Anything else along the lines of a Kimber Sapphire Ultra II?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    So my sister saw one of these at the range recently and is smitten. Anyone know of any other colors/makes/models of semi-auto handguns like this:
    KimberUltraSapphireII2-1.jpg

Or websites that show various color options for manufacturers that have colors?

Do these clean up well? Off hand I am worried about scuffs and scratches.

I've never seen one in real life, I haven't seen anything past black, stainless, chrome, OD green, camo...that kind of thing. Never sapphire, ruby, or kryptonite.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    My son-in-law has been lusting after one of those for a couple of years. He finally found one. He probably will never shoot it. It is very pretty. He winced when I dry fired it. I don't know of any other handgun prettied up like it by any manufacturer. It is absolutely gorgeous and I will never find out how durable the finish is because it is going into a display box.

Sorry. That is all I know about it.

UGaARguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2015
    Lawrence County
    Typically, PVD coatings are very hard, highly abrasion resistant, and have very low coefficients of friction. A couple of major areas of use of PVD coatings are industrial punches, and industrial tools used for cutting metals. However, there are quite a few materials that are applied as coatings using one of at least four PVD process, and the coating material is chosen based on the application.

So, the Kimber Sapphire finish should be quite durable and should clean easily. You could also have any other gun's slide and small metal parts stripped, and then PVD coated. Ion Bond is one of the better known trade names for firearms PVD coatings.

jooky52198

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Great info, I have been wanting one of these forever and have wondered about the finish as well. I dont want to buy a gun just to put it in a case and never use it, waste of money in my opinion. So thanks for the info, cant wait to pull the trigger on one of thse

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My wife lusted after a Kimber Sapphire after seeing one at the NRA show in Indy. I said no way because keeping a 3" 1911 running is always tricky. Then along came the 4" Sapphire Pro and I ordered one for her 40th birthday. Nice size gun, accurate. The gun simply was not reliable out of the box. Kimber told me 800 round break in. I literally took that gun to the range and ran the 9!$$ out of it. Still a no go. After many rounds I finally swapped out the mainspring, recoil spring and retentioned the extractor. Finally have it running 100%. Problem is now my wife doesn't like the sharper recoil as a result of my using a lighter main spring. She does shoot the gun well but not as well as her Smith SW1911.

The finish has held up fairly well. The thumb safety shows wear and the gun has some light scratches. But overall not bad. Now that it runs it doesn't tick me off anymore. I do like the size and weight of the gun.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    that onyx would be a sweet sweet bbq gun, or any formal black tie event. classy as they come. the other colors are just a little loud for me and i cant imagine one of these fairing well in repeated holster use.

rausch51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    The Ville
    I once saw a lady open carrying a pair of Kimber Sapphires. I don't know if she could hit anything with'em, but she sure did look good carrying them!

Top Bottom