Anyone Have Experience With The CZ 455 American 22lr?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldguyguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Cicero
    Anyone have hands on experience with the CZ 455 American 22lr? Reading lots of good things on it's accuracy but trust you folks more? thanks----

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I have a 455 Suppressor Ready Tacticool, great gun, love it, but I'm one of the few people that have a picky 455. Only loads I've tried that shoot well so far are Eley Target and Club.

Also have a 455 American in .17 HMR, great shooter, deadly crow gun.

452 Super BRNO 2500, just iron sights, so far shoots really good with CCI SV and Federal Gold Medal Target

I really like the CZ action, looks, feel, etc.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Had one and sold it. Touched briefly on it in a different thread but I'll go into more detail here.
    I've had 5 CZ rimfires of various types and have sold off every one of them. Way over rated IMHO.
    The 455 American I had was also very ammo finicky. IIRC the only standard grade ammo it shot well was Aguila SV. Anything else group size about doubled. And my standards are not that picky for that matter. Also the extractors needed some work before they would extract loaded rounds, even then it never was 100%. That seems to actually be a fairly common problem, also had a 452 with the same problem tho not quite as bad.
    Also I post on a rimfire specific forum and it seems like a high percentage of the CZs that are good shooters have had some work done to them, anything from a simple trigger job to barrel replacement. For the kind of coin a CZ costs, that shouldn't be necessary. I've heard some real horror stories on the 455 series also, really poor internal machining, uneven crowns, rough chambers, lousy rifling.
    I will say all the ones I had looked good and a couple had some really nice wood on them, but for me functionality takes precedence over form. I don't care how nice the bluing is if I have to pry a loaded round out of the chamber with a pocket knife.

augdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Sheridan
    I have A 452 by far the most accurate 22 rifle I have ever had. The down fall for me I bought to squirrel hunt with. The gun like carrying A club around.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    another 452 lover here mine drives nails with the cheap 550 rd federal bricks. It shoots better than any 22lr ive had. I bought my 452 trainer and a bull barrelled thumbhole stocked savage on the same day. I still have the cz and 2 of the 452 scout models for the kids.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    My cz455 tacticool was stupid accurate out of the box. Shoots all standard velocity ammo very well. Mine had a very nice trigger out of the box. Around 3lbs with a little creep. I got a great deal on a rifle basix trigger and put that in. It's amazing. I have had absolutely zero issues with mine.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    I had one for a little while. I added tech sights, but I didn't really shoot the rifle that well so I traded it off. I would buy buy another one, probably the tacticool threaded one

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I just had mine out back playing around. Here are some results. This is with aguila super extra standard velocity ammo. This is at 25 meters and I'm not really a very good shot so!

Last edited:

rcwill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 12, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I own 2 of them...one in .22 and one .17. The .22 is really accurate and I'm very happy with it. The .17 is good, but not as accurate as I've heard on forums so I'm a little disappointed. Going to pillar bed i and see if things improve.

buddy17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    United States
    Had one and sold it. Touched briefly on it in a different thread but I'll go into more detail here.
    I've had 5 CZ rimfires of various types and have sold off every one of them. Way over rated IMHO.
    The 455 American I had was also very ammo finicky. IIRC the only standard grade ammo it shot well was Aguila SV. Anything else group size about doubled. And my standards are not that picky for that matter. Also the extractors needed some work before they would extract loaded rounds, even then it never was 100%. That seems to actually be a fairly common problem, also had a 452 with the same problem tho not quite as bad.
    Also I post on a rimfire specific forum and it seems like a high percentage of the CZs that are good shooters have had some work done to them, anything from a simple trigger job to barrel replacement. For the kind of coin a CZ costs, that shouldn't be necessary. I've heard some real horror stories on the 455 series also, really poor internal machining, uneven crowns, rough chambers, lousy rifling.
    I will say all the ones I had looked good and a couple had some really nice wood on them, but for me functionality takes precedence over form. I don't care how nice the bluing is if I have to pry a loaded round out of the chamber with a pocket knife.

Well that is definitely the first time I've read something like this. I guess I should be doing a bit more research. I've been considering selling my FV-SR for a CZ. Or I may just build out the Savage. Thanks for the honest opinion.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I've been very pleased with all 6 of the CZ rifles I've owned. I still have the 453 with the set trigger and a Brno 611 .22 WMR.

I have never had a 455 but I have friends who are pleased with theirs.

Over on RimfireCentral a fellow by the name of Djdilliodon does glass bedding and accurizing work on that model. He buys enough Lila bbls that he could probably get you a discount vs buying one on your own..

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I own 2 of them...one in .22 and one .17. The .22 is really accurate and I'm very happy with it. The .17 is good, but not as accurate as I've heard on forums so I'm a little disappointed. Going to pillar bed i and see if things improve.

I found the .17 mach 2 American I had liked to be held tightly to get good accuracy. Experiment a bit with action screw torque and hold her close and see if she improves.

Top Bottom