• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Look for this ruling to applied against the RIAA/MPAA cabal in the very near future. MP3's and digitised movies are just code and can't be "stolen" by pirates. Just copied. I can't help but wonder what the response of the RIAA and MPAA will be. I'm betting Micro$oft is pissed, right now. This puts a serious crimp in their anti-piracy schemes.

Appeals Court Rules Computer Code Is Not "Property" and Can't Be Stolen

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Wow. That is really interesting. I completely applaud the Court for their finding, but alas I think this will be going to SCOTUS. As you said, the rats at the MPAA/RIAA (one of the most corrupt, criminal enterprises ever to be on the earth) will be pumping money in to help with the appeal. They can not allow this to stand.

By the way, nice to see an interesting thread.

xanderphillips

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    I'm betting that they could get people on theft of "Intellectual Property" instead of piracy. I've always hated the term 'Piracy' for theft of software / media. 'Piracy' should be reserved for pirates! (as in theft on the high-seas). To call a kid in the basement of his parents home illegally downloading torrents a pirate sort of belittles the actions of Blackbeard, Henry Morgan, Captain Kidd et all. May as well call everyone that shoplifts 'Assassins' or something. Assassination has about as much to do with shoplifting as piracy has to do with software/media theft.

my $.02
    Xanderphillips

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I'm betting that they could get people on theft of "Intellectual Property" instead of piracy. I've always hated the term 'Piracy' for theft of software / media. 'Piracy' should be reserved for pirates! (as in theft on the high-seas). To call a kid in the basement of his parents home illegally downloading torrents a pirate sort of belittles the actions of Blackbeard, Henry Morgan, Captain Kidd et all. May as well call everyone that shoplifts 'Assassins' or something. Assassination has about as much to do with shoplifting as piracy has to do with software/media theft.

my $.02
    Xanderphillips

Further Proof that Anti-Pirating Laws Are Written by Morons - RPC Comics

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Following a ruling that one's life is not one's property, one may wonder why this took so long?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Maybe I could still get run up for piracy if I wear a peg leg and a three-cornered hat with a parrot on my shoulder while illictly copying code? Maybe I would have to do it by wireless internet while boating?

Top Bottom