• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    When it comes to ARs chambered in 308, pick a platform at stick with it. AR10, or DPMS pattern. There is a difference and you'll find out that stuff from both can't interchange fairly quickly.

I'd go DPMS pattern for easy of finding parts and cause they share a new parts with AR15s.

Mega Maten receiver sets are sweet. Seekins Precision is also doing a 308 but I don't think offering receiver sets at the moment. Just get a receiver set from the same manufacturer, since there's no real standards for 308s, even if both receivers are Armalite or DPMS cut, it doesn't mean they'll fit perfectly.

If going DPMS pattern, and for a bolt carrier group, POF's Ultimate Bolt Carrier Group is pretty slick.

Barrels: Mega, Black Hole, Rainier, lots of good barrels out there.

When it comes to rails, you have to get a rail that matches the receiver height (if DPMS pattern). Some are high tang, others low. A Mega Maten monolithic would eliminate this issue, but Midwest Industries, Centurion, Fortis, Rainier Switch make cools rails for the 308. I've never held one before, but the looks are there, is the 308 rail from 556 Tactical.

You can get a 7 position receiver extension so you can run a 556 carbine buffer but use a special spring. You can also get a 6 position and run a 308 carbine buffer and spring. I think there's 2-3 other ways on how to do the spring/buffer system now (that's another cluster of the 308 AR world)

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I've seen the "d3" I think it was in person and it was amazing. I've heard great things but never fired it.
    id take a knights SR-25
    I wouldn't build one. The factory built ones are so affordable anymore it's worth it to buy new and built

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    AR10 is a trademark of ARMALITE. If you want to build one, then Armalite parts are the only way to build one. If you are building a 308 AR style of rifle, then there are many different makers. They all don't mix and match since there is no mil-spec. So, take your chances with a "build it yourself" 308 AR.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I don't think there's much "chance" involved; you pick the Armalite or DPMS pattern and you go with it. Yes, you have to do a little more research than you do with an AR, but there's no real mystery to it. FWIW, I went with the DPMS pattern solely because I wanted to be able to use Magpul mags...

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    ............I went with the DPMS pattern solely because I wanted to be able to use Magpul mags...

My Armalite AR10 uses Magpuls (it came with them from the factory). Also uses the DPMS style steel magazines. I know for a fact that you can't mix AR10 uppers/lowers with DPMS pattern rifles. All the furnature and/or BCG doesn't necessarily interchange either.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    My Armalite AR10 uses Magpuls (it came with them from the factory). Also uses the DPMS style steel magazines. I know for a fact that you can't mix AR10 uppers/lowers with DPMS pattern rifles. All the furnature and/or BCG doesn't necessarily interchange either.

AR10 take AR10 mags

AR10A takes DPMS/SR25 pattern mags

I'd definitely get a lower that takes DPMS/SR pattern mags

Top Bottom