• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    I am going to start reloading for my dads mosin carbine. Started sourceing components and I can get 20rd boxs of ammo about as cheap as just brass, granted the ammo is ppu and the brass is norma. I have ran into at least with 10mm pistol, ppu brass being thinner and my lee 10mm die set cant resize it small enough to hold the bullet. If this happens with the 7.62x54 also then I'll save money by buying the norma. Any one use ppu or have some empties they could compare brass thickness at the neck to another brand?
    Also I'm planning on loading lighter bullets, (125gr ish) Any good luck with a particular light bullet in the mosin? Looking for less recoil and varmint type performance, coyotes of oppurtunity type load.
    Thanks guys

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Can't say I've used their 7.62x54, but PPU .303 British is some great stuff. I'd imagine it would be good to go in 7.62x54 as well.

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    I use PPU and others in the 54' no problems,of course Norma is best.. and I do load 125gr .310 bullets meant for 7.62x39 and they are great at 3000fps .imr4064 seems like a good powder for that combo

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I just reloaded my first bunch of 7.62X54R using PPU brass, havent shot it yet. I also have PPU in 7.5X55 Swiss that I have reloaded several times and it is fine. Jim.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I also have a few hundred PPU 54 R brass and no issues here. Sorry I don't have any other brass to measure for you. I just bought it a few months ago and it was 44.00 per 100. Loaded PPU ammo was 17.00 that's why I bought empty brass to start with.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    PPU brass is usually good stuff, if a little tougher than the commercial brass we're used to in the US. I've shot it in 308, 303 and 6.5x55 with no issues.

I wouldn't go with lighter bullet weights, as these are not likely to group well from this cartridge. Then again, I wouldn't expect varmint type performance (accuracy) from a MN rifle.

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    Thanks guys I'll pick some up and give it a try. The lighter bullets are to try and mitigate recoil without giving up all the performance. My dad has a medical condition that makes him semi recoil sensitive, hoping to get it tamed down to a fun shooting level and still have enough ooomph to do more than punch paper.I'll just have to try it and see if i can make it work 2 moa would be superb but 3-4moa would still work out.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Thanks guys I'll pick some up and give it a try. The lighter bullets are to try and mitigate recoil without giving up all the performance. My dad has a medical condition that makes him semi recoil sensitive, hoping to get it tamed down to a fun shooting level and still have enough ooomph to do more than punch paper.I'll just have to try it and see if i can make it work 2 moa would be superb but 3-4moa would still work out.

In that case, go with something like a 125gr Nosler Ballistic Tip and a reduced charge of H4895. I do this with a 30-'06 and it creates cat-sneeze loads that are still very effective on deer out to 150 yards or more. They'd be fine on 'yotes for 200, at least. If you'd like details on H4895 loads, shoot me a PM and I'll help you get started.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I just ordered some for my bubba mosin. Sportsman's guide had them for $15 a box with a free shipping coupon. I will save the brass to reload. Are you guys neck or full length sizing? What dies are you guys using?
    attachment.php

Top Bottom