• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I've got a serious soft spot for the M79 grenade launcher. Is there anywhere in Indiana/Kentucky/Ohio/Illinois that I could have the chance to fire one? Do they show up at Knob Creek perhaps?

I don't have the cash to drop to buy one, but I would be willing to pay to shoot it as well as bring my own ammo or buy ammo on sight (chalk marking grenades, of course).

I know there are places that rent machineguns, so somewhere in our wondrous nation there has to be one that rents DDs.

Not trying to waste anyone's time with a stupid question; this is just something I've wanted to do for years.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    I'd say Knob Creek would be your best bet to get your hands on one. Close by (relatively) and there are always lots of toys to play with if you have the cash to spare.

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    I think if you really want to try it they offer a chance to shoot some really neat weapons I believe it is in Serbia , live fire HE rounds, RPGs grenades etc... They had an article about it in SAR

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I think if you really want to try it they offer a chance to shoot some really neat weapons I believe it is in Serbia , live fire HE rounds, RPGs grenades etc... They had an article about it in SAR
    Cambodia is also a great destination for such things.

Trigger Time high explosive grenades are each a DD, but smoke, flare, and chalk marking grenades are treated like any other piece of ammunition. Heh, I'd pay the cash just to fire an HE round though. Rarer than hens' teeth by what I hear.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I think each 40mm round is a DD so would it be $200+ per shot? :): daaaaaaamn
    Yes, if they were explosive rounds and registered by/transferred to a non-SOT. An 02 mfg can make them tax-free with the proper licensing. Each 40mm explosive round would have to be serialized and entered into the NFA database. I believe that's how it's done for police flash-bangs as well.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Oh sweet sweet M79... I got to launch a few out of one a while back... prototype one at that... but you get those perks when you're in the right place at the right time and know the right people... I'll say no more... except uncle sugar paid for the ammo :)

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    does it HAVE to be a M79? used 40mm launchers that are similar can be had for cheap, $2-250ish from time to time (non-lethal).
    Do you mean 37mm? I see lots of those in that price range. If there's a 40mm at that price I'd definitely want it.

Blanquito82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    UK
    I had the chance to shoot one about 10 years ago. We were doing 203 qual and our armorers had found one as a layover from Northern Watch. Being inexperienced at the time I treated it like a regular 40mm launch. Didn't really have a good stock weld and there's definitely more recoil. Many laughs were had that day.

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    Only chalk rounds I know of were for the 203. And to the OP, I went to Knob Creek last April and do not remember seeing one there. Of course, that doesn't mean there will not be at some point.

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    Cambodia is also a great destination for such things.
    Don't know if any of you read the DVM blog, but they just annouced a trip (Holiday) in Cambodia with a Survival course, and range day with a M79 and B40 firing. DVM EXPEDITIONS ? 6 NIGHTS ? 7 DAYS CAMBODIA EXPEDITION ? March 4 ? 10, 2014 | DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE

Not something I can do right now but I'll put it on the lottery/bucket list.
    Can you have chalk rounds for a 37mm?

I'm wanting to say they're legal, but I've never really heard of one.
    This thread made do a little research, it is a gray area and there are no retail 37mm chalk rounds since they may be considered to be possibly used as anti-personal, which includes less-lethal rounds. There are directions on how to load your own but it might then put your 37mm Flare launcher into the DD category (which there are some). Since it has a part that is designed to impact instead of signal, the retailers at least have decided that chaulk rounds aren't kosher.

Also there is a B&D 37mm M-79ish Launcher out there, not quite an exact copy but it might scratch your itch.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Sign up to be a 11B and shoot it for free! :): I prefer the Mk19 as it is totally bad ass!
    If we're "one-upping"... The MK47 ALGL beats them all... nothing like an air-burst 40mm with a computerized optics system that automatically compensates for the drop of the projectile no matter where you aim it... of course, there is a reason nobody knows what it is. It's a super expensive platform that uses super expensive ammo (to utilize the air-burst feature) so there are only a handful of them out there, as in, 20-30 total AFAIK. A couple are right here in Indiana, the remainder (with the exception of maybe a couple more demo/training units) are fielded in various theatres of operation and are in the hands of SOF guys... so unless you work with the SOF guys you've probably never seen one in person.

I've seen several in person... ;)

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Do you mean 37mm? I see lots of those in that price range. If there's a 40mm at that price I'd definitely want it.

Hey B/W I know this is an older post... I have done some looking. I prefer a M79 myself. They are nice but they have quite a price tag because they need a DD dealer. Quite rare. Besides the grenade rounds (which you can't get anyway)a good 37mm does about the same. If you are just looking for chalk rounds the 37 is the way to go. A lot cheaper and don't need the transfer. The 40s do hat some cool beehive rounds but the accuracy is like a shotgun. The high cap ones have a lot of kick.

Not sure if you have been there but Grogs site has all the info you need. If you want all his specs he sells a cd with all the info on do it yourself. Check it out lots of info. Sure is a lot of stuff. Not just like picking up a rifle and some ammo. More like a whole new world. Taking 40mm cases and lathing them down to fit 37s

Grog and the band's 37mm and 40mm Webpage

BTW the grenade rounds sound cool, but talked to a guy who actually bought a case years ago. (1000 rounds??) Very very rare situation. Not as fun as you would expect. Not like the movies where cars flip over (haha) Plus you have to figure out what to do if you have any duds... Hmmm

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Heh, when I saw the old thread bump my first though was "race to 50", but that's actually a lot of good information. Thanks for the link, I hadn't checked that website before.

He mentioned registering a 37mm as a DD and boring out to 40mm, and that sounds like a pretty neat idea. I see some 37mm launchers that are very close to M79 in appearance. When the difference between the real deal and close enough is several thousand dollars, I can settle for close enough.

Or, as you said, leave it a 37mm and just use it that way. I'd like to be able to buy the factory chalk rounds though. I'd feel a bit uneasy making specialty loads for these. Plus there's still debate about chalk round legality in a non-DD 37mm.

Thanks again. Good to have you here at INGO.

Last edited:

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Or, as you said, leave it a 37mm and just use it that way. I'd like to be able to buy the factory chalk rounds though. I'd feel a bit uneasy making specialty loads for these. Plus there's still debate about chalk round legality in a non-DD 37mm.

They always caught my eye... I reload regular ammo so reloading these is no big deal. Just a little different. The plastic cases have close to a 38 shell pressed in the back. You can press it out of the case, reprime. fill it with powder and reinstall. Chalk rounds in a 37mm? Never heard of a problem. Just have to stay away from the explosive rounds (bird bombs) Those I would get leery of making anyway. Duds in the barrel would freak you out.

BTW chalk rounds are made by taking a shell, plastic cone, and filling with chalk line dust. So no explosive. You can get the dust all over in different colors.

Lot of info there... Takes a while of digging.

Pretty bad, was going to say I always wanted one but never got one. Then I thought I do have a 37mm gas gun in the safe... Things you forget about. Used it to shoot 22MM??? surplus flares with the adapter. Heck, you may have sparked my interest again.

Top Bottom