• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Anelson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Indiana
    I've looked around and used the search feature first so please lets not start off with comments like that .
    My questions are really just how hard is it to build one. I've owned several ar's in the past but I want to build one from the ground up. I'm good with my hand and am mechanically inclined so from what I've seen and read up on it shouldn't be all that hard right?
    For those of you that have sbrs what is the run around with those do you have to file all paper work before you can take possession of just the barrel or file the forms before mounting the upper on the lower?
    Lastley I was wondering if anyone has used the YHM front gas block w/ flip up sight? Just seemed like a two birds one stone type of equipment.
    Thanks to all that can offer up some personal opinions,
    Anelson:patriot:

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    I've looked around and used the search feature first so please lets not start off with comments like that .
    My questions are really just how hard is it to build one. I've owned several ar's in the past but I want to build one from the ground up. I'm good with my hand and am mechanically inclined so from what I've seen and read up on it shouldn't be all that hard right?
    For those of you that have sbrs what is the run around with those do you have to file all paper work before you can take possession of just the barrel or file the forms before mounting the upper on the lower?
    Lastley I was wondering if anyone has used the YHM front gas block w/ flip up sight? Just seemed like a two birds one stone type of equipment.
    Thanks to all that can offer up some personal opinions,
    Anelson:patriot:

They are not that hard to build. I would build your first with someone who has but if you can follow the steps you can find on the web and some good Youtube videos its not to hard. A second person can come in handy for a couple of steps but if you have the proper tools it's very easy with one person.

The SBR question. Yes you need to have your lower and file the paperwork before installing either the upper or stock on it (plus you have to engrave the lower with your info). Now some build the AR in a pistol form (pistol buffer tube) - (no stock) until the paperwork comes back and then just swap the tube and add the stock to it to complete the SBR.

Sorry no help on the gas block.

Anelson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Indiana
    MJRDUCKY - Can you buy the barrel fisrt before you file the paperwork? I have no problems filing the papers but just wanted to make sure just in case I come across a good deal that I cant pass up lol.
    Anelson

Anelson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Indiana
    You know I use YouTube all the time for stuff like this its slipped my mind on this deal thanks guys for bringing that up
    Anelson

slowmo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Indy area
    If you are mechanically inclined then I would say go for it. As others have said it is pretty easy. I assembled my own lower for the link OneBadV8 posted. I did not build my upper, but I have pretty much torn down and reassembled my upper while installing my free float handguard. The upper requires more of an investment in tools. It's not particularly expensive, but it is just an added cost.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    MJRDUCKY - Can you buy the barrel fisrt before you file the paperwork? I have no problems filing the papers but just wanted to make sure just in case I come across a good deal that I cant pass up lol.
    Anelson

You don't have to buy the barrel first. But you will need to know the barrel length. It's on the Form 1 to fill out. So you can do either depending on the steps you take.

BearArms Jim

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I built my first lower from an exploded diagram. I put the trigger spring in back asswards. don't do that. I had some double discharges.

But if you have good direction, it is not hard

these days you can almost buy any upper you want so i just build lowers and buy uppers. No head spacing to worry about.

Put a match trigger in the lower in the the fist time you will not regret it

Top Bottom