• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    DPMS makes a great rifle. The Ruger and S&W basic models are both around 600 bucks and either will serve you well. Anyone spending time thinking about parts to build their first AR is wasting their time and energy that could be better spent buying an inexpensive factory rifle and lots of ammo and learning how to shoot it.

There is nothing magical about a big buck AR.

I know I won't convince anybody, but I still need to say it out loud. And be sure to buy a couple dozen quality mags too.

Yeah, I said a couple dozen.

Magazines are the AR weak point. Not the parts that make up the rifle.

Last edited:

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    What do you want to do with the rifle? What do you want it to look like?

You've dropped some names that cover a wide range of prices. The absolute ONLY way I'd put $2000 into an AR15 is to have exactly what I wanted.

My advice is to start with a rifle in the $600-$800 range. You'll learn a lot and figure out if you really need more in a rifle.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    @jd4320t I want use this gun for shtf situations, be able to hit a target 600/700 yards away, built strong and reliable, and for looks I'm not sure

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    @jd4320t I want use this gun for shtf situations, be able to hit a target 600/700 yards away, built strong and reliable, and for looks I'm not sure

Awesome. I'm not sure what needs to be in an AR for 6-700 yards but I know I'm not skilled enough for those shots lol.

I'd guess a chunk of your money will need to be on optics to reach that far accurately.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    Right, I want good optics, I got to handle a FNH sporting AR and it was amazing lightweight 7lbs and the trigger was amazing timney competition trigger, not sure how it would handle a "zombie" attack but it was really nice

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Right, I want good optics, I got to handle a FNH sporting AR and it was amazing lightweight 7lbs and the trigger was amazing timney competition trigger, not sure how it would handle a "zombie" attack but it was really nice
    Does the $2k budget include optics? That will change the equation.

munch520

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2015
    midwest

If you get a gun with a quality barrel, you can do both with an ammo/optic swap.

I have a Noveske N4 14.5 that is a 2-minute rig but also could be a great fighting gun. Aimpoint T1 or Nightforce 2.5-10x32 dictates which roll it plays. MK262 and other like 75-77gr loads are hyper accurate when the NF glass is on there.

Top Bottom