• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AFutureSoldier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Hey guys my Dad and I are going to build Ar-15 and I was wondering the what parts are good? what parts are bad? Whether we should go gas piston or impingement etc. note: this is probably going to be a long term project.

Atlas5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    You can find good parts on BCM. Also check out Daniel Defence and Spikes Tactical for the larger parts like the upper and lower receivers. Aimsurplus.com has parts in as well but do a little research on the parts before you buy. But this goes for pretty much and gun part you're looking at.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Just start reading up on some of the posts on here, Your going to get a million different answers as far as what to buy or not to. It really just comes down to buying the best that you can afford. Palmetto State Armory would be a good place to start looking as well as Midway USA for parts. Good luck on your build.

dlbrown75

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    9   1   1
    May 2, 2011
    Newcastle, IN
    Im doing one right now also. Its my third go round. Im starting with a Delaware Machine lower. I almost bought a Seekins billet but to me the extra cost isnt worth it. ($110 for Delaware, $250+ for Seekins). Now Im onto LPK's. Have it narrowed to 3 choices, and they are all basically the same. CMMG, Damage industries(from INGO), or I like this ICE company I saw an ad for on INGO. Thats where im at now. Ill keep you updated. Keep your eyes open for Daniel Defense, Colt, Knight, at a good price ill get on of these uppers and maybe barrel.

GMack_1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2009
    Montgomery Co.
    I have built a few AR's, but whimped out on building the uppers myself. I have the tools, but head-spacing uppers was "just for the professionals" at the time. If you don't get it right, and you build it yourself the damned thing can blow up. Please research everything you do, and get it checked out by a pro gunsmith..., many of which are in your area and would be grateful to help (at no charge). Vid on headspacing...

AR-15 - How To Check Headspace - YouTube

Trevor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2013
    Schaumburg
    Building an AR is pretty easy. Take a look at BCM, Daniel Defense, Knights Armament, Geissele, LMT, etc. they all make great parts. For my AR I went with a complete upper from BCM and then built it the way I wanted it. If you're going to build it over a long time build it exactly the way you want it and don't cut corners.

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    160   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    like someone else said there are a million differant ways and choices, you said hunting and training, i like an 18" barrel with a rifle length gas tube, short enough to manuever and long enough to reach out to 600yds accuratly, rifle length gas system helps reliability and eases cleaning, Do not skimp on your barrel! trigger should be a nice 2 stage. i use a RRA with a 3.5lb trigger and a full power hammer spring, Geissle triggers are also great. midwest industries makes nice free float tubes at reasonable cost, go with a customizable tube, quad rails are bulky and for me uncomfortable to shoot off hand. LPK i like CMMG. BCG i use to think it didnt matter but now days i know better, go with a nickel boron or stainless steel. receivers upper VTOR MUR 1 best upper receiver made. I use a billet lower but as long as its milspec it will function fine, i just like the lines of the billet. i have and love my Magpul UBR but it is kinda heavy, that said it really balances the rifle.JUST MY:twocents:

AFutureSoldier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Thanks everyone for the help so far sorry for the last responds I was camping. Any way when you guys say gas you mean gas impingement right? Also it's true at all mil spec part will work with each other? I want to double check just so I don't order stuff and they don't work together.

Top Bottom