilities for year-round enjoyment. Making reservations is advisable to enjoy some of the facilities at this very popular park.
    A variety of natural habitats await, including the 327-acre Worster Lake, old fields, mature woodlands, restored prairies and diverse wetlands. Each offers unique opportunities for plant and wildlife observation.
    Native peoples used the area for hunting and fishing. The area’s first people of European descent settled here in the 1830s.

ihammond

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Millhousen
    The camp ground in Columbus with a gun range is Ceraland. Their range is 6 lanes from a close handgun lane to a 100 yard if i remember right. The last time i was there i had it to myself. I was suggest checking out Brown county state park for camping.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'm partial to Shades State Park...

And, in a pinch, Turkey Run State Park.

Like most State parks, though, weekends (especially holiday weekends) are generally booked pretty solid.

Jmebd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    I'll second the Hoosier National Forest. I personally love two specific areas around Monroe Lake that are VERY remote access wise and lucky to see one or two people in a weeks time. The first is a road leading westward out of Maumee that dead ends at the old marshlands (road just north of tower ridge road). Unless you have a 4x4 and are pretty confident about your driving abilities (and perhaps have a winch just in case) you'll need to stop at a concrete bridge where gravel road turns to dirt. Area past that is rutted up pretty badly but I have taken my 1500HD back further several times and have seen hardcore deer hunters go back there with a walk in bed mounted camper too just be careful of rocks. I've seen several people with busted axles and mangled tires sitting near the hunter check station nearby awaiting help to arrive.

Second is near that area but in from the north east direction of Story Indiana (turn off near Gnaw bone) and is called Elkinsville. There is a road that is blocked off at the final bridge (also ends in dirt road) that also has many trails in Yellowwood State forest and the backside of Browncounty state park. This area is somewhat more visited by canoe people as there is a po-dunk canoe rental place nearby. On the summit of the high ridge above the parking area is Browning summit where sometimes native Americans used to come hold ceremonies at the "sacred circle" stones on the summit of that hill. They are pretty neat and wierd at the same time, nothing immaculate but are a strange sight to see nevertheless. I GEOCACHE (geocaching.com) and its taken me to some wierd places such as this and you can do a google search for geocaching and sacred circle and if you have a GPS, can download the GPX for that and it will take you right there. Back down at the parking area you be able to hike all the way to Crooked Creek along the Monroe Lake shoreline if you like to fish/swim or whatever. Before you go I'd suggest hitting either USGS website for some Topo's of the area and/or the HNF ranger office (one in Bedford) for a nice waterproof map of the area.

Another area I love (not really much for swimming) is the NEBO ridge area. Fantastic area with HUGE hills and valleys and is also very remote via gravel roads. Usually only see people during deer season.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom