Anyone On the Southside have exerience with Rounded Allen Bolts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    I have a rifle that the PO rounded out the allen key and I cant seem to get it loose. Anyone have experience removing a rounded allen key bolt?

If so anyone able to give me a hand getting the bolt out?

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Rounded the key? Not the hole? If it really is just the wrench... No can't be. I must have misunderstood.

Lots of options if you rounded the bolt. You can get a special drill bit that some call an easy out, the tip is like a screw with the threads reversed. Make a little starter hole with a small bit, then use that bit to remove it. Sometimes you can get them out by hammering in a standard screwdriver.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Can you tap a larger Allen bit into the hole and then take it out? If the doesn't work you can cut a slot in it with a Dremel and use a screw driver to remove it. Can you grab the outside with a pair of vise grips? Just a few ideas.... :dunno:

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    Dont know about tapping a different Allen bit into it.,

But Dremel and vise grips are out, its set into a hole and not able to get either down to it without damaging the stock. My attempt at bedding the screw to an properly sized allen key has failed.

IMG_20121111_144543.jpg

J D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Fishers In
    Might try jb welding an old allen tip in the hole. Give it enough time to set up. I'd only do that as a last resort.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    If you have one of those sets that has various sized screw driver and Allen bits just tap one of the bigger bits into it and then try to turn it out. I have several sets laying around here if you can't find one.

Leadster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2012
    I can't see for sure, it appears to be a Button Head Cap Screw, or BHCS.

Any Way, take a pin punch.

Get a hammer.

Put the pinpunch at an angle towards the edge of the bolt head.

Hit the bolt at an angle towards the Counter Clock wise position.

You might have to make a spot on edge before trying on angle.

Caution, don't go too close to edge.

If that fails, drill thru head with same size drill bit as bolt thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remington1100

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Franklin
    Geez, talk about a lousy way of working up your post count for the classified. This takes the cake!

EDIT: DOH, i see it was fixed

I was thinking the same thing. OP if your don't want to damage the part the screw is holding on, I would not recommend using a punch to spin it out because if it slips you have a very nice scratch. As a former mechanic i know this all too well. Do like others have said and get an easy out or try tapping a slightly larger allen wrench into the screw and turning it out that way.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Hard to tell from the pic but is the head all chewed up? It looks like junk, you'd better just give that stock to me. ;)

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    If a E-Z out wont work, and if you can do it without damaging the stock. I'd take a dremel with a cut-off wheel and make cut big enough to fit a flat head screw driver. It must be a good straight cut.

Other than that I use heat, but that may not be a option in your case...

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    Harbor freight has the easy outs for cheap. Menards and Lowes carry the easy outs too. Bad thing about most allen head screws is that they are hardened. It will burn out a few bits. Might as well buy extra drill bits for the job. If you don't have a grinding wheel to sharpen your drill bits. most of the time, easy outs are pot metal and don't take much torque. is there a way to heat the hole that the allen head is stuck in? if so, it will make the job easier than the easy out.

Leadster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2012
    You could try a masonry or carbide tipped drill bit, just to get thru the casing of the bolt, then move to a high speed drill bit. Once the head of the bolt pops off, the pressure will be off the threads and should come out easly.
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Great, sorry for the late post, glad you got it out.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom