• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    I have to get an ICD defibrillator implant this week and I’m wondering if anyone has one that’s been able to continue shooting. I’m considering asking them to put it on my right side (I’m left handed) but I’m not sure even that’s an option, or if it will make any difference. Thanks

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have to get an ICD defibrillator implant this week and I’m wondering if anyone has one that’s been able to continue shooting. I’m considering asking them to put it on my right side (I’m left handed) but I’m not sure even that’s an option, or if it will make any difference. Thanks
    I'm thinking they put them on the left due to being closer to your heart (my wife's is on the left, but she's right handed, so never really thought about which side). She has had one for years so don't remember any placement discussions.

Update Edit: looks like it can go on right side if you are left handed, etc per this: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/hea...able-cardioverter-defibrillator-icd-insertion

Unless you have a subcutaneous implant which doesn't have leads.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I have one and had to put down most of my higher recoiling rifle and rounds. No issues with pistols.
    If you are left handed you would most definitely want it placed on the right side and yes they can do it. If you don't I would doubt you would shoot anymore rifles. Maybe 22lr but doubt it. You would become a pistol shooter, which isn't all that bad.
    You will be able to shoot again but there are limitations now.
    Sucks yes but better than most alternatives.
    Good luck, it will take some getting used to. Should be a out patient procedure so youll be back home before rush hour.
    I've had mine for about 4yrs now and aside from the occasional discomfort no real issues.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I am right handed, have a pace maker/defib unit on the left side, got in Oct 2020, started shooting again in 3 months. .45-70 Trapdoor and 12 ga 870. They can put on right side just talk to your heart doctor. By the way I am 75 going to the gym 3 days a week doing a 2 hr workout on resistance machines and walking a 1/2 mile. I had an ambition in Oct. You don't do much till the wires are attached to the muscles of your chest so they don't pull out of the heart.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Had 1 for 8 years and had to replace it 2 years ago with a 2nd one. Both on the left side. No problems shooting whatever I want to shoot. Do not let it stop you from doing what you want. My doctor did tell to stay at least 1 foot away from running engines because they can generate a small electrical flied and that I could use a microwave oven, just don't climb into it. Isn't technology wonderful?

Top Bottom