• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    For what it's worth: My XD9/Glock 19 comparisons.

Please understand I'm relatively new to shooting (two years now) so it's not like my opinion means much to most of the viewers on here.

However, I feel in my lesser of experience I might be able to shed some light on potential new shooters/buyers of one of these very fine firearms.
    In this comparison, I'm comparing only the XD9 4" Service model against a Glock 19. I have owned both and shot both. I have also owned an XD-40 4" and a Glock 23, both share same attributes as their "brothers" in this comparison.

Going apples to apples, I'm comparing the categories as listed below:

How does it fit in my hand?
    XD9: The XD wins it for me. It feels natural to my hands with its' seemingly slim grip. I read about it being a 1911-style grip angle, but in my personal experience I disliked the aim with this grip angle.

Glock19: The glock also feels good in the hand, but when still getting used to it I felt it was way too bulky. Felt like I was trying to strangle polymer every time I held the gun.

How many failures has it had?
    XD9: The XD wins in the first 500 rounds. 0 FTF, 0 FTE, 0 Stovepipes. Fired TULAmmo, Remington UMC and CCI Blazer TMJ all 115gr.

Glock19: The glock can't win in the first 500 rounds as the gun has only seen 250 thus far. 2 FTF (Old Mag Related), 0 FTE, 0 Stovepipes. Two of the included 10 round magazines I got with this (used) Glock 19 are old and will need to be sent in to Glock for replacement.

How good is the finish?
    XD9: The XD has what is reported to have the Melonite (supposedly identical to Glock's Tennifer) finish. I don't see it - the XD picks up scuffs and marks from many things. Even sometimes brass which is strange as brass is a soft-metal.

Glock19: The Glock wins hands down, the finish on the slide has yet to scuff or stain, and even to the touch it is beautiful. I have a thing against touching dry things (semi-phobia against COTTONBALLS) and the XD reminded me of touching them at times. The Glock feels like bliss.

How is the trigger pull?
    XD9: The XD ties with the glock as they both feel equally weighted and just as snappy as one another. Springer Precision does outstanding XD trigger jobs, but will cost you a pretty penny.

Glock19: The glock ties with the XD as they both feel equally weighted and just as snappy as one another. Glock is the eventual winner as you can order a 3.5LB trigger connector on the cheap ($10) and reduce the trigger pull from factory 5.5# to roughly 4.5#. And on the upside, you can install it yourself.

How are follow-up shots (trigger reset)?
    XD9: The XD has a less admirable trigger reset to me because it seems to have twice the travel as the glock to reset.

Glock19: The glock is the winner hands down.

How are follow-up shots (recoil management)?
    XD9: The XD loses the recoil management side for me. For some reason this thing was snappy, even with its' dual recoil spring and seemingly stiffer spring.

Glock19: The glock is the winner hands down. I can rapid fire 10 rounds consistently and hit a 3" target from 5 yards away no problem. The recoil spring is light on the Glock, making it easy for my wife to use. And yet still the recoil is lighter in it.

How is magazine capacity?
    XD9: 16+1 Magazines. Can't deny that one extra round is always nice, XD wins.

Glock19: 15+1 Magazines. Can't say I need 15 rounds plus one in the pipe to hit a few targets standing in front of me - but they're there if I need it. The glock doesn't necessarily lose, but it doesn't win in comparison to the XD.

How is weight?
    XD9: The XD weighs slightly more than the glock. The real difference is in how the slide is weighted more in the front of the gun.

Glock19: The glock weighs slightly less than the XD, but not enough to notice a real difference to me.

How much do extra mags cost?
    XD9: $32 Factory Mags locally
    Glock19: $27 Factory Mags locally

How are the sights?
    XD9: Three dot fixed sights, winner in my book. However unfortunately the XD9 didn't hit POA at any distance. People tell me it was the trigger but I refuse to accept that; my XD40 was a tack-driver. This gun was easily dry-fired as much as it was fired with live rounds, I knew the trigger well.

Glock19: Glock bar-dot sights are terrible in my opinion. I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn if I wanted to with them. My Glock 19 had Meprolight Tru-Dot Tritium 3-Dot sights that are 7 years old yet perform perfectly even in mid-dusk.

In summary:

Glock 19: 5/9
    Springfield XD9: 4/9

I chose to stick with the Glock 19. The XD-40 4" was my very first firearm and I loved the accuracy it had, I was hitting bullseyes often at 15-25 yards - I'm far from being a good shot but it was a damn good one.
    The XD9 was very inaccurate and inconsistent in its' aim for the first 450 rounds (literally). The Glock 19 hits point of aim consistently every time I shoot it. I annihilated a small 3" pool toy with 35 rounds (all I had on my belt at the time) with every shot fired.

I want anybody who actually read this to know that I've always been biased in my choice of owning Springfield Armory's XD series pistols over the stereotypical Glock pistols, because of that first XD-40 I owned. But after I have owned more guns and shot more in the last years, I know what matters and where the bullets land is important.

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    Thanks for taking the time to write out your experience. Good read. I have tried other pistols myself but have always gone back to Glocks.

JJT*90

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2011
    Nice write up. It was a good read, as I am looking at a Glock right now. Thanks for putting it together.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Good write up. Your last statement about having the rounds land where you want them to land, a very VERY important factor. Many times what just feels good to hold may not be the right choice after all. I love my Glocks but the M&P autos in both 9 and .45 are quickly becoming a favorite of mine. I like them both and if I just based what gun I would shoot solely on how it felt to hold, the M&P would win but it had to come down to something performance based and the Glock gets the nod for me. I still shoot and compete with my M&P's but the Glocks that I own have proven themselves with a level of reliability that my 2 M&P autos have not, so far.

Again, great write up!

Last edited:

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    I have had no issues hitting point of aim with the XD9. It is my EDC. I have tried Glock and they just don't fit me. Good comparison, it just goes to show one gun does not fit all.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    I have had no issues hitting point of aim with the XD9. It is my EDC. I have tried Glock and they just don't fit me. Good comparison, it just goes to show one gun does not fit all.

Absolutely no problems with my first XD40, either. At first it was a superb shooter. I would've kept it and it would be my EDC as well, however at the time of my owning it I had to sell it for my expanding family.

I like the simple and true wording you used: one gun does not fit all.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Great review. Nice comparison. Have never shot an XD, but my great (and first gun) 92FS just doesn't shoot POA as easy as my G19. The two both hold 15 rd magazines, but I can get more hand around the Glock.

Jetrefz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I think the stock trigger of the xd is better than the glock but i concur on the finish of the XD. The extra safety below the dovetail would have likely prevented some butt shots to some officers but that is debatable. The XD slide is a little taller than the glock....it makes the gun look out of proportion and it is not as compact....as far as reliability i would call it a draw...the xd is little more pleasant to shoot but both of these would be a good choice for everyday carry

Top Bottom