Apple Won't Create 'Backdoor' to Help FBI Access San Bernardino Shooter's iPhone

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    yxV36jy.png

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    Good on Apple for standing up to "The Man". They have unlocked phones in the past but this time it's different. The government doesn't need the key to just let apple do it. I hate apple but good on them !

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    So is there no method for password recovery then? Like I said I've never messed with an iPhone, but having no way to recover a forgotten password seems pretty crappy to me. Secure, but crappy.

If you can't remember a four digit password perhaps you should not own an iPhone. I find it hard to believe you are able to earn enough to pay for it yourself. Heck, I even remember my childhood phone number, the first number I had to memorize.

Why didn't the FBI just whack off the terrorist thumb and gain access to the phone with the biometrics? A great question for all the anti's that want biometric safeties on handguns.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you can't remember a four digit password perhaps you should not own an iPhone. I find it hard to believe you are able to earn enough to pay for it yourself. Heck, I even remember my childhood phone number, the first number I had to memorize.

Why didn't the FBI just whack off the terrorist thumb and gain access to the phone with the biometrics? A great question for all the anti's that want biometric safeties on handguns.

speaking of... As I recall there was a recent court case that established that biometric passwords are not protected. You can't be compelled to unlock a device with a passcode, but they CAN compel you to use your fingerprint to unlock it. Something to consider if you have enabled touch on your iDevice for convenience.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013

Let's just slow down a second here. Are you saying that you doubt I could earn enough to pay for one, or is that a rhetorical "you"?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Why is this still an issue? I thought the local IT geek wiped the phone when he did a remote reset.

speaking of... As I recall there was a recent court case that established that biometric passwords are not protected. You can't be compelled to unlock a device with a passcode, but they CAN compel you to use your fingerprint to unlock it. Something to consider if you have enabled touch on your iDevice for convenience.

This just seems like further evidence that the courts make this **** up as they go on personal whims. So much for rule of law vs rule of men.

jtdet01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Apple VS. FBI - I am LOL! How many on this site are engineers of some type, software/hardware engineers, electrical engineers, or embedded systems engineers. I am laughing about this ridiculous debate going on in the news. Neither Apple nor the FBI are willing to say the truth and the American public is debating Security versus Privacy. It's ridiculous.

Engineers at Apple are undoubtedly amused and frightened as they are nervously deleting the source code for the testing automation tools that they created during the design, development and testing of these products.

The FBI wants the ability to hack anyone's phone. They directly requested the tools to to provide this capability. Some judge bought into it without understanding of the consequences. Stop it. The FBI does not need this capability.

I am disheartened by Apple's claims that they can not access the data from the San Bernardino Shooter's phone, a single phone. Apple engineers had to perform testing before that model of phone was released and manufactured, so they already have all the tools needed. At a minimum, they had to test the feature in question so they clearly already have means to turn on/off. Don't give it away to the FBI but don't claim it doesn't exist.

Apple does not want to admit that they can hack anyone's physical phone. Apple knows that all physical devices can be disassembled and have the data extracted. Apple knows this admission to the world would affect share price and overall company reputation.

During my career, I have seen hundreds of testing tools created to test products and individual components of products, as large as a truck and as individual as a single chip. Of course there are virtual development tools today that are used to design, develop and test before any chip ever touches a board.

Please FBI, provide the phone to Apple and put your hands in your pockets. You don't need any further tools.
    Please Apple, just take the phone, work magic in the lab, and provide the data. (You know you have the ability.)
    Come on, it's not that difficult to work together!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Please FBI, provide the phone to Apple and put your hands in your pockets. You don't need any further tools.
    Please Apple, just take the phone, work magic in the lab, and provide the data. (You know you have the ability.)
    Come on, it's not that difficult to work together!

I think this is all a big guess on your part.

Top Bottom