anyone know of an optometrist who knows about shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    I am trying to find out how much my vision is affecting my shooting. I have good but not perfect vision. Years ago in an eye test I was told I had astigmatism in my left eye. It's definitely noticeably worse than my right eye, but I don't wear corrective lenses and I get by just fine reading, driving etc. I have a minor restriction on my driver's license due to a recent test I did at the BMV - I have to have outside mirrors.

I'm trying to learn to shoot a rifle with iron sights. I have a .22 that with a peep sight. I can focus on the front sight no problem, but when I do that, the target is becomes so blurry that it's hard to know where I'm holding. I'd like to see an optometrist who understands that - usually when I hear of people complaining about their vision with irons, the problem is focusing on the front sight. I don't have that problem, and I rarely hear anyone with my complaint.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have had several pairs of single vision eyeglasses made specifically for shooting by having someone carefully measure the distance from my eye to the front sight while sighting the gun. Take that measurement to the optometrist and tell them to have the lenses made for that exact focal length. Now if you do this be aware that while the front sight will be in crisp, sharp focus - the target will be a little fuzzy. It doesn't matter as long as you can find the exact center of the fuzzy target. You can only get ONE focal length from a lens and the human eye can only resolve a sharp focus at ONE distance from the eye - so if you have to choose one - make it the front sight. Most guys try to focus on the target. It is much better to focus on the front sight - even if the target and rear sight notch fuzz out a little. You do not have to even inform the optometrist that you're requesting this for a gun (in case they're anti gun)- just tell them that it's for your computer monitor on your desk. If they say "well, that's pretty far for a computer" just tell them that's how it is.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Front sight should be in focus. Target will be blurred. This is normal.

Go see Dr. Lambring at Conner Smith Eye Center in Seymour.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Seymour is quite a ways further than Crawfordsville from the B Rip.

Call Dr. Gordon Boyd in Crawfordsville and get on his books. (765) 362-3209. I guarantee he will know what you need.

-Nate

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I have had several pairs of single vision eyeglasses made specifically for shooting by having someone carefully measure the distance from my eye to the front sight while sighting the gun. Take that measurement to the optometrist and tell them to have the lenses made for that exact focal length.

This is NOT the correct way to have lenses made for optimal performance. Maintaining and/or increasing depth of field is SO critical for iron-sight shooting, particularly without an aperture in the rear; what you prescribe above reduces depth of field.

The focal distance of your lens ideally needs to be set to a hyperfocal distance that is 1.5x to 2x the measurement to the front sight. This allows for better shooting on real targets. You can't stare at the target, but you sure do have to be able to SEE it...

-Nate

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    This is NOT the correct way to have lenses made for optimal performance. Maintaining and/or increasing depth of field is SO critical for iron-sight shooting, particularly without an aperture in the rear; what you prescribe above reduces depth of field.

The focal distance of your lens ideally needs to be set to a hyperfocal distance that is 1.5x to 2x the measurement to the front sight. This allows for better shooting on real targets. You can't stare at the target, but you sure do have to be able to SEE it...

-Nate

Yes I think you hit the nail on the head there - it seems to be a problem of depth: being able to have the front sight in focus while still being able to see the target with enough clarity to get a consistent picture. Focusing on the front sight is not a problem for me.

GunSense LLC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    Russiaville
    Kelly Gelardin at OSSIP near 38th and 465 on the west side. Kelly (and his wife) are IDPA shooters. I switched to him this year and got dedicated shooting glasses. Best eye exam I have had in my life.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Kelly Gelardin at OSSIP near 38th and 465 on the west side. Kelly (and his wife) are IDPA shooters. I switched to him this year and got dedicated shooting glasses. Best eye exam I have had in my life.

Is this the one that is just west of 465 and behind the Burger King?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

I know Kelly from IDPA, but I didn't know he was an optometrist!

I tried to get an eye exam today from the one of the two places in Crawfordsville that accepts my vision insurance (glasses & contacts only), but they couldn't figure out how to bill my health insurance (which cover eye exams). The two places that are in-network for my health insurance do not accept my vision insurance.

I'm going to call Kelly.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    Thanks.

That is clearly the same guy though lol! Maybe he works in both places or something.

i saw that after i posted, looks like the site you originally posted was done in 2012, so maybe that's where he used to work. I know he works at Ossip now.

Top Bottom