• ...and so much more!
  • Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    FYI for those who travel out of state:

I remember hearing when ISP started tagging LTCH holders on the DL look up, but thought it was said by some of our LEO members that this was only done in Indiana. I guess either my memory is flawed or that is false information.
    Today I rolled up to the gate at Ft McCoy, WI like I do every Tue and Fri to make a delivery at the commissary and was greeted by a new DoD Guard. Most of the others take my DL, scan it I to their entry logs and waive me on by, but the newbie had to 'run me in the system'. When he came back to the truck he caught me off guard.

Guard: "What are you carrying"
    Me "Groceries"
    Guard "No, what are you carrying concealed"
    Me "What?"
    Guard "It's says you have a concealed carry license, do you have a weapon?"
    Me "I have nothing illegal. I always secure my sidearm IAW Army and Post Policy in a lock box, unloaded, prior to approaching the gate"
    Guard "Ok, thanks. Have a nice day"

+1 to the guard for being cool about

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    thought it was said by some of our LEO members that this was only done in Indiana

Remember, depends on perspective. State and local coppers cannot see what the feds see and are only reporting what they are told by Higher Higher.

Feds have been doing this for a while now thanks to the Real ID stuff. It is still hit and miss what they can find and humans are plugging the info in and retrieving the info.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Pretty dangerous bnch we are...

Reminds me of the ballad of he uneasy rider.
    "He's a mastermind in the ways of espionage"

I wonder if LTCH uolders are as dangerous as say, felons. Or maybe registered sex offenders and that their info comes up as readily for LEOs.
    I dont particularly care to be lumped into those groups.

rsklar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Many states are now reporting the Concealed Permit Information on the DL Records. As other states begin to move toward the enhanced ID computer systems, they can see all the populated fields including CCW. These systems also populate with your DL picture and various fields showing endorsements, if you need corrective lenses, etc.

There are state only fields and there are national data sets. Currently there is no actual requirement that Permit information be included, there are many data elements that can be used by the States to add their information.

I know of at least 10 States that currently report gun permit information on the DL lookup.

citrigin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    :-) I love it. If they do not want you to carry, they should not have issued the permit. I have put up with too many stupid carry-related issues.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I wonder what this will mean in Chicago. Will McCarthy tell his force to draw down on someone on a traffic stop just because the NCIC flags them as having a carry license?

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    Would it be wrong to just have this listed on our DL? Just thinking if they tied the databases together within the State maybe it could list it like my corrective lenses endorsement and I would not have to carry a DL a Lifetime hunting license or a lifetime carry permit. It is nice to have a seperate copy but man I think it would be nice to just have it listed on my DL. Now maybe I am not thinkning of something though. What do you guys think?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Would it be wrong to just have this listed on our DL? Just thinking if they tied the databases together within the State maybe it could list it like my corrective lenses endorsement and I would not have to carry a DL a Lifetime hunting license or a lifetime carry permit. It is nice to have a seperate copy but man I think it would be nice to just have it listed on my DL. Now maybe I am not thinkning of something though. What do you guys think?
    I think it's a horrible idea and would give many cops an added excuse to jack you up on a traffic stop, seize your firearm and search you and your vehicle. Leave well enough alone.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

When you take a new job or even just when you have to show ID at a bar or to cash a check or whatever.... Do you want all of the people involved in all those transactions knowing you are or could be armed?

I suppose you might be one of the people who open-carries and doesn't care who knows you're armed. My personal preference is not to OC, but I absolutely agree that it is the right of those who choose to to do so. I don't think anyone should be forced to disclose to whoever wants to know that he is armed, however.

And no, this is not a CC/OC threadjack.

Blessings,
    Bill

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    When you take a new job or even just when you have to show ID at a bar or to cash a check or whatever.... Do you want all of the people involved in all those transactions knowing you are or could be armed?

I agree, but having worked jobs that required checking IDs in a couple of states you might be surprised how many people shove their CHL at you with a smug smirk as if they were somehow getting over by implying that they had a weapon. I was always tempted to break it to them that they weren't the only ones armed. :rolleyes:

Anecdotally, Texans were the worst about this.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    One good that it does is prevent innocent yet forgetful people from going to jail. You'd be surprised how many people lose/forget their wallets and not their guns.

Top Bottom