• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I have a bluk box of 36 grain, hp that came in a bulk box of 550.
    I've had about 15 to 20 percent of these turn out to be dudes.

I've been shooting out of this box for a few days now and it's common for me to have anywhere between 3 to 7 bad bullets our of 30. They've been struck, you can see the indention, but they didn't fire.
    Most of the time they will fire when shot again, but I've one that wouldn't fire no matter how much it was refired.

At first I thought it was the gun, but in a different gun I have anywhere from 2 to 3 out of 10 that did the exact same thing.

It gets more interesting. I try same type of Federals I've had for a few years and it did the same thing. Same type ammo different lot and the same thing.

Anyone else have this problem with Federal?

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I've used federal bulk .22 ammo for years and not had problems with it. I guess that they could have ran a bad batch.

Now, Remington ammo is another story altogether!

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I have a bluk box of 36 grain, hp that came in a bulk box of 550.
    I've had about 15 to 20 percent of these turn out to be dudes.

I've been shooting out of this box for a few days now and it's common for me to have anywhere between 3 to 7 bad bullets our of 30. They've been struck, you can see the indention, but they didn't fire.
    Most of the time they will fire when shot again, but I've one that wouldn't fire no matter how much it was refired.

At first I thought it was the gun, but in a different gun I have anywhere from 2 to 3 out of 10 that did the exact same thing.

It gets more interesting. I try same type of Federals I've had for a few years and it did the same thing. Same type ammo different lot and the same thing.

Anyone else have this problem with Federal?

Are the rest of them CHICKS?

I've had very little problem with this ammo. Based on what you have said have the same problem with different batches of ammo out of different guns sounds like maybe a moisture problem? Any chance it got wet somehow?

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    As far as bulk rimfire, the federal stuff is the most reliable I have used lately. The Rem. golden bullet is the hands down worst, but it seems only in reliability, as I have decent accuracy from just about any of it.

CSORuger

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Brownsburg Indiana
    Sometime in Feb. 2011 there was a recall

FED AE 45 AUTO 230GR FMJ, AE45A UPC 2946508503

FED GM 45AUT 185FMJSWC-M, GM45B, UPC 2946508937

FED AMMO 45AUTO 185JHP, C45C, UPC, 2946509313

My understanding is wrong propellant.

kmshooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Boone Co.
    bullet,

In our 4-H Shooting Sports program we use American Eagle 5022's, same as Federal 510 Lightning. We usually go through about 1 case every Saturday. Our kids are allowed to bring their own rifles if they want. We see everything from Grandpa's rusted single shot to Anschutz target rifles.

Rarely do we see fail to fires (FTF's) but it does happen. I usually take those rounds home and try them in one of my rifles. (I have 3 Mossbergs and a Marlin 981T.) All that I have brought home fired without a problem in my Mossbergs. My 981T will not always be successful. I think the problem with the 981T is that sometimes the firing pin floats up in the bolt and does not provide a good strike.

Now, we did have more FTF's on a particular Saturday for our first session. We traced the cause to an open container of cartridges that got wet the previous week. We are fairly certain that the problem was a result of wet ammo because after the first session, we no longer had the problems.

I have a case of the same ammo at home so I looked closely at several cartridges and noticed that not all of the bullets are tight in the case. This leads me to believe that moisture got in the cases and caused that problem.

Sorry for the long post but I thought some background would support the conclusion a little better.

Personally, I like the ammo. In my opinion, it is probably the best "cheap" ammo available. It has always been reliable for me and it is accurate in all of my rifles at 25 yards or less.

Regards,

Kmshooter

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    What is it about Reminton ammo in general, or is it just me? I've had trouble with their .22lr bulk pack ammo, .40 UMC ammo, and their .380 Home Defense I had some issues. Does Remington ammo just bite or what? Their firearms seem to be fine, maybe they should stick to making guns only.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I guess I should have paid more attention. I have always had good experience with all types of Federal ammo, all calibers (especially .22lr bulk champion packs). Hope this helps.

c2joe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Gone through a few dozen boxes of federal 9mm, only had two fail to fire that I can think of over the last few months.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Bulk pack ammo can be very gun-specific for me.
    My AR-15 .22LR conversion kit likes Federal
    My 1911 .22LR conversion kit likes Remington
    Neither loves Winchester.
    My 22/45 isn't as picky. When matched with the gun, I haven't noticed a large number of misfires with Federal.

Top Bottom