• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Now what if you own a r.r. and u want to use a dias to make the gun run is that a no no?

Yes, that would be illegal. Because the DIAS is considered a machine gun by itself you would have two machine guns, one of them unregistered.

This is similar to the HK platform if you had a registered sear and decided to drill a hole in your receiver for a swing-down lower. Because ATF considers a receiver with a front pin hole drilled as a machine gun, you would be in possession of two machine guns, even if with the parts you have, only one gun runs full auto.

Kenny87ky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    I've heard that the DIAS sold in shotgun news is out of spec and still need some machining to actually fit in a DIAS compatible firearm. Since the device would still need to be altered to be function as a DIAS, its just a hunk of metal, till you make it fit. This is just a theory based on previous threads I have read in the past.

Perhaps someone should contact them and try to get an answer, if there is a legal loophole they are going though then they should have no problem explaining why its ok to buy one.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    I've heard that the DIAS sold in shotgun news is out of spec and still need some machining to actually fit in a DIAS compatible firearm. Since the device would still need to be altered to be function as a DIAS, its just a hunk of metal, till you make it fit. This is just a theory based on previous threads I have read in the past.

Perhaps someone should contact them and try to get an answer, if there is a legal loophole they are going though then they should have no problem explaining why its ok to buy one.
    If it's more than 80% complete it's still a reservation package to Club Fed.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    If it[STRIKE]'s more than 80% complete[/STRIKE] functions as a machine gun or can be redily made to function as a machine gun it's still a reservation package to Club Fed.

FTFY

There's no such thing as 0%, 50%, or 80%. It is or it isn't.

DIAS aren't attached to the receiver and have to be timed to the receiver. do it wrong and your weapon can go KB. If it slides around even a few thousands of an inch your weapon could go KB. Using one seems like a bad idea to me.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    FTFY

DIAS aren't attached to the receiver and have to be timed to the receiver. do it wrong and your weapon can go KB. If it slides around even a few thousands of an inch your weapon could go KB. Using one seems like a bad idea to me.

Lots of people use them all the time with no ill effects. It's not as dangerous as you claim. KB's are not that common on AR's/M16's. They do happen, but in 99.9% of cases, a mis-timed DIAS causes function problems, not explosions.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lots of people use them all the time with no ill effects. It's not as dangerous as you claim. KB's are not that common on AR's/M16's. They do happen, but in 99.9% of cases, a mis-timed DIAS causes function problems, not explosions.

I'm not claiming it's dangerous, however - there are very tight tolerances in firearms to ensure it functions as designed. When parts break or wear, those tolerances are not met and sometimes with catastopic results. Stone a trigger too much and it may fail and strike the hammer without being pulled. Putting a piece of metal into a receiver and relying on its location when clamped into place between the lower and upper reciever seems like bad mojo to me. Not saying it won't work, or I wouldn't use one in a pinch - just that it seems like a bad idea.

Who wants to be that 0.1% where it does KB?

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    FTFY

Thanks for the correction.

Top Bottom