• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    LR-.308. Correction attempted. 16" heavy barrel: will it work-up into a 1000-yard precision rifle? Anti-zombie weapon. Original Post retro-fitted to come up-to-speed with all the following GREAT info. My Agency is the Militia. We do enforce Law (Constitutional Law.) Pat

Last edited:

SamW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    W. Lafayette
    wtf is a 1000 yard sniper gun?

But I digress, a factory DPMS barrel is less than ideal for long-range target/people shooting. And the 16" bbl length MIGHT keep a hot, heavy round supersonic out to the 1k mark in a bolt-action rifle, but most likely not in an AR platform.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    First off, the DPMS .308 guns are designated LR308. AR-10 is Armalite, and yes, they care a lot.

Second, if you are talking about a sniper weapon then I assume you are working for a legal agency such as LE or mil, and you'd not be asking. Most prefer the term "precision rifle" since we will not be using it for sniper work.

Finally, to your question, a 16" barrel will not allow .308 rounds to stay supersonic out to 1000 yards. 18" might do it with some rounds, but you need at least 20".

Does that mean a 16" barrel won't shoot a .308 to 1000 yards? No, it will, but accuracy is going to pot.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    If you want to shoot out to a 1000 yards I consider something else. May be a DPMS with a 20'' or 24'' barrel but personnally I'd more favoring a bolt gun or if it has to be a semi possibly M1A or FNAR. Although I am not in detail familar with the DPMS 16'', I don't think it will be capable of shooting 'accurately' at these distances.

SamW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    W. Lafayette
    Buy DPMS, chuck old trigger, chuck barrel.

Call Krieger.

Spend lots of money.

Shoot .260 or 6.5 Creedmore

Spend more money

... and BLAMO! a 1,000 yard gas gun.

Or call GAP and get on the waiting list.

SamW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    W. Lafayette
    there's a great article on 6.5 creedmore, 6.5x47, and .260 in a 'heads up' battle.

They basically came to the conclusion that you should shoot whatever makes your pants tight.

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    So, I'm torn.

It's a S.....R-gun, no matter what the P.C. folks may say. I don't shoot bulls-eye targets; I shoot android-looking silhouettes, and terrorist figures, and acorn-nuts at 1000. Now my decision is whose 24-incher I'll buy. 6.5mm Creedmore takes a lot of pressure to even come close to .308 at (just for comparison) 1,000 yds. Zero-ing @ 200-yds, there is a ten-inch deeper drop on the 6.5 vs .308, Win. round. So Creed-6.5 is eliminated. I'm searching ballistic-tables comparing my .308 ( 165gr custom-loads) to .300 Rem. Short Action Ultra Mag, .308 Winchester std., and .338 Federal. Any experience out there? I have a 24" S.S. fluted Bull-bbl. scouted out for $500. But it is only available in .308. Is .338 Fed. any better at 1000? I keep saying "1000" because that is an ultimate range suggestion. Yep, I know I'll be getting lots of flack over this, but some good advice also. As I said, this is to be my Zombie gun. Also considering a custom build on the .50BMG side-mag feed, 29-inch. But $2500 is a lot to consider. Pat

Last edited:

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    Found some interesting test-data

Keeping it a gas-gun, using commercial ammo brands, getting a ¾~1" on a 500-yd tgt is attainable. But the 24" is absolutely necessary. So, it comes down to a caliber choice. Luckily, the DPMS will take a lot of choices. I'm seeking a zombie 'hit' before the sound gets there. Pat

If you want to shoot out to a 1000 yards I consider something else. May be a DPMS with a 20'' or 24'' barrel but personnally I'd more favoring a bolt gun or if it has to be a semi possibly M1A or FNAR. Although I am not in detail familar with the DPMS 16'', I don't think it will be capable of shooting 'accurately' at these distances.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    First of all a gas gun that shooting 1000 accuratley, will cost $$$. ,maybe a couple K more than you intend to spend. .308 can do 1000 yards, but I've only been around M14 custom builds when it comes to gas guns. I'm sure an AR platform can do it, but you'd be hard pressed or hard cashed, should I say, to find someone to build you one to the specs you are asking for. Why are you determined to hit 1000 yards?

Do you have any long range experience? If you don't, my suggestion is find a nice .308 bolt gun made for long range and hit a class or try it on your own. Pure expirence will open your eyes to what is and what isn't possible with (insert certain kind of rifle). Training and time is invaluable when it comes to long range precision work.

I'm not trying to sway your one way or tell you your ideas are a joke, but what you are asking for will cost beaucoup dollars and will require tons of time logged on particulars of long range shooting. Believe it or not, say you purchase a hot rod custom precision rifle, it does not allow you to immediately be able to get all efficiency out of said rifle, it takes working it, training, and I'm sure a ton more money on ammo, smith work, and lost hours of your life.

If you intend to search for an AR platformed rifle as you are describing, I suggest you do tons of research, buy the best equipment (buy once, cry once), and commit yourself to learn to run the rig you have built up.

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    Thanks 'WTF'. Sage advice to an old newbie. I want to fling a large bullet (I have accumulated pre- and post-ban ChiCom AP and API .308 Z-K {Zombie-Knocker} to use) at the placement I might need. Understood, I'll use a lot of Ball-ammo getting there. Time is all I have, and a moderate set-back man-toy cash supply. Yeah, 24~29" barrels are not free. Thee 1000 figure is simply a stated range, and if I can stay Super-sonic out to even 500 I'l be smiling. Thanks again. Pat

SamW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    W. Lafayette
    The AR-10 is a superior platform to the M1A for 1,000 yard shooting. It is just inherently more accurate.

But I digress, if you're trying to decide between a .308, .300WM, and a .338, you've got a lot more research to do. the .338 is a few leagues above and beyond the .308

Sounds like you should buy a DPMS .260 and be done with it ;)

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    It's a S.....R-gun, no matter what the P.C. folks may say. I don't shoot bulls-eye targets; I shoot android-looking silhouettes, and terrorist figures, and acorn-nuts at 1000.

available in .308. Is .338 Fed. any better at 1000? I keep saying "1000" because that is an ultimate range suggestion. Yep, I know I'll be getting lots of flack over this, but some good advice also. As I said, this is to be my Zombie gun. Also considering a custom build on the .50BMG side-mag feed, 29-inch. But $2500 is a lot to consider. Pat

To you it may be a sniper gun. But I'm a civilian and unless there's a total collapse of civilization I have zero intention of becoming a sniper. It's not about political correctness, for me it's about having respect for those who actually are military snipers since becoming a sniper is not about the gun. I too shoot at human silhouette targets and practice as if I might be shooting another person, but that does not make me a sniper. I am, however, quite proud to be a precision shooter.

FWIW, $2900 on a .50bmg is middle of the road :cool: I own two and the biggest cost with the .50 is not buying the gun, it's feeding it. I've now spent almost as much shooting my .50s as it cost to buy one of them...

I'd say stick with .308 since there's the most data out there and the guns are reasonably cheap for the accuracy.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Have you looked at the 6.5 Grendel? I have a Les Baer 20" barrel and a JP Enterprises 24" barrel and when you compare the ballistics to a .308, it's a sweet little round. Easy to reload, not a whole lot of recoil and it seems to be getting more and more attention.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Learn to shoot the tube you have until you it is holding you back. Then re-barrel. There are few calibers that have the service life of .308 WIN (5000+). Just about any of the 6 or 6.5mm tubes will give service life less than half of that. I say that to say - learn to shoot long-range with .308 and then choose another caliber that is more efficient at that same ranges and beyond, like .243.

.308 Winchester Cartridge Guide

Top Bottom