Anyone OC a handgun/rifle as part of a Halloween costume?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I wouldn't do it again, too much of a killjoy to have to keep track of it. If for no other reason that to prevent having to spend half the time telling people that they cannot "check it out" or "give it a feel" :ar15: (which many idiots will insist on doing after a few drinks ... after all, they "know it's not loaded" :rolleyes:)

(I had a revolver as part of a cowboy costume a few years back, and the constant pestering to coonfinger it drove me nuts, as did the constant attempts by "fun-loving" a**holes to yank it from my holster to get a closer look. I am told I was a major a** myself as the night wore on, as I would simply bark at anybody trying to grab it.)

It may be that I was just with the wrong group, but I figure that I seldom know more than 1/2 the people at any given party.

Last edited:

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    A lot of people seem dead-set against the idea, and I suppose I see why. I think it depends a lot about what situation you're in, though.

A rifle as part of your costume, probably a bad idea. Too high profile. But people on the board strongly advocate having your sidearm on you at all times. You read it constantly here - "My pants go on, the gun goes on," or "I have it on me at any time it's legal." Why does that change just because you want to get in the spirit and dress up when you're handing out candy to kids, or taking your kids out door to door? If I have a costume that already sports a retention holder of some kind, should I throw an airsoft in the holster and put another holster on under the costume? Or should I just go without and hope this isn't the day I'll need it?

I hardly ever drink; and I don't enjoy loud, crowded bars or parties where everyone is getting "wicked drunk." Quite frankly, groups of drunk people make me nervous, and I avoid those kind of places like the plague. If you're planning on getting drunk, maybe you should think twice about carrying your sidearm that day. If you're going to one of those bars in Broadripple with drunk idiot kids standing around shoulder to shoulder and stumbling into each other (shudder) maybe you should think twice.

I carry when I go out to the bar because I know the owner, it's a low-key place, and because I'm not there for the booze; I'm there for the greasy food and camaraderie with my friends. My friends know I carry, but if I'm going to a friend's house where I don't think they're comfortable with me carrying it in, I leave it in my glove box. I know a lot of people here disagree with me on that, too - but I feel that it's their house, it's their rules. But if I'm going to (or throwing) a "Halloween Party" where 4-6 close friends show up in costume, then we sit and play boardgames, handing out candy to kids who knock on the door (which is generally more my speed) it seems a lot of people here are really advocating that carrying my weapon is a terrible idea and I'm an terrible person for considering it?

Last edited:

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    But if I'm going to (or throwing) a "Halloween Party" where 4-6 close friends show up in costume, then we sit and play boardgames, handing out candy to kids who knock on the door (which is generally more my speed) everyone here is really advocating that carrying my weapon is a terrible idea and I'm an terrible person for considering it?

No, but I would think of that as more of "getting together with a few friends" than "going to a party." ;)

Now if you said it was going to be 4-6 close friends and whatever friends, co-workers, family, etc. that they invited ...

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    No, but I would think of that as more of "getting together with a few friends" than "going to a party." ;)

Now if you said it was going to be 4-6 close friends and whatever friends, co-workers, family, etc. that they invited ...

Point taken. I guess I'm just not much of a "party person." Or a "people person." I don't even like the people I like. :p

More than 6 people show up at my house at once, and I call the fire marshall asking about "maximum occupancy" and fishing for excuses to kick some of them out.

"Sorry, Grandma, but the fire marshall says you have to go."

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I used to reenact early Ohio Valley/Rev War history and was a bit of a "thread counter". I went to a couple of parties dressed as a British Indian Agent or one of George Rogers Clarks men on numerous occasions. I even did a pirate once handing out candy at our house...

I always had either a long rifle, brown bess, thomahawk, sword, sometimes a bayonet, always a knife or two. No one ever said anything. I wasn't drinking at any of the parties and won most of the costume contests I was in, (Even beating out "slutty" nurses, princesses, and Elvira!!:D).

My cousin attended a party dressed as a 1970's TV Undercover cop, (think Beastie Boys "Sabotage" video) and he made sure it was okay (with the hosts) to carry his Nickel 586 Smith and Wesson in a vintage shoulder rig and he had a safety zip tie through the weapon as a precaution. He has a LTCH and had no ammo on him and like previous posters said drank no alcohol.

I think it really depends on where you live and whose party you are going to. In the instances above these were small get togethers and most people around here are pretty gun friendly.

IMHO ofcourse.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    My thought for what it's worth is a pistol can be securely holstered to an individual the entire time. Are you going to be able to (or want to) babysit a rifle through an entire night? Ex, when you want to sit and eat, do you lean it against the table ect.

Bigger concern, do friends or other people who have consumed alcohol assume its a fake costume piece and try to grab it?

In short, halloween party at a friends house with ONLY close friends, go for it. Out in public or other large group with lots of friends of friends of friends I'd advise not.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I think it all depends on the situation you'll be in and the people you'll be around. I can think of places where I would do this and places I wouldn't. Use good judgement, stay safe.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Well, I guess I am DIFFERENT. around 20 years ago, I lived in "Mars Hill", and I dressed up in "Army" "Uniform", and took the kids out trick or treating, I had my .30 cal. Carbine, on my shoulder, with a sling, barrel, down UNLOADED. and my S&W 59, 9mm in a "mil" holster LOADED, just in case..... WE had lots of fun, and IIRC, I only got asked if the rifle was "REAL"..... JME.... Do as YOU wish..... :twocents:

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Are you planning on the bayonet being in place on the rifle? Where is the party located. I'm going as a G. I. Ranger and will have my AR with me. Mabey a semi-mock battle? In essence," blanks."

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I've been the Punisher a few years running just staying at home cooking Halloween treats and passing out candy. Kids (and dads) would always ask if my guns were real. They would get a pretty good kick out of it.

This year we're taking the kiddos out Trick or Treating so I'll probably go as ATM ;)

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...This year we're taking the kiddos out Trick or Treating so I'll probably go as ATM ;)

Outstanding choice. I'm considering going as T_F...

(I just need several friends to dress up as police officers and follow me around removing me from various people's yards.) :):

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    I would say no simply because i dont like carrying props very long. What happens if u decide u want to set it down to grab a drink of some sort, or get tired of carrying it. To big of a risk of it falling into the wrong hands. Aatleast if they stole a replica of some sort you wouldn't have to worry about someone being injured or killed because you got tired of carrying your costume prop around. I am normally the type of person to say hell ya to an idea like this, but this has too much potential of going in a bad direction. What ever you decide I hope you stay safe and have a good time.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I wouldn't. I wouldn't want to keep up with it all night at a party. What are you going to do with it when invited to play Guitar Hero?

Plus I like to have both hands free for snacks and beer.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...What happens if u decide u want to set it down to grab a drink of some sort, or get tired of carrying it...

...What are you going to do with it when invited to play Guitar Hero?

Plus I like to have both hands free for snacks and beer.

There's a marvelous new invention they call a "sling".

Supposedly, it not only steadies your hold factor for shots but allows the use of both hands when not actually firing your rifle. :D

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I've been the Punisher a few years running just staying at home cooking Halloween treats and passing out candy. Kids (and dads) would always ask if my guns were real. They would get a pretty good kick out of it.

This year we're taking the kiddos out Trick or Treating so I'll probably go as ATM ;)

You need a 5 years old girl to follow you around with her hand on the grip of your pistol. :):

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    There's a marvelous new invention they call a "sling".

Supposedly, it not only steadies your hold factor for shots but allows the use of both hands when not actually firing your rifle. :D

Neat. Was it invented by the same guy who invented sarcasm?:D

Top Bottom