• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    According to some online reading there's people out there who focus more of their hunting times by the cycle of the moon phase. I've never paid attention to it, but to right a full moon which is supposed to be a good thing for hunting tomorrow. Anyone have any experience with this?

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    I just bought two calendars from Rick Taylor's Prime Times calendars for fishing. - PrimeTimes: 2014 PrimeTimes Wall Calendar

They are pretty cool. I bought the 2013 calendar on sale last month and 2014 calendar. I bought them just to see how they work. Even if they don't work I have to admit I enjoy looking at the calendar on the wall.
    It shows the cycles of the sun each day and moon cycles. It's for fishing and hunting. When I ordered it online I got the shipment within a few days too. Quick shipment.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I always hunt mornings and my hunting area is a transition from feeding to bedding. Having said that, full moon tends not to be very good for me, they move through while it is still dark typically. Of course when rut starts anything goes.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I always hunt mornings and my hunting area is a transition from feeding to bedding. Having said that, full moon tends not to be very good for me, they move through while it is still dark typically. Of course when rut starts anything goes.

This is what I've noticed too, seems like during full moon phases, the deer travel/feed at night or in the dark more often.

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I never have any luck on a full moon. Didn't see anything yesterday evening hunt, but saw a lot in fields / crossing road at night on the way home.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    With the cold front approaching, this evening may play out well, and then again Sunday once the front pushes through. It's supposed to be breezy tomorrow with the front pushing through.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I am a firm believer in moon phases. When I plan an out-of-state hunt like to Wyoming for elk, it is definitely planned around moon phases. I have noticed a huge difference in how it effects elk. Full moon- back to bedding areas before daylight, not out until after dark, generally some movement mid-day. No moon, game on! I generally have noticed the same with deer hunting here. I also notice the same when driving to work in the mornings between 4:45 and 6:00 AM. No moon = 10-20 deer sightings in a 30 mile trip. Full moon, 0-5 max. in the same trip.

Dirty Steve

.458socomhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Tipp Co
    It would make sense if there is truth to it. Today and tomorrow are rated well by some, poor by others. I have seen several deer on my way to work at 5AM. I have been out at least 10 times since Sept 15 during the evenings and have seen nodda. I'm going to hop in the shower shortly and head out, not very often I hunt during the day. Around 2pm EST the moon should be directly opposite of the sun, prime time according to some sites. The corn is about out, which should help. We shall see.....

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have noticed a huge difference in how it effects elk. Full moon- back to bedding areas before daylight, not out until after dark, generally some movement mid-day.

Dirty Steve

This has been my experience with whitetails. They still move, just not when most hunters are hunting. Night and middle of the day is when they typically move most during full moon.
    Full moon during the rut or pre-rut, I'll sometimes make it a point to sit through mid-day.

I don't remember where I saw it, but I saw a breakdown of big bucks (P&Y, B&C) killed/ moon phase. A surprisingly high percentage were killed during full moons. I don't have the first clue as to why that is or how to explain it, though. :dunno:

Edit: Big buck/ moon phase calculator http://www.outdoorlife.com/weather/moon

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I don't necessarily hunt by moon phases. However, i don't hunt mornings after full moon. They just run all night and it seems that they are bedded down for most of the day. Instead, i go out early for my evening hunt and it seems to work out

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I haven't seen a single (living) deer this season as I travel 70 from Richmond to Indy and I drive this route daily. That changed this evening. On my way home I spotted 5 in a harvested been field, at the corner of a woods. This was right around 6:45 this evening.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Hunting and fishing. I have used solunar tables since the 70's. I will go on any day at any time but if I am planning a trip I want to go on the best days of that month. Also if I a just trying to decide what time I want to go, I check the tables. Right now I prefer to use the Infisherman app on my iPhone. It is geared towards fishing but it is the same charts used by everyone. It does not rule out weather or environmental issues but all things being equal those are the best days and the best times.

Turfweazel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I use an iPhone app called best hunting times. It gives the times based off of moon phases and I have noticed it is fairly accurate. Of course weather fronts throw a wrench into that so watch the weather also. I just hunt every time I can but it is nice when the moon and the weather match up for me.

Top Bottom