• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • R.G.Gray

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2011
    Anyone use the versacarry holster? I ordered one for my SR1911 commander. It looks simple and will fit any pistol of the same caliber.
    I have some reservations, but the price was right.
    :popcorn:

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    I have one that I use for my PF9 and my dad uses one for his ppk/s. They are nice, I like mine a lot. cuts down a lot of the usual bulk you get with other IWB holsters. One suggestion though, wear an undershirt when you carry with it. I've noticed that if you wear it without an undershirt the controls of the gun rub into your side.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The Gen 2 has a trigger guard from what I understand...

I saw that, but apparently it only covers one side. I don't think I'm that brave. Another thing I saw mentioned, is that it's quite a task to re-holster quickly, which isn't a good thing either.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I saw that, but apparently it only covers one side. I don't think I'm that brave. Another thing I saw mentioned, is that it's quite a task to re-holster quickly, which isn't a good thing either.
    I'd be interested to see the abnormal body growth on your hip that could fire a weapon with ANY kind of trigger pull. If you read on the website it seems as if they're saying it as CYA and almost coming out and saying that's why too. I've searched ad nauseum through Google and cannot find an instance of a NG from this system.

I thought about the reholstering too... My end thought was this: If I'm drawing my weapon, it is because I need to use it (it's not a toy for show and tell). At that point, I don't see myself reholstering it until law enforcement arrives on scene. Of course, I don't work in law enforcement where I could see a need to draw and reholster regularly.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'd be interested to see the abnormal body growth on your hip that could fire a weapon with ANY kind of trigger pull. If you read on the website it seems as if they're saying it as CYA and almost coming out and saying that's why too. I've searched ad nauseum through Google and cannot find an instance of a NG from this system.

I thought about the reholstering too... My end thought was this: If I'm drawing my weapon, it is because I need to use it (it's not a toy for show and tell). At that point, I don't see myself reholstering it until law enforcement arrives on scene. Of course, I don't work in law enforcement where I could see a need to draw and reholster regularly.

It's not about body growth, it's about the clothing you wear. Unless you're in the habit of wearing spandex, it's a valid issue. Pockets, drawstrings, holes, unraveling seams, buttons, all can play a factor. And lets say you're in a struggle, and can't get to your weapon. I'd hate to play the "weapon retention" game knowing the trigger of the weapon is possibly in play.

And as for not being able to put your weapon away quickly, well you better get used to the idea of dropping your weapon. Since you don't have the killer threads that make you readily identifiable as a LEO, if you have been lucky enough to eliminate a threat you still will be a "unknown quantity" to other carriers or LE should they arrive, on scene, quickly. The last thing you need to do is be dicking around with that contraption, when the good guys arrive.... Lest they think YOU'RE the threat, and engage you.

And based on how the product presented, you have to take the WHOLE rig out to "reholster" your weapon. That's a big "no bueno." Look at just about any vid, on YouTube, with seasoned shooters. After they shoot, they scan, and the reholster... Eyes up, still scanning for potential threats. Placing the weapon in its original place is second nature, and done with ease. This system requires the shooters attention be diverted, rather than keeping vigilant.

The ideas was conceived with good intentions, but in practicality, it falls short. That's simply my opinion.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I had not heard of this carry system before reading this thread. Once again :ingo: proves its worth as a great place to learn. Thanks to all who posted on the thread.

I read through the Versacarry website. Versacarry® | Concealed Carry Holsters

Ir provides the basic information. I would like a better photo presentation of the system, a shot of the unit itself seen from 360-degrees. I wanted to see the back side of the unit.

As I thought about it, I realized everything the Versacarry does, I get with my High Noon holsters. Both systems have the external clip. Versacarry puts a rod in the barrel. The rod rests on a flange which points into the body. It doe not exceed the dimensions of the barrel, as far as I can tell, so it should not be too uncomfortable.

How is this different from the High Noon holster? No rod in the barrel, no flange pointed into the body. Instead it has a thin layer of leather between the body and the weapon. This has an important advantage. Trigger protection. Versacarry has a guard that fits between belt/pants and weapon, but nothing on the body side. Thus, it recommends carrying with an empty chamber and with all safety devices fully functioning.

It also has a disadvantage. It makes it very difficult add accessories to the pistol. Lights and lasers do not fit well in the holster. Advantage Versacarry.

Since I do not use lights and lasers, and I prefer to carry with one in the chamber, I will stay with the leather holster.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    It's not about body growth, it's about the clothing you wear. Unless you're in the habit of wearing spandex, it's a valid issue. Pockets, drawstrings, holes, unraveling seams, buttons, all can play a factor. And lets say you're in a struggle, and can't get to your weapon. I'd hate to play the "weapon retention" game knowing the trigger of the weapon is possibly in play.

And as for not being able to put your weapon away quickly, well you better get used to the idea of dropping your weapon. Since you don't have the killer threads that make you readily identifiable as a LEO, if you have been lucky enough to eliminate a threat you still will be a "unknown quantity" to other carriers or LE should they arrive, on scene, quickly. The last thing you need to do is be dicking around with that contraption, when the good guys arrive.... Lest they think YOU'RE the threat, and engage you.

And based on how the product presented, you have to take the WHOLE rig out to "reholster" your weapon. That's a big "no bueno." Look at just about any vid, on YouTube, with seasoned shooters. After they shoot, they scan, and the reholster... Eyes up, still scanning for potential threats. Placing the weapon in its original place is second nature, and done with ease. This system requires the shooters attention be diverted, rather than keeping vigilant.

The ideas was conceived with good intentions, but in practicality, it falls short. That's simply my opinion.

Thanks for the good analysis.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    There's another good thread about this from the not to distant past... I think user Richdraw started it. I will look for the link.

EDIT: The thread I was thinking about was for the ClipDraw - not the Versa Carry.

My opinion on the VersaCarry:

It's not substantial enough that I'd have faith/confidence that it would protect the trigger.

-J-

Last edited:

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I have a Versacarry for my SR9c. I never use it. Ever. No proper trigger guard, no adjustable cant. I use my Blackhawk Serpa and Remora on a daily basis.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    I won one of these from one of their facebook giveaways. Right on the packaging they state they do not recommend carrying with one in the chamber. And yes it has a "trigger" guard but it is on the side that your pants are on leaving the other side open.

Now their new magazine holster looks interesting.

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I use mine with a Glock 26 and I love it, especially in the summer. At first I was skeptical, but after actually using it I no longer have any concerns.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I won one of these from one of their facebook giveaways. Right on the packaging they state they do not recommend carrying with one in the chamber. And yes it has a "trigger" guard but it is on the side that your pants are on leaving the other side open.

Now their new magazine holster looks interesting.
    The trigger guard can be placed on either side.
    It fit me very well, small of back.
    I used one when I USED to carry my XDs.
    the only thing I really didn't like was having something IN the barrel.
    in my opinion, rehostering quickly would not be a big issue. If needed, you could simply put it in your waistband or pocket. Or like Kutnupe said, throw it on the ground, if you had to show your empty hands in a hurry!

Ottboys3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Indy

1 use it frequently between it and my king tuck. Used versacarry during summer w/ shorts leather gets hot! trigger guard covers nicely and pants and belt cover other side! as far as re-holstering I've carried for 18 years and been blessed to never have to pull my gun so re-holstering is not an issue!

Top Bottom