• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I'm up to a 20lb pack, roughly 5 miles at a time, trying to make it a daily routine when I get home from work and walk the dog. Would love to do it someplace besides the subdivision where I live, and with some company.

www.goruck.com in case anyone doesn't know what rucking is...

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Ultimately yes. I want to do trail running, obstacle races, and rucking.

I'm just about ready to move up to 25lbs, and upping the daily miles. 2 laps around the subdivision instead of 1. Have to carry water for the dog and myself, or leave the dog off 1/2 way through...

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I have been rucking for the last 2 years. I started incorporating it into my workouts to alternate with my daily 4 mile walks. I walk 4 days and ruck 3 days, 4 miles each trip. Be careful with the weight. I got stupid with it a year ago and got up to 40 lbs. There is no additional benefit after 20 lbs, but there is a heck of a lot more strain on your joints (at least for a 50 year old like me).

Dirty Steve

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I do it routinely. Started with GORUCK about 3 or 4 years ago with a Tough Challenge in Indy. 13 hours, 23 miles. Painful.

I generally just ruck with my 6 bricks although today I did a 30 lb sandbag. Up stairs, push-ups, squats, flutter-kicks, sit-ups. As many as possible in 40 minutes. I was broke after that.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    My brother and I are doing one tomorrow morning. Just us but it'll be 6 miles. Each of us have 35lb packs plus we have a 60lb sandbag between us. That should keep things interesting. ;)

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    Looks like fun. Might start doing this as I walk the dogs. What do you use for weights? I saw the plates on the website, but justify plates to take a walk.
    Thanks,

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I made my own. Got a bag of pea gravel. High mil trashbags. Filled each with gravel. Rolled them, then duct tape around the whole outside. Got 5 rolls between 7 and 12 lbs.

ruckme.jpg

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Looks like fun. Might start doing this as I walk the dogs. What do you use for weights? I saw the plates on the website, but justify plates to take a walk.
    Thanks,

I wrapped 6 bricks up in duct tape and put them in my backpack. For the sandbag, I have an actual GORUCK sandbag I just splurged on. Having used their bags in an event, you can see how well they hold up to anything. So, it was a one time, keep forever purchase.

I haven't bought one of their plates. You can use anything you have lying around. My brother used two five gallon buckets of water once and carried them for a few miles. that would suck but the good part about that is you could quit at any time and carry empty buckets back :)

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Did 6 miles this morning with 35 lb pack and a 60 lb sandbag for half the time--my brother and I switched off carrying it. Shoulders are flat smoked right now.

Good living. Go get you some.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    I am training for a 32 mile hike but only carry a camel back. The hike is the Rachel Carson Challenge back in Pittsburgh. It has a lot of elevation change and all the hills are straight up or down, no switch backs. Its pretty tough one day hike. Approx 1/4 of the people don't finish. I'm hoping to break 10 hrs and hoping it doesn't rain the day before of the day of.

I'll have to give the weighted backpack a try next time I go to the 10 mile trail down in Morgan Monroe. But will likely only put in an extra 5-10 lbs just so I don't kill my self

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm getting ready to give rucking a shot. When I recently got married I inherited a nice tread mill in the basement and a pile of bricks my wife had stacked up from an old landscaping project. I have lots of back packs so no excuses not to do it.

I've been putting in about 10 miles of just straight walking on the treadmill per week, plus another 5-7 from walking dogs around the neighborhood. I figure I may as well add some weight to the deal.

I also ordered a sandbag to toss around in the basement since there isn't much room for traditional weights.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom