• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount
    A couple months ago, I bought my first AR. By the looks of it, it's a custom build with a value oriented spikes lower, with an unknown upper (if someone can suggest a way to find out, that'd be awesome. :)), and a very heavy ER Shaw stainless full length barrel.

When I took it home from the gun store, it was clearly never cleaned since they day it was assembled. But I shot it a few times before cleaning anyways, just because I was so pumped. From the very start, I had issues with the ejected round not coming out all the way; sometimes getting half out before being shoved sideways into the next round against the breech, or even at times making a full 180 in the chamber without actually exiting the gun.

After that, I did a thorough cleaning, but it's still failing to eject on average about 5-8 rounds out of 30.

Everything looks like it's in well enough shape mechanically, but I'm not professing to be even remotely close to an expert on what things should look like, specially when the weapon is performing so poorly.

So if anyone could help me with this problem, it'd be much appreciated. :)

Last edited:

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    sounds like a weak extractor spring/rubber or even a worn extractor. if the extractor looks good and sharp i'd just replace the spring/bushing and try that. maybe even add one of those o-rings to make it even stronger. generally the blue rubber bushings are bad, black are good (someone correct me if that is wrong).

hope this helps?

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    sounds like a weak extractor spring/rubber or even a worn extractor. if the extractor looks good and sharp i'd just replace the spring/bushing and try that. maybe even add one of those o-rings to make it even stronger. generally the blue rubber bushings are bad, black are good (someone correct me if that is wrong).

hope this helps?
    Exactly what I would say. Check this 1st. If still having issues check your gas system for leaks. The carrier key at the top of the bolt carrier needs to be snug and staked.
    images

looking down on gas key at top of bolt carrier

Look for large amounts of powder residue where the gas tube meets the front sight or gas block.
    gasport2.gif

These have been my experiences with solving the issue you state.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm no expert but it sounds like it may be under gased. I was having a similar issue with mine. It was not common but it did happen. Found out my gas key was not staked properly and gas was escaping. There by the bolt would short stroke, not allowing the spent case to properly eject. I would check your gas key first. There should be no play in it whatsoever. I'm guessing you have a Model 1 upper. I know they use ER Shaw barrels.

TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount
    Since I'm trying to install a new handguard on it today, once I get the gas system apart so I can slip the new handguard on, I'll deffinately make sure it's rosy there. If that doesn't prove fruitful, I may just buy a whole new bolt group. This one's carrier key isn't staked in the least bit, and if it's indicative of the overall quality, I'd rather have a better one anyways.

I'm guessing you have a Model 1 upper. I know they use ER Shaw barrels.
    I think you may be right there. I checked out their site, and noticed that their 20" uppers page, with a few tweaked selections mirrors exactly what I have. Stainless, non-fluted, 1/8 twist barrel, green round hand guard, A2 fsb with thinnest round sight. Can select that exact setup on their 20" page for not much more than the extra $50 the stainless barrel costs.

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Since I'm trying to install a new handguard on it today, once I get the gas system apart so I can slip the new handguard on, I'll deffinately make sure it's rosy there. If that doesn't prove fruitful, I may just buy a whole new bolt group. This one's carrier key isn't staked in the least bit, and if it's indicative of the overall quality, I'd rather have a better one anyways.

I think you may be right there. I checked out their site, and noticed that their 20" uppers page, with a few tweaked selections mirrors exactly what I have. Stainless, non-fluted, 1/8 twist barrel, green round hand guard, A2 fsb with thinnest round sight, and A3 receiver. Can select that exact setup on their 20" page for not much more than the extra $50 the stainless barrel costs.

Hope you get the issue resolved. The gas key on my Bushmaster was staked, just not properly. I had no issues until I got up around 2,000 rounds or so. I field striped it after my last range trip. Found that the key was loose and the most forward bolt had sheared off. I wound up ordering a full auto carrier group from BCM. It's staked to military spec. I'm going to put my Bushmaster carrier aside for a later build.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Try using different ammo. Next time you fire it, look into the ejection port. If the BCG is cycling fully, you might not have a gas leak. What I would do if the problem persists with ammo from different manufacturers is replace the ejector spring, extractor spring and black insert, and tighten and stake the gas key. If that doesn't resolve the problem, replace the extractor too.

Last edited:

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    Exactly what I would say. Check this 1st. If still having issues check your gas system for leaks. The carrier key at the top of the bolt carrier needs to be snug and staked.
    images

looking down on gas key at top of bolt carrier

Look for large amounts of powder residue where the gas tube meets the front sight or gas block.
    gasport2.gif

These have been my experiences with solving the issue you state.

thank you for this last picture! i do not own an ar yet but have been trying to just read and learn and this is a big help!

thanks

jale

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    a friend of mine who was with the army for a number of years (who i have asked many dumb ar related questions) told me as the firearm sees more use, beware of carbon buildup under the tip of the ejector. he had this issue during training, and cleaned and cleaned it, but every so many rounds he would have to call out that he was down and would have to work out the issue on range. he went to the armorer and asked what was going on, armorer took a pick and removed the carbon buildup and problem went away. or at least thats the story i got out of him, made sense to me. might be worth a shot. hope it helps, if not, sorry.

TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount
    Ok, so I think I have this figured out, but if so, it raises another question or two.

Basically, I replaced the collapsible stock with a fixed length stock, which has a longer buffer tube, stiffer spring, and a much heavier buffer. Once I did that, the issue went away entirely. I've put about 150 rounds through it without issue since then and everything has run flawlessly.

But if that was the issue, my question is why? Heh. In all honesty, the collapsible stock does look a little out of place on a full length AR, but I do prefer it, simply because I shoot better with a shorter length of pull than the fixed stock. So along with why, my next question would be, how can I fix the issue with the collapsible stock?

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    I am running collapsable stock on my 24" bull barelled upper that is a model 1 sales upper, and have never had a problem. The BCG is not one from model one sales. Perhaps your buffer or spring was out of spec?

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Ok, so I think I have this figured out, but if so, it raises another question or two.

Basically, I replaced the collapsible stock with a fixed length stock, which has a longer buffer tube, stiffer spring, and a much heavier buffer. Once I did that, the issue went away entirely. I've put about 150 rounds through it without issue since then and everything has run flawlessly.

But if that was the issue, my question is why? Heh. In all honesty, the collapsible stock does look a little out of place on a full length AR, but I do prefer it, simply because I shoot better with a shorter length of pull than the fixed stock. So along with why, my next question would be, how can I fix the issue with the collapsible stock?

A Vltor A5 receiver extension and A5 buffer, along with a standard rifle spring would get you where you want to be and be very reliable. A lot of R&D went into this plus quite a bit of military testing.

Top Bottom