• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marrell1482

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    NWI
    So I pulled out the old dehumidifier from storage yesterday. As I was dumping all the water from it into the sink I got to wondering if I could use it for anything? Watering the plants or maybe even purifying and cooking/ drinking it? Anyone else do this? Or know if it would be safe to drink.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I generally use water from the dehumidifier to flush the toilet. It forces me too time bathroom breaks a little better, but I only empty it twice a day max. You can also use it to water houseplants. My dehumidifier is pretty crusty from being in the basement, so I doubt I'd try to cook with the water.

I'm curious if anyone else has more creative suggestions.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Can you use it? Sure, it's water.

As is it will be contaminated with whatever is in the dust in your air and low levels of heavy metals from the evaporator coils. You can probably drink it as is short term with no ill effects, but there's no reason to. Your dehumidifier will have bacterial slime on the coils and in the pan, but that too will probably not hurt you but it may cause minor GI upset if it does not play well with your intestinal microbes.

Treated like you would any other suspect water, either by chemical means or filtration, and it is perfectly fine to drink.

It's a very energy intensive way to get water though. If you want to feel good about using it, dump it on your plants, use it to flush the toilet, etc.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Unless you are sending it to outerspace, all water is recycled.

And that's my smart-assed comment for today.
    p.s. I have a well

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Mine's conveniently located next to the drain, so I don't have to pay it any attention. But it's in the basement, so the lifting is going to be expensive enough energy-wise not to be worth it for gray water. I'd rather collect rainwater.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Necessary? Is it necessary for me to drink my own urine? No, but I do it anyway because it's sterile and I like the taste.

Gosh, I hope you people have seen the movie Dodgeball.

LeadPharmer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2013
    Toledo, OH
    I guess if you had your dehumidifier on a main floor you could get really creative and run the drain hose outside and couple it to a soaker hose in the garden. Then, anytime you dehumidify you trickle-water the garden.

Or, you can just dump the bin once in a while <-- Seems much easier, :-)

Last edited:

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I have thought about running all gray water outside for no other reason than I paid for it, might as well get complete use of it. The drought last year was brutal on the grass. It would have been nice to have something of a green patch right behind the house.

Top Bottom