• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Just saw a sign today down the street and I've never heard of them. I called and they're priced comparably to Viasat with their 30mps package though I can't even get 1mbps with Viasat so I'd be happy at half of what they claim. Their website shows over 500k subscribers in Indiana, any members using it? I'm curious to hear what's good and bad.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Their Yelp and Facebook comments are mostly pretty spicy.

I mean, they're an ISP so I get that people are going to complain, but some of them are pretty dedicated to the task. They don't seem to worried about responding to them either (the most common complaint).

My parents Frontier in Laotto S-U-C-K-S so I'll be following this one along...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm not exaggerating when I say I can't get 1mbps download speeds, at $160/month with Viasat. I still think it probably has something to do with their satellite receiver pointed directly at the side of my house but what do I know. I've called a few times trying to get someone to come out and look at it and they just want me to play the "go to your modem and do the hokey pokey" game which has never helped.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Exactly the same song and dance with Frontier at my parent's place. It worked fine for the first few years they were there and then a line or piece of equipment somewhere upstream of their house began to fizzle out (IMO, anyhow) and it's been getting worse and worse since then. Some days it's 0.2kb/s, if that, when it's up long enough to run a speed test. It's worse in the summer and worse in the damp. About once a year they send a tech out who replaces their router, which then requires me to go around and put everything on a new network again, and nothing really changes.

Frontier also took a fair amount of glee telling me the only other option was HughesNet, which is astronomical in price and hilariously data vs. speed capped. It was something like more than 50GB at useful speeds dropped you down to 1mbps for the rest of the month and all for only about what you're paying now.

Humbug... Let's all go back to 56K! ;)

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    What are the issues?

Speed is fine. It goes down at least 4 times a week. We have an awsome tech who gave us his direct line, but when it goes down he is the only one who cares. Calling the main number is 100% pointless. When calling the main line, they actually tell you to report outages online which is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

That said, when my internet goes down (usually for 5-10 minutes) the world stops turning because that's how I make my living. For most folks if it goes down for 5 minutes, it's no big deal.

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    have a friend [business] in laotto with the same problem, it has outdated equipment that they wont replace. its down by huntertown gardens. told him someone need to slide into it this winter so it can all be replaced.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    Just saw a sign today down the street and I've never heard of them. I called and they're priced comparably to Viasat with their 30mps package though I can't even get 1mbps with Viasat so I'd be happy at half of what they claim. Their website shows over 500k subscribers in Indiana, any members using it? I'm curious to hear what's good and bad.

Given your location, try these guys, locally owned and operated out of Noblesville AND they specifically list Arcadia as a coverage area: www.ori.net

Wireless broadband is line of sight and coverage area is dependent on location of their antennas. I have similar service (not theirs, they don't have coverage in my area) and I am satisfied with the service.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Given your location, try these guys, locally owned and operated out of Noblesville AND they specifically list Arcadia as a coverage area: www.ori.net

Wireless broadband is line of sight and coverage area is dependent on location of their antennas. I have similar service (not theirs, they don't have coverage in my area) and I am satisfied with the service.

I went ahead and signed up with Bridgemaxx. There's no contract so if they suck I'm out $100 for the install, a risk I'm willing to take at this point.

While speaking with the lady on the phone when she pulled up my address she half mumbled "oh you're right there by the tower" and there is one of the really tall ones a mile down the road. Fingers crossed it'll be better than what I have now. If not I'll give the ori guys a shot.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I went ahead and signed up with Bridgemaxx. There's no contract so if they suck I'm out $100 for the install, a risk I'm willing to take at this point.

While speaking with the lady on the phone when she pulled up my address she half mumbled "oh you're right there by the tower" and there is one of the really tall ones a mile down the road. Fingers crossed it'll be better than what I have now. If not I'll give the ori guys a shot.

I hope it works out for you and I'll be following along on this.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co

Cool, will be interested to hear how bridgemaxx works out for you. (I've never heard of them until this thread)

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    When I lived out in the country, I had Bridgemaxx before they were Bridgemaxx. Zig Wireless. When it was Zig, if I had an issue and called, I would more than likely speak directly with the owner. Bridgemaxx is completely different.

I was about a mile from the tower, direct line of sight, and the old owner even put test equipment at my place because of the location.

There were a few times it could be a day or more before someone could get out to climb the tower to fix an outage. I didn't have many outages as I recall. I had friends about 2-3 mile east that were on the same tower, different radio, and they upped their speed so they could stream movies. They got sick of all the outages and went with Frontier.

I still have service, because I keep my office out there, but I am not on it every day. I have the 3 MBPS, and the speed is fine.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've been using the hotspot on my phone almost all of the time now but I don't have enough data to carry me an entire month. If I get to cut that in half it'll be a huge improvement and actually worth what I'll be paying for, unlike now.

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    Almost a year ago we switched to a company called Ubifi. They basically resell AT&T service to you, but claim no throttling and no data caps. It is a little costly at $100 a month, but I can honestly say it has gone down on us twice. Once last March when Covid first sent everyone home, then again last month for about 20 minutes. I usually average about 20 MBPS down and 10 up, not speed but more than fast enough for either streaming or working from home.

It is no commitment, but you do have to buy a LTE modem with was like $300. I also splurged on eBay about bought a few external antennas and quality cable for them. The ATT tower is 5 miles from our house, and almost line of sight which helps.

dmazzio

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Danville
    For the last 15 years I've had really crappy AT&T service. In 2014 I was able to upgrade it from1.5 to 6Mbps, actual speed was 5 down and .75 up. Just got the TMobile service a little over a week ago $50/month unlimited data/ no throttling / no contract. So far so good, 32Mbps down and 12Mbps up, a vast improvement from what I had.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    For the last 15 years I've had really crappy AT&T service. In 2014 I was able to upgrade it from1.5 to 6Mbps, actual speed was 5 down and .75 up. Just got the TMobile service a little over a week ago $50/month unlimited data/ no throttling / no contract. So far so good, 32Mbps down and 12Mbps up, a vast improvement from what I had.

Are you talking about cell phone data?

Top Bottom