Anyone used a Dremel for cleaning your firearms?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I'd considering Duracoating the slide on my pistol. All the little nooks and crannies need a good cleaning but my fat fingers aren't doing it. I thought a Dremel with a soft wheel may help. What do you think?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I'd considering Duracoating the slide on my pistol. All the little nooks and crannies need a good cleaning but my fat fingers aren't doing it. I thought a Dremel with a soft wheel may help. What do you think?

Please step away from the Dremel....

Q-Tips, a toothbrush and a Nylon pick set are your friend.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Also that's a great way to round off sharp corners. I can always tell when I see a re-blued or refinished gun if the person who did it was either lazy or not competent to do it. Sharp edges are gone and you'll see divets, especially where screw holes and pin holes are.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'm not trying to insult you OP. I'm trying to keep you from doing something you can't change. And I'm using my personal observations to do it.
    you can always take metal off but you can never put it back on. Well we won't get into that :):

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Ok I have put the Dremel down. I have asked the wife where we keep the q-tips and toothbrushes (what kind of man needs those anyhow?). I think everything will be ok.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ok I have put the Dremel down. I have asked the wife where we keep the q-tips and toothbrushes (what kind of man needs those anyhow?). I think everything will be ok.

Some of the better cleaning kits come with good nylon and brass brushes. Also include some nice nylon picks. I also have an old electric toothbrush the wife pitched. Took it apart and cleaned it up real good...new battery and it it the real deal for the work you mentioned.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I have seen several firearms damaged by improper use of a Dremel tool, a couple of handguns with the feed ramps so damaged they could not be repaired without part replacement. All the above advice is good. I use tooth brushes, swabs, Q-tips and nylon or brass picks (even brass can damage/scratch areas if used improperly). As has been said even a dry polishing wheel can remove bluing and other coatings. A good soaking with solvent and a little patience using the tools mentioned above will remove all contamination.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Dremel for chopping/smoothing off the front sight base of an AR15 to make a low profile gas block? :yesway:

Dremel for cleaning the slide of a pistol? :noway:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I have used a felt wheel, the one that's cylindrical like a pencil with a round tip, to polish the feed ramp on an xdm. Had great results. But I could see how using the wrong attachment would quickly do damage.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    How about just dropping it into an ultrasonic cleaner for a few minutes?

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

Shrek1980

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've use a small battery powered spin brush. It really didn't clean as good as the toothbrush I used last time. Everyone is right about the simple cleaning tools. I tried to overcomplicate it too.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Somebody gave me a box of little fiber patches for 22's, I like to wrap them around a plastic pick to clean inside the tight spaces.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Be careful about the q-tips. I've used the cheaper knockoffs where the cotton wasn't wound very tight. Left cotton fibers in places I didn't want cotton fibers.

Some of the better cleaning kits come with good nylon and brass brushes. Also include some nice nylon picks. I also have an old electric toothbrush the wife pitched. Took it apart and cleaned it up real good...new battery and it it the real deal for the work you mentioned.

+1.gif
    I use the old heads from my Sonic Care toothbrush just for gun cleaning.

Huh. Never thought of that. I have an old Sonic Care toothbrush that works fine. I just don't like it. Never crossed my mind to re-purpose it and get some use of it.

:yesway:

Somebody gave me a box of little fiber patches for 22's, I like to wrap them around a plastic pick to clean inside the tight spaces.

That's what I do to get into those spaces. Works really well.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Variable speed Dremel run slow with the right tip and some lube or solvent shouldn't be a problem. It's just a matter of having the right touch. Yeah, if you put a diamond burr on it and crank the rpms, you'll rip your stuff up. Don't do that.

Top Bottom