• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I wasn't sure where on INGO to post this, and since there are some very knowledgeable metalsmiths and knife makers here.... I'm asking you all, first. BTW, over a year ago, I posted a thread on "that other Indiana-based gun-related website"... with pics and details of this, and no one there had a clue what I have.

About a year-and-a-half ago, I ordered a very small amount of D2 stainless for making some knife blades (which I'll admit, I've not made yet). The longest piece I order was 15" long. But when the package arrived, it was in a 39" long 3"x3" carton.....and this piece of metal was sent with my 'blade steel'. In fact, it had punctured the end of the box, and was sticking out about an inch or so.

Since I hadn't ordered this, or even knew what it was..... I contacted the vendor, and asked what they knew about it, why it was sent to me, and if they wanted to send a pre-paid postage label for me to return it to them. Surprisingly, when they responded, they said they did not want it returned; didn't know why it was sent to me... and that I could keep it.

Here's some info:

* The 'bar' of metal is exactly 37.5" long, tip to tip
    * It is exactly 5/16"x5/16" square
    * It has 'rounded' cone-shaped ends
    * It weighs exactly 1 lb
    * It is very slightly magnetic (attracted to a strong magnet)
    * The surface is very shiny, like the nickel plating on some firearms
    * Except for on the cone-shaped tips, it shows no visible milling marks
    * It is "self-healing" (YES, you read that right, It is self-healing, like some of the space-age super alloys)

I know it is self-healing because, I swear on my rep..... I sanded and ground on this bar (after doing much research on the net, trying to I.D. it.....and even more research, after). When I sanded the area that is 'lighter colored' in pics 3, 4 & 5......it didn't leave any sanding dust. Just barely dis-colored the sandpaper I used on it. After sanding it, the next day I took a medium course 1.5" grinding wheel (in my drill) to it..... for about 3 minutes solid! The grinding put a 'divot' in the side of the bar, that was 5/8" long and easily 1/8" deep in the center. Again, there was very little dust/residue from doing this. My reason for doing the grinding, was to see what the 'interior' of this metal looked like. It was kind of 'crystalline-looking'.... for lack of a better description.

The next evening, I went to my shop, looked at the bar of metal..... and that ground 'divot', had healed! The only visible sign of my having ground on this, were very tiny 'stress cracks'. (See pic #4) The area I ground the divot in.... has a ball-point pen pointing at it, in the pic. When I put a straight edge across that area of the surface, it was (and still is) ....completely flush! :cool:

So, anyone here got any clue what I might have here? All I can figure (from my extensive research), is that it might be a nickel/silver/steel alloy.....

Amysteriousmetal001.jpg

Amysteriousmetal002.jpg

Amysteriousmetal003.jpg

Amysteriousmetal005.jpg

Amysteriousmetal004.jpg

Last edited:

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    first guess would be zinc, or a high alloy steel. It is too heavy for titanium with the sizes you give.

If it were true self healing it would have glossed over after you finished sanding and not maintained the scratched surface. This leads me to believe it is a hard metal.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Here's a pic of the 'healed' area of the bar... with an aluminum ruler on top. The part that had the divot is below the five-inch to five-and-three-quarters-inch part of the ruler. As you can see.... it is fully filled in, and flush with the straight-edge.

I am still amazed by this phenomenon!

You can see the small "stress cracks", right below the 5 1/4" mark.....

Amysteriousmetal.jpg

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    NOTHING TO SEE HEAR FOLKS!....i have the same thing......its chrome plated some kinda S.S its part of a grill rotisserie!.......do i win a prize?...lol

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Call the Vatican, it's a miracle :bow:

Not really.

For years now, NASA and some German engineers, have been working on, and in fact have already developed..... self-healing steel alloys; some of the so-called 'Super-alloys'.

Also, the University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee.... received a 1.2 million-dollar grant from the U.S. Army (just about a year ago now).... to develop polymer enriched metal electro-plating, that heals itself.... if the metal is deeply scratched or even cracked.

Scientific research in this area of metallurgy has been going on (and been successful, to a degree) for many years now. NASA, in particular, has already incorporated some of the Super-alloys (different combinations of stainless steel + Titanium + Nickel and stainless steel + Cobalt + Zinc + Nickel; etc) into certain replacement parts of the International Space Station.

Here's a link to a TIME magazine article, dated August 1967..... that talks about these self-healing metals..... even some 44 years ago.
    Metallurgy: Self-Healing Steel - TIME

Given what may have been (possibly secretly) developed over the last 44 years...... maybe the so-called flying saucers, are in fact real, and man-made!?

My wonderment is; what is this particular metal (alloy) that I have.... and what was its' purpose.... coming from a distributor of stainless and stainless alloys.... that inadvertently, got shipped to me by mistake.

Last edited:

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    The shipping box had holes in one end??

Maybe some-"ONE" other than the shipper put it in the box AFTER it was mailed! "Your job, Mr. Phelps -- if you choose to accept it --" EBG

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Maybe some-"ONE" other than the shipper put it in the box AFTER it was mailed! "Your job, Mr. Phelps -- if you choose to accept it --" EBG

No, because...... the carton should have originally only been about 16"-17" long. The D2 I ordered was all under 16" in length.

The received carton was like 39" long.... :)

Top Bottom