• ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Found this on an ARFCOM FAQ:
    (SAAMI cartridges do not begin with a decimal).

This is a severe case of selective OCD by folks who want to show how smart they are.
    so we can no longer say ".223" or ".308," either, because saami calls it "223 REMINGTON" or "308 WINCHESTER?"

I'm still on my period (not sure I'm talking about punctuation, either)

-rvb

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    This is a severe case of selective OCD by folks who want to show how smart they are.
    so we can no longer say ".223", either, because saami calls it "223 REMINGTON?"

I'm still on my period (not sure I'm talking about punctuation, either)

-rvb

Still shooting .556 NATO? :cool:

It's not just SAAMI, but the folks who designed the round in the first place and named it such. As far as I am concerned it's a peeve because I really like the round, all right? If I really was interested in showing how smart I am I'd be correcting people's grammar. Or going around saying how much the people who go around correcting people's grammar are just a bunch of smartypants know-it-alls.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Bump to say that its looking like .300blk is here to stay, as evidenced by folks still talking about it at the 2014 SHOT Show.

That's funny, I just replaced my 10" 300BLK Noveske with a 12.5" 5.56mm Rainier Ultra Match. Ammo, especially subsonic, is not readily available nor reasonably priced. The 300BLK will remain in storage till the ammo situation improves or I buy a Dillon 550.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Good video and thread resurrection. I really like my 300BLK, and took a deer with it this year. Worked great! One thing I would like to see is some development of heavy gr projectiles for use in subsonic rounds that have reasonable expansion. While the heavy pills do have a lot of "Energy" behind them when subsonic, they have thus far done a really good job of poking a nice .308" diameter hole in whatever I'm shooting. I've seen a couple of home-grown hollow points out there that mimic a handgun hp projectile. In my opinion, much of the extra energy is wasted since it isn't being expended over a larger surface area like a handgun bullet would do.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Got a 16" barrel & parts late last summer and rednecked an upper out of parts I had around. I know it's a lot of barrel, but once Mother says I may, I'll be sawing it off. One thing and another I haven't had it out yet, but I've collected a good bit of factory ammo and (re)loading supplies for supers and subs. Can't wait to test out the night vision and for my cans to sneak through the bureaucracy.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I did end up getting a Noveske 300 BLK SBR barrel. I just haven't assembled it yet. I guess I need more 300 BLK koolaid 1st. :koolaid:

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    Looks like an interesting round, but do they have any loadings that surpass 7.62x39mmm energywise? And are they're any militaries adopting it that would lead to large scale production? I mean, I like the round, but I dont think I could be able to afford to shoot it much.

And does anyone sell 7.62x39 with the longer more aerodynamic bullets like .300 Blk uses?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Looks like an interesting round, but do they have any loadings that surpass 7.62x39mmm energywise? And are they're any militaries adopting it that would lead to large scale production? I mean, I like the round, but I dont think I could be able to afford to shoot it much.

And does anyone sell 7.62x39 with the longer more aerodynamic bullets like .300 Blk uses?

Lemme find my load data, but I have some comparison data that is pretty interesting. In short, a 125gr 300BLK is very close to 123gr 7.62x39, and actually performs better at range due to the better b/c of the bullet I selected for the comparison. All in all, 7.62x39 is a good comparison in terms of ballistics.

As far as the 7.62x39 goes...I doubt you'll find much of it loaded with better performing bullets. Remember they are .311 vs. .308, and what is typically on the market is "mil-spec" in that it is very similar to the standard 7.62x39 FMJ rounds.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Good video and thread resurrection. I really like my 300BLK, and took a deer with it this year. Worked great! One thing I would like to see is some development of heavy gr projectiles for use in subsonic rounds that have reasonable expansion. While the heavy pills do have a lot of "Energy" behind them when subsonic, they have thus far done a really good job of poking a nice .308" diameter hole in whatever I'm shooting. I've seen a couple of home-grown hollow points out there that mimic a handgun hp projectile. In my opinion, much of the extra energy is wasted since it isn't being expended over a larger surface area like a handgun bullet would do.

You would be looking for these:
    Lehigh Defense 300 Game Changer

Not cheap, but they exist.

Hazwhopper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    I had started a 300 build but decided that i would have a gunsmith finish it. Looks great and have 147 bullets and 208 amax. Waiting for warmer weather. Have high hopes. Looks cool though.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    So all this hype about 30 caliber ballistics that are "really" quiet from an AR ? I still don't understand the draw to this round versus the AK platform . Why not just get an 7.62 x 39 AR?

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    So all this hype about 30 caliber ballistics that are "really" quiet from an AR ? I still don't understand the draw to this round versus the AK platform . Why not just get an 7.62 x 39 AR?

With supersonics it's no big deal. The magic happens with an SBR, subsonics and a suppressor. When someone asks me about mine, I tell them that unless they're going to suppress it they'd be better off with an AK. If the cost of 300BLK and 7.62x39 ammo was anywhere close to equivalent the decision would be much harder for me. That's why I'm in the market for a reloading setup.

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    I assembled my 300BLK today. It's an Alpha M4 profile upper (16") on a Palmetto (blemished) lower with Magpul furniture and a Vortex Strikefire optic. I purchased everything on sale and managed to put this together for just under $650!

I'll load a run of sample loads tomorrow with 125 and 147 grain bullets and hopefully function test her next week.

This will eventually be suppressed, that is as long as I can convince the Minister of Finance that it is a worthy investment.

This is was my first AR build, and I'm afraid it won't be my last!

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009

Suppressed is where the 300 BLK really shines. Also, for hunting, there are lots of bullets for different applications that you can choose from, since it uses standard .308 bullets. The AK doesn't have the same selection/performance when it comes to hunting bullets.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

As noted, the subsonic aspect is a big draw. That, and the 300BLK shares a common bolt and magazine with a typical 5.56 AR platform, whereas a 7.62x39 requires a unique bolt, and unique magazine, which have been tough to come by at times. For the reloader, it is much easier to reload 300BLK (most of the low cost 7.62x39 out there is not reloadable), and the bullet selection is better since it uses standard .308 bullets vs. .311.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 7.62x39, but the 300BLK does things just as well, and uses common parts to do it.

Top Bottom