Anyone nervous about going to the range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Just curious if anyone is worried about their safety at the range since Chris Kyle was tragically murdered by the gentleman he was helping. My friend and I were discussing it around the time it happened.

We both agreed that we're not really nervous, and his circumstances were a little different than ours would be, but that ultimately if you're at the range and someone else is there and goes crazy (so to speak) the same thing could easily happen.

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    I normally only go to the range by myself our with my fiance. It's an indoor range, so the risk of injury is minimal. It costs more than the free range close to home, but I feel safer at the indoor range.

rbhargan

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    Carmel/Liberty
    No.

There is a much greater chance of suffering death or injury in my car while on the way to the range.

These things get blown out of all proportion.

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    NO, I always go with someone, and there is ALWAYS a loaded gun, within reach, of one of US !!!!! :draw:

Yes, but didn't he and the other gentleman have loaded guns as well? Seems like the guy basically went nuts and shot them in their backs.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Two people murdered at the range... compared to untold numbers killed NOT at a range...

I am 1000x more likely to die driving to the range than I am dying once I get there.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Not at all. I like to keep an eye out for "newbie" looking folks while I am there but not nervous at all. Not very many murders at the gun range. Do not know the stats but I would guess very, very, very low.

Hiserman79

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Madison
    No.

There is a much greater chance of suffering death or injury in my car while on the way to the range.

These things get blown out of all proportion.

Agreed!

no way I can say out of one side of my mouth Im pro 2nd admendment and then the other say I fear being around guns at a gun range. This would equate to not eating out for fear of a pissed off cook posioning my food. I will not fear a gun, I will be aware of whom is in my presence no matter if Im in Taco Bell, church or a Range and prepare accordingly. Chris was ambused, by a mentally unstable man. This is an isolated incident I will not over react and allow fear to guide me. I will not let a rare occurence cause me to go all liberal and fear the unknown. I will be free, if I am forced into one of these isolated incidents may my reaction be swift and my aim be true.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Not a concern for me, we have our own private range out back. Besides most people that go on shooting sprees usually opt for gun free zones.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You're more likely to get shot by accident by someone who will ignore the 4 safety rules than by someone who will want to murder you.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just curious if anyone is worried about their safety at the range since Chris Kyle was tragically murdered by the gentleman he was helping. My friend and I were discussing it around the time it happened.

We both agreed that we're not really nervous, and his circumstances were a little different than ours would be, but that ultimately if you're at the range and someone else is there and goes crazy (so to speak) the same thing could easily happen.

I would not call his assassin a gentlemen but that is just me.

No, I only worry about my grouping.

Or what Sylvain said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    You're more likely to get shot by accident by someone who will ignore the 4 safety rules than by someone who will want to murder you.

I saw someone at Roush catch a bullet fragment in the arm because someone had a malfunction and decoded pointing it sideways was the best way to clear it.

Last edited:

iceman7668

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    As a prior service member, I still retain a slight paranoia when I am out. I am definatly aware of my surroundings, whether in a parking lot or on a gun range. It never hurts to do situational assesments in your head.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Or what Sylvain said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:rockwoot:

I think we all look around for a minute when an unknown shooter comes to the bench right next to ours.

Once you notice he knows how to handle his guns properly (keeps them pointed down range at all time, finger off the trigger, knows how to reload, clear malfunctions etc) then you can focus on your own shooting.
    And you're not in danger if you turn your back to that person or dont pay any attention to what he's doing.
    If you notice that the shooter his not really safe then you can and should step up to correct him and teach him a few tips.

Lonestar6

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    As a prior service member, I still retain a slight paranoia when I am out. I am definatly aware of my surroundings, whether in a parking lot or on a gun range. It never hurts to do situational assesments in your head.

Iceman is right, not nervous our scared but situationally aware; regardless of the location.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Yes, but didn't he and the other gentleman have loaded guns as well? Seems like the guy basically went nuts and shot them in their backs.

I don't believe the presence of a loaded weapon leads to violence. If I did I wouldn't go to the range and a lot of other places.

I do believe in being aware around loaded weapons.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Nope. If I was afraid or nervous about going to the range, I'd be nervous about crossing the street/going to sleep at night/slipping in the shower/getting attacked by Chupacabra/whatever else. You should always be aware of your surroundings but that is no reason to live in constant fear or anxiety.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    :rockwoot:

I think we all look around for a minute when an unknown shooter comes to the bench right next to ours.

Once you notice he knows how to handle his guns properly (keeps them pointed down range at all time, finger off the trigger, knows how to reload, clear malfunctions etc) then you can focus on your own shooting.
    And you're not in danger if you turn your back to that person or dont pay any attention to what he's doing.
    If you notice that the shooter his not really safe then you can and should step up to correct him and teach him a few tips.

Say what? From a lot of what I've read here it is best to ridicule them and leave ASAP.

Looks like I've done something right when giving someone safety tips when they obviously needed them (while doing so very politely).

Top Bottom