Anyone take a class at Citizens Defense in OH?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • inchrisin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Hey,

I've watched just about every YouTube video for Lucky Gunner Ammo. Chris has some really great stuff on there for tactical drills and he always brings John Johnston from Citizens Defense with him. Johnston offers classes outside of Dayton, OH and I'm interested in scheduling a class. I'm hoping to hear some feedback if anyone's attended.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hey,

I've watched just about every YouTube video for Lucky Gunner Ammo. Chris has some really great stuff on there for tactical drills and he always brings John Johnston from Citizens Defense with him. Johnston offers classes outside of Dayton, OH and I'm interested in scheduling a class. I'm hoping to hear some feedback if anyone's attended.

I have never heard of either business or person. Do you have links to web sites?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I like Chris at Lucky Gunner a lot. I buy ammo from him and generally just try to support his business. He puts out a lot of good, sensible information. I know John Johnston fairly well, we have done a lot of classes together. For a while there it seemed like I couldn't go to anything without running into him.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I cannot vouch for his ability to teach or anything else about him, but he is a very good shooter. I have watched him shoot a course of fire at the Tactical match last year.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I listen to Johnston's show from time to time, but if I were traveling over to OH, I'd try to train with Dave Spaulding. Experienced. Articulate. Good instructor. 2010 Law Officer Trainer of the Year.

Handgun Combatives

Mike Grasso

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 5, 2014
    Westfield
    I know John Johnston and Melody Lauer. Was invited and went to their class a while back. If you have kids or are around kids it's a must go. Very Very professional and constantly updated with info. One of the 5 classes a CCW holder should go to. I've been looking into local ranges to host them in the Indianapolis area.

Mike Grasso

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    I was fortunate to get to take the beta test version of the class. Here's my review of that: https://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2016/06/contextual-handgun-armed-parentguardian.html

I took an open enrollment version later that year outside Columbus, again at John and Melody's invitation and was impressed with the curriculum as it had evolved.

I intend to pay for a chair in the next year or so at a close-by class so I can see how things have grown and developed.

ETA: I would add that, in addition to their original material, there is a lot of stuff that has been borrowed from the best, since both John and Melody have extensive training resumes. They are scrupulous about attributing sources and encouraging students to go seek training with those sources. This is refreshing.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom